cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motoring topic

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Motoring topic

There are few other types of topic that get chit chat moving than those about motoring in general. So I'm going to begin with one of my favorite gripes;
In the current foggy conditions (over much if not all of the country) how come some drivers STILL can't be bothered to switch on their headlights, or drive on sidelights which is just as bad. when asked why? some will respond "I can see where I'm going"...its not about that, it is so you can be seen by other road users and theoretically the law is being broken (I think) I even saw a police car without lights this morning, he above all people should be taken outside and shot...or worse!!
So what winds you up on the road? apart from forum members posting stoopid  topics about it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
54 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Motoring topic

the rules are - on when visibily is restricted to less than 100m
The Highway Code
226-237: Driving in adverse weather conditions
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).
[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]
Community Veteran

Thanks pierre, I guessed you would know. I must remember to carry a tape measure with me when driving...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sunday before last when the Ice had disappeared here coming home on the road from Bury St Edmunds to Sudbury, not a nice road, difficult to over take, villages with 30 and 40 limits,  me at end of about 8 cars, doddery old fool at front max speed 40 slowed to 30 in 40 zone virtually stopped in 30, It was dark and difficult to see the road in front and determine if safe to overtake, In daylight it would have been a lot easier. 10 miles later, I knew there was a new Long Melford bypass, not dual carriaeway, but at least straight, no one made any attempt to over take, so I had to take the lot of them didnt break the speed limit, got to end of by pass, roundabout not a sign of cars behind me
corrected spelling
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Right on, Petlew! There are one helluva lot of drivers who don't or won't use lights sensibly. You're right, it is illegal to not 'light up' in poor visibility.
Equally maddening are those fools using fog lights unnecessarily - that's illegal too.
I'm sure it's getting worse, largely IMHO due to the increase in speed cameras and the decrease in traffic cops; all drivers seem to worry about now is their speed - cameras don't catch inconsiderate, careless, or dangerous driving.
Or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

and how many do you know who havnt got a tape measure
It as bad as in days gon past when that knob was pulled out to hang the handbag on and the car didnt seem to run as good,  Some people still havnt found the off switch for the front fog lights
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
In the current foggy conditions (over much if not all of the country) how come some drivers STILL can't be bothered to switch on their headlights,

er, foglights.  Angry
Thick fog here most of the day. This morning, in the very foggy rush hour on country lanes, maybe 10% had foglights on and a few had no lights at all!
IDIOTS.  Crazy
Community Veteran

@4candles, also right on, I'm never quite sure why manufactures persist in fitting front fog lights, I had them on my previous car (Mondeo) and used them maybe 3 times in 4 years and only for a few minutes, the difference they made given that modern headlights are pretty good these days was very minor indeed. Perhaps back in the days of bulb (non-halogen) headlights there may have been a case for them, personally I think they just encourage poor drivers to take many more risks in poor conditions. My current car doesn't have them, and I don't miss them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Even worse - people who drive on sidelights in fog - like this morning. Complete and absolute waste of time
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You may also use front or rear fog lights

You dont have to use front or rear foglights, you have to use headlights
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
that knob was pulled out to hang the handbag on and the car didnt seem to run as good,

Saturday morning radio - Children's request show. The Driving Instructor skit. American comedian. What was his name?
Community Veteran

@ Simon M  Bob Newhart
Quick before pierre tells you, google Bob Newhart, and you'll get loads of his sketches on youtube.

Denzil
Grafter

Nothing like a motoring whinge topic to get people posting, is there? Smiley
Yes, it annoys me, too. Using fog lights when it is not foggy, dipping headlights too late (or not at all), not indicating - all are at least discourteous to other drivers, and can be downright dangerous. Fog lights should be switched off even in the fog if there is someone following reasonably close behind, of course, as they are bright enough to dazzle.
For comparison, though, I spent two 1/2 days in Egypt last week for work, and use of lights there seems to be optional. I got taken by taxi from Cairo to Alexandria and back, and lots of people just don't bother with lights at all, at least in towns. Also optional were the lane markings and braking distances. As a result, every car I saw seemed to have suffered at least some damage.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
@ Simon M  Bob Newhart

Well done - I knew someone would remember. It wouldn't quite come to mind.
Kept thinking of Tom Lehrer - equally brilliant but quite different.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it seems strange and the Police dont approve, but it is still legal to drive in a 30 limit with just side lights on