Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor insurance

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Motor insurance

Insurance companies always claim that the cost of motor insurance premiums is based on the amount paid out. Why then with people using their vehicles less since March have all premiums increased?

If anything they should have decreased surely.

Somebody is taking the Michael and as this report says, claims are down but premiums don't follow.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
39 REPLIES 39
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Motor insurance

My renewal (due in just under 3 weeks) arrived a few days ago and the increase on last years cost is just over £19 for the same policy.  A few weeks ago I got a letter from my insurer (Direct Line) inviting me to enter my odometer reading and also to state my estimated mileage per week during the first Covid lockdown period to see if I qualified for a rebate.

A few days ago I noticed that the sum of £10.08 had been credited to the card used for payment which presumably covered the lockdown period, so whilst not a fortune better than nothing.  Apparently if I go back on their website within 14 (or was it 10?) days of the the policy expiring and enter my final mileage for the year I might get a further refund.

Later today or tomorrow I'm going to try the same thing I did last year to get a reduction - go to their website and get a quote for the same policy but excluding the car registration.  I think doing that fools the system into thinking it's a new policy rather than a renewal.  Once the quote is saved I'll then phone them and use that as a lever against their renewal quote - which got me about £50 off last year, but having done it once I suspect the possible savings might be smaller this year.  I'll also mention that if I go through TopCashBack I'll save a further £10.50 and try to get them to knock that amount off too!

I'll be doing the same with my separate breakdown cover.

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman @RobPN  Renewed my insurance in October it had gone down about £20 so didnt bother with any other QuotesThumbs_Up

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well I only mention this because mine has gone up a nudge and when I asked why it had not gone down instead of up I had no reply. 

Short and curlies come to mind, and I don't mean those at the back on my neck either.

Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

Mine has come down for the last 2 yrs. Mind you I did say 'Is that the best you can do' and off they toddled to make a cup of tea and came said 'I've managed to reduce it by xyz'. Surprise, surprise.

I think on average it was about £25 less per year.

HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 2

@RobPN wrote:

I'll be doing the same with my separate breakdown cover.

It's worth having a look at 

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/

If you enter the discount code 15APP you will receive a 15% discount  

See below it was recommended by   

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Car-Breakdown-Cover/m-p/1546810#M245737

HD

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mayfly 

I guess I should have tried harder. 🙄

Well done for getting that reduction, I've always thought they must just pluck those figures out of the air. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I suspect there will be a increase in the number of people failing to take insurance out due to lack of funds but still consider the car as a essential item, the thinking might be if they do short or local runs who is to know......

If they are involved in a accident I think any victims can claim from some scheme the insurance companies contribute to.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Maybe they could offer a years free insurance furlough ... as long as you don't claim.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I had a prang last december - my fault, literally drove forward (pulling out of a junction) into the side of a pregnant womans car. Her car was darkk grey, she was in the lane on the other side behind a large wall with the sun behind it casting a large shadow over her. I've started to pull out as she's turned to come in and wallop.

Oddly my insurance premium decreased this year at renewal time. There was me thinking "that's done it, licence for em to print money now" and i've ended up saving instead Crazy2 Every other year they've done their best to increase it and i've had to really argue with them about it.

We live in strange times.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I only ever been involved in two accidents, both of which weren't my fault. One was a driver hitting me from behind whilst stationary at a red light. The other one was on Christmas Eve.

My work were good enough to let us off for the afternoon and we worked for that morning.

You can translate that to "We all did very little work Christmas Eve morning, and then went to our local pub for a work meeting - or you may as well read as, we did no work and all had drinks in the afternoon". That's more accurate. 😝

Around 3pm I get a phone call someone has come off the road from my sister. I wasn't driving at the time (obviously being in Central London and not there, and also drinking Light Ales at the time). So we got my car fixed, blame was admitted by the other party.

You may yey "At least you didn't have to pay" for the repairs.

Nope - it goes a lot deeper than that for me. Had I (or anyone else) been walking down the path to the front door and the car struck me, it could have been a whole different story. I would be waking up in a hosptial bed or worst case not at all.

Does freak you out when you realise I only had to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I may have been had I skipped going to the pub (that happens rarely for me).

Now I have renewed my driving license I want to start driving again, but my no claims bonus will be the square root of nothing, as I haven't driven for a few years.

Had to renew my driving license recently, as I had a 5 year one for medicial reasons. So I had medical forms to fill out. Didn't have a clue as to whether I did it all correctly. Well around a week ago it did and was I happy. As the Churchill Dog said "Oh Yes". Weirdly I had a 5 year one, and now I have a 10 year one.

So I am worried that I don't think I'll have no Claims bonus now, so when I start driving driving again it will affect me.

When I had to get new passport photos one, a friend told me there is a booth near where he works.

Me: "Got my photos done, hopefully my face didn't crack the screen?".
Friend: "Well it went out of order after you used it".
Me: "Maybe it did then".

I know of three accidents down my sister's road, two I know were fatal and one I assume the person was in a bad way. I won't go into detail on that 🤐

Sorry back on topic @7up at least yourself and passengers you had, and the woman and her baby were not harmed. It could have had a lot of a bleaker outcome for you all.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:

Well I only mention this because mine has gone up a nudge and when I asked why it had not gone down instead of up I had no reply. 

Hate to say this - probably an age thing! 😋 Couple of years ago I was looking at travel insurance. One I entered the start date before I reached the magic number (65), the other to start after I was 65. Cost difference between the two quotes was surprisingly quite a fair bit and certainly not in my favour. I'd imagine car insurance is much the same.

The quote I got for the car this year wasn't far removed from last years but ever hopeful, I went on a searching spree to see if I could save some. All came back as more expensive. 😒 Makes a change.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Well yes, I can understand that but would it be right to say that the older we get the less we use the car. It's certainly right to say we (and many more I suspect) are using the car less because of Covid and those lockdowns. 

As said short and curlies and I should have tried harder. 

Ah well. 🙂

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

I think the advice given about broadband is exactly the same as that with car insurance.....

Go on one of the main website that compares prices, find one with same conditions you currently have then phone your insurance company and say firm x can give you the service for.....quote price.....I suspect they already know what other companies offer and they either offer to reduce your premium or say they cannot match it but in my case I have got a reduction every time, not as low as the cheapest but if the gap is less than £20 - £30 you might consider it’s not worth changing companies.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Hobo
Grafter

I have been with Direct Line for years, every year when I get my renewal I shop around till I get the cheapest quote then phone DL and they always match it to within a few pounds, this year my policy was £15 cheaper than last years, I have just this week changed my car same make and model just a few years newer, phoned DL got an £8 pound refund as slightly cheaper than my old car, plus no charge for policy change as DL don't charge for any changes.