Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Oil

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Motor Oil

Quote from: nozzer
Do you check it when the engine is cold and on level ground?

I check it before I leave the dealer. Wink
If the dealer pays, say £8 per litre of oil, and under fill every car by a litre, that's quite some saving.  Not that I would suggest that is the reason a large faceless dealership under filled my car of course, because as they said, it was above the minimum line on the dipstick, so there was plenty of oil in it.. it just wasn't full.
My argument is that they sell the used oil, so they make money out of me that way, they under fill the engine with new oil, saving money that way, and they over charge, being the dealer, and on top of that the warranty forces me to use 'Ford approved'  garages for servicing, of which they are the only one for miles.
However, Mercedes however are simply brilliant when they service my van for me.
My local garage has a mobile service, and he looks after the Rover, I would recommend him to anybody.
For service and satisfaction, you can't beat shopping local I think.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And their argument would be that they only charge you for the amount of oil they use I suppose! They really should fill it to the normal operating level, which is to the "full" mark.
However, better underfilled than overfilled. This is what happens if you overfill by a lot. The engine recycles engine oil into the exhaust gas recirc and runs away!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yup - overfilled diesels can have some pretty epic engine blowups !
* Edit - here's one of a Rover with blown turbo seals .......

Highlighted
Grafter

Never happened to me, but I have seen it a few times.  Scary stuff.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
Each time I have had my Mondeo serviced at the main dealer (09 plate so 3 times) I have had to go back in and ask them to top up the oil, as they put in the bare minimum. The difference between minimum and full is 2 litres. Angry
Good for you! I hate that garages do that.
It happened to me last year. I had my Audi serviced at the local Audi dealer and paid £375 (from memory) for the service. Three weeks later the low oil light came on as I pulled onto the office car park.
I called the dealer and told them what I thought about the service and the fact that they had ripped me off. Long story short, I made them come to my place of work and fill the engine with oil to the max mark. For them it was a 145 mile round trip and they put over a litre of oil in the engine. I asked the guy what his job was at the dealers and it seems he was the Quality Manager. I think his ears had melted when I had finished with him.
Point is, if they skim a litre of oil from each service imagine what that would save them over a year. I think it is disgraceful that they do this to [people who trust them to give them a reliable and honest service.
Highlighted
Grafter

Oddball, exactly, that is my point to.
It makes you wonder how many people they do it to, and how many garages also.