cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorist stopped by Police for laughing.

Community Veteran

Motorist stopped by Police for laughing.

A motorist was stopped by the police because he was laughing.  Can you believe it?  it's a pity the police don't try catching real criminals instead of picking on the poor motorist every time.
http://tinyurl.com/dene8q
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Motorist stopped by Police for laughing.

I'm not defending the police here - but playing devils advocate.
The police have said quite rightly that a high proportion of deaths of younger people is in road accidents, ( total road deaths per year greater than 3,000 ), far more than any other single cause. And of course some of those that die are the innocent victim of a driver crashing into them.
Also a lot of criminal activity is linked with use of road vehicles, going to and from crime scenes, etc etc etc..
However - I agree this incident of a driver laughing appears trivial - so may be a rather too zealous police office - but have we all the story ??.
And the police are also very active at railway stations, airports, ports etc etc - so it's not just the motorist they stop.
I read a statistic recently saying that 150,000 people were stopped and questioned at railway stations in the last 12 months - some just for taking photographs of the railway and the trains.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I wouldn't have tollerated being questioned for 35 minutes.I'd have asked him for a piece of paper and pen, his name rank and collar number, asked for the same information about his Inspector. I'd have then told him to give me a 'producer' if that's what he wanted to do, and/or caution me or arrest me with a warning that I would see him in court for wrongful arrest after I'd written to the Chief Constable.
techguy
Grafter

techguy checks date
Nope it's not April 1st.
I'll say here that if the guy was in absolute hysterics it may cause him to take his attention off the road which may have given the officer cause to pull him over and just give him a mild warning as its not really an offence but yes I agree (if you believe the mail but generally I treat mail stories with a large cellar of salt) then the 35 minute interrogation was a tad harsh.
Community Veteran

Identical story in other papers also.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If the driver was having a little chuckle then the police would not have noticed. He must have been doing something fairly extreme to be noticed. Then I suppose a stop and check could be justified in case the driver was under the influence of drink or drugs. What followed seems excessive. Part of the problem is that having stopped the driver the Government requires that police complete loads of paperwork.
I recall reading about a case of someone being prosecuted for taking a swig of a soft drink from a can and thus not being in control of their vehicle. They were stopped at traffic lights with their handbrake on at the time.
techguy
Grafter

So maybe police discretion is required but saying that they seem to look for easy targets these days
jamessealey
Grafter

What's worse is this looks to be the Tunnel Police, rather than Merseyside Police. The difference being, as far as I am aware, is that they have their own divsion etc for policing the two tunnels between Wirral and Liverpool. They have a huge and lengthly reputation for being very unreasonable and stopping people with little or no justification. I got stopped twice in one night before Christmas travelling (firstly) towards Liverpool, and then (secondly) on the way home. Both times they were pulling every single vehicle that went through the toll booths to question over drink driving. I am not disputing the need to police drink dirving as I firmly believe it is needed, however the manner, method and rudeness the whole thing was undertaken with was unnacceptable.
Clearly, in my opinion, this was a Tunnel police officer with way too much time on his hands and nothing productive to do!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Part of the problem is that having stopped the driver the Government requires that police complete loads of paperwork.

It appears this police officer failed to report the "stop" as the report claims the inspector could find no trace of the incident..... Undecided Lips are sealed Roll eyes