cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motoring Manners

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Motoring Manners

Ok..... I have been trawling the depths of my mind  (as matelots often do!) and I came up with this for your entertainment this weekend, and as long as you can make it last....

When I was learning "roadcraft" , (something a lot of drivers these days seem to have forgotten) , way back in the late 1960`s early 1970`s.....
A friend of mine, whilst driving, chastised me for letting someone out of a side road, into the main stream of traffic...... (to me, that was "good manners" as it was helping him on his way, and hardly slowing me down on mine)
His chastisement went something like this..... "what did you do that for?"    "What?"      "let him out in front of us"    "So he could get on his way quicker, and it`s good manners"......
"blow that" he said  (well not really, but don`t want to get censored) "my motto is  L. B. W."
"What`s that mean?"  Saith I......    "Let the Bugger Wait"..... Shocked Shocked Roll eyes Saith he......
Which allowed me to make my own abbreviation for the way I drive...... L.O.G.  Or driving on LOG
L.O.G. ? I hear you say.... What`s that then.......  "Let One Go"    Saith I....
So.... can any of you come up with some "similar" ways to drive..... the more amusing the better, but serious efforts will be just as acceptable.... Wink
67 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Motoring Manners

As a "professional" driver, one of my favorite gripes is, drivers who DON'T put their headlights on in rain, mist, fog etc. (as they are legally supposed to) thats headlights not sidelights. In response to those who think they can see where they're going without them...It's NOT so you can see where you're going, It's so YOU CAN be SEEN by other drivers.
Rant over. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Petlew, You are not supposed to "rant" in response to my posts . .  Shocked  I will allow you this once, seeing as you have posted a "serious" topic,  and I agree wholeheartedly with all three points..... but in particular to the residents of Peterborough, who think it is "o.k." to attack the very people who just a few months ago were given the freedom of the city by the council, for service rendered to Peterborough, and to the country....

So come on.... let`s have some "amusement" on here now...... Grin  Cheesy Grin  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

woh, I am spoilt for choice, three sat topics, 1] are we british.
2] funeral manners.
3] driving manners.
I think I will start off on Motorway and Dual Carriageway driving.
I hate members of The British Outside Lane Owners Club Subscribers.
Over
Community Veteran

That`s the spirit, Pierre...... Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  nice one......    Roll eyes    just what we need....    Cheesy Smiley Wink
Captainkirk
Grafter

I am a member of the TRIM club........ The Road Is MINE!!!!!!!    Well, that is according to my other half who spends most of the time telling me that I think I own the road  Roll eyes
Tracey
Community Veteran

Ah so it was you, was it.............
The amount of road tax (what a funny name) we pay, I make a point of  "I must go down that road, sometime"  "Why?  You don`t know where it goes to"  my other half asks,    I reply....... cos I have paid my road tax, and am entitled to use it, and I want to find out where it goes to"...... Roll eyes  Roll eyes Grin  Cheesy  Wink
jmd
Grafter

Extension to TRIM -
TRIMiPO
The road is mine I've paid online!
Community Veteran

MLOC - Middle lane owners club  Lips are sealed
I was driving back from Petersfield yesterday and on the M27 towards Segensworth (J9) there was a "middle aged" Man in a Ford Fiesta doing 50Mph in the middle lane, causing complete and total chaos behind him...
GBTDAR - Go back to driving A roads if you can't handle motorway speeds!!!  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: jmd
Extension to TRIM -
TRIMiPO
The road is mine I've paid online!

I hope that isn't a dig at my Road Tax thread  Wink
Can anyone tell me whether whip signals for drivers of horse and cart are still in the Highway Code  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the answer is nope Roll eyes now what did I mean Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I blame the government for a lot of the problems on the motorways. Repealing the law that bans BMW cars from using the inside lane is long overdue!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Avoid the following.
1. Drivers who drive around with their high intensity rear lights on when the conditions do not require their use.
2. Drivers with poor lane discipline i.e. driving in the middle lane on the motorway when the left lane is clear.
3. Drivers who wear hats
Drivers who wear hats usually are the ones doing 1 and 2
pierre_pierre
Grafter