Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Oil

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Motor Oil

If your car needs fully synthetic Oil then from a price point of view this might be worth taking a look,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-Edge-5W-30-Engine-Oil/dp/B004GZQTQ4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=137841319...
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

Really?  Roll_eyes
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Don't you just hate those 4 litre bottles.
If you are lucky to fill up, still nothing left to top up.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Works fine for me... no leftovers in the shed to get contaminated with condensation ! ! !...  Cheesy  ( see previous post ( bragging )... don`t need to top up !!!!)
Highlighted
Community Veteran

You are the bragging king  Smiley
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Look in the handbook for the engine oil specification. Then choose an oil which has this spec on the bottle. It doesn't matter if it's synthetic or mineral provided it complies with the spec. Modern engines specs are such that they can only be found in synthetics, and this is because they are thinner and cause much less pumping and drag losses in the engine, and get round the engine easier when cold, all of which helps fuel efficiency.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I use 10w40 in my audi, but i should really be using 5w30, mine has done about 200k so i don't see any point in putting expensive oil in.
There is a big debate that rears up on most car forums, at the end of the day thinner is better apparently so fully sythetic is the way to go.
5w30 fully synthetic thin
10w40 semi synthetic thick
Highlighted
Grafter

Interesting. 
I was left a Rover Vittesse by my Grandad in his Will, so I have been doing a few bits and bobs, and now have it almost show room condition.
Now, my grandad always used the recommended oil which is Semi  Synthetic Mobile 1.
The engine always had a pinking sound to it at idle.
Any way, I serviced it a few months back, and I had 4 litres of fully synthetic in the cupboard, so I used that for the oil change.
The engine runs smooth as anything, and the pinking has vanished.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Mobil 1 is an extremely thin oil, it's 0w30 in the standard version, which means it's much more runny until it's thoroughly warmed up. You surprise me when you say that a Rover Vitesse specified that; usually Mobil 1 is for high performance engines (no offence intended!) or very cold running, like in the Arctic. For motorsport, engine life is not critical, winning is, so high performance engines can use lower viscosity oils to maximize power output to the wheels, possibly at the expense of more bearing wear. But they are renewed after each race anyway!
I ran Mobil 1 for a while in an Audi 80 and it had a strange noise when cruising, like a distant "thump". Then the nice garage man pointed out that the minimum viscosity for that engine was a 5w30, which cured it completely. Whether it's synthetic or not won't make any difference to the way it sounds, just the viscosity.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Does anyone know anything about Oil for motor vehicles.
Looking at what's available there appears to be three major categories, Ordinary engine oil, semi synthetic and full synthetic, The required type of Oil for your car is easily identified from either your car manual or other sources but I was interested to see that fully synthetic Oil is made rather than obtained from the ground and the claims made for this type of Oil appear to indicate it's much better for your engine, not that many people will be using it due to the current cost but the question is this, if it's possible to manufacture Oil could it possibly replace normal Oil providing the cost was reduced ?

The short answer is no. Synthetic oil can't be made from anything except an oil compound that's further down the "cracking" process, ie it needs an oil compound of some sort to make it. If you're thinking that we could do without oil from the ground to make it then sorry, not possible! And synthetic oil won't benefit your engine at all unless the engine needs it to perform.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

My Toyota is specified 5/30 oil. A lot of VVTi engines use a very thin oil. A downside of this is that oil consumption is quite high. Mine doesn't blow oily smoke or leak it, but it does "use" quite a lot. Indeed as was pointed out to me when I posted about this a while back, the user handbook actually tells the owner to keep a close eye on the oil level as it is burnt off in the cylinder head..
I use Valvoline full synthetic oil, its good quality and about half the price of Castrol.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Fixes: 460

According to my Focus handbook as long as the oil meets specification WSS-M2C913-B it's fine and there are part synthetic and fully synthetic oils which do.
I've no idea what the main dealer put in during it's service prior to me receiving it though.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Grafter

Each time I have had my Mondeo serviced at the main dealer (09 plate so 3 times) I have had to go back in and ask them to top up the oil, as they put in the bare minimum. The difference between minimum and full is 2 litres. Angry
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Do you check it when the engine is cold and on level ground?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

My local independent (normally excellent) small garage, always at services charges me for Castrol oil. I like to think that's what is actually put in. But how can you tell? you have to trust the garage and your personal experiences and their reputation.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.