Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motoring topic

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

Re: Motoring topic

Quote from: MuppetGrinder
See...bikes aint on the list, neither are "helmets of cyclists", or "the clothing of cyclists".  PLEASE can we beat it into these people that it's better to have an ugly big constant light on you bike than a fasionable useless flashing one. Even on a clear night they are nothing but a distraction and a hazard, in poor visability they are a deathtrap.

As a cyclist I couldn't agree more!
I have a 5 mile ride to the station, setting off about 05:15 and usually see another dozen or cyclists regualarly and only one other has lights, a helmet and high vis clothing.
Hardly anyone seems to wear a helmet which I find totally shocking and lighting if any is totally inadequate.
But what is really irratating me lately is cars overtaking me and then as we approach traffic lights pulling in so close to the kerb I can't get past without either mounting the pavement or going down the middle of the road.  Angry
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Grafter

Mounting the kerb hey *tuts*
Perhaps you might understand why motorists get frustrated with cyclists and behave inconsiderately; folks mounting pavements gives other cyclists a bad name IMO.
Highlighted

I understand that and I didn't say I did mount the kerb, I said they were the options if I wanted to get past.  Wink
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
...But what is really irratating me lately is cars overtaking me and then as we approach traffic lights pulling in so close to the kerb I can't get past without either mounting the pavement or going down the middle of the road.  Angry

It is for these occasions that you keep a hard and sharp item in your pocket to run down their paintwork on the way passed  Grin
And James, I know you are allowed to wair the things, what I am saying is that they are not a legaly recognised form of providing illumination between sunset and sunrise.  If it has been changed then give me the name of the moron that changed it and a gun because it's not safe
Highlighted

My bar-ends would do a lovely job of that, I'm just too nice  Grin
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo

But what is really irratating me lately is cars overtaking me and then as we approach traffic lights pulling in so close to the kerb I can't get past without either mounting the pavement or going down the middle of the road.  Angry

But as  motorist (and a cyclist) I can't see why you want to undertake the cars so that they are forced to overtake you again in a few seconds time. You are only going to hold up the traffic. Much better to stop behind the queuing traffic.
Highlighted

because I want to turn left at the lights and the majority of cars go straight on...
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 129

me at end of about 8 cars, doddery old fool at front max speed 40 slowed to 30 in 40 zone virtually stopped in 30,

<rant>
That's my pet hate!!! I think that anyone not driving at a speed consistent with the speed limit, once they get more than 6 cars behind them ought to be booked for 'driving without due consideration for other road users'
</rant>
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Even when you are driving at the speed limit you will get the same queue behind wanting to go faster.
I drive to the speed limits and often get a queue behind me, the car immediately behind is usually about six feet behind me pressuring me to go faster.
I must admit that I often just pull over and let the dickheads past.
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 129

Dont get me wrong , I have no objections to people driving at sensible speeds.
Perfectly reasonable, and if you get some idiots behind trying to get past then thats their stupidity.
But its the ones who insist on driving a 30mph on national speed limit roads and braking every time a car comes along in the opposite direction that gets me!!!
Highlighted
Grafter

I thought there were laws about minimum speeds, especially on motorways?
Or is it left to the Polices judgement?
Highlighted
Fixes: 459

May I bifurcate this thread and ask why the jury believes it is OK for taxis to use bus lanes.
Why are taxis given preferential treatment over other commercial vehicles.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Grafter

the car immediately behind is usually about six feet behind me pressuring me to go faster.

you could get one of these http://www.presentsformen.co.uk/product-PFM-Drivemocion-7089/  look at the messages on right
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Quote from: Santiago
Even when you are driving at the speed limit you will get the same queue behind wanting to go faster.
I drive to the speed limits and often get a queue behind me, the car immediately behind is usually about six feet behind me pressuring me to go faster.
I must admit that I often just pull over and let the dickheads past.

when this happens to me, especially on "de-restricted" dual carriageways, where there is light traffic, I just gradually slow down more and more, the guy/woman behind me eventually gets the message, and decides he has enough power to overtake me anyway.... usually find it is the same guy/woman who has come up behind me at well over the speed limit anyway, and then decided to sit on my bumper to annoy me.
I often remember a sticker I saw in a car once......  "This vehicle AUTOMATICALLY SLOWS DOWN WHEN TAILGATED"
(I`d love to fit one of those illuminated message thingy`s that the buses use for destination boards, so I could pre-program messages to the car behind ! ! !)
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Why are taxis given preferential treatment over other commercial vehicles.
Public transport?
Quote from: pierre_pierre
you could get one of these http://www.presentsformen.co.uk/product-PFM-Drivemocion-7089/  look at the messages on right
I want  one!
The car cup organiser they show there at £4.99 I got from Walmart for  $2.99!