cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Oil

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Motor Oil

Does anyone know anything about Oil for motor vehicles.
Looking at what's available there appears to be three major categories, Ordinary engine oil, semi synthetic and full synthetic, The required type of Oil for your car is easily identified from either your car manual or other sources but I was interested to see that fully synthetic Oil is made rather than obtained from the ground and the claims made for this type of Oil appear to indicate it's much better for your engine, not that many people will be using it due to the current cost but the question is this, if it's possible to manufacture Oil could it possibly replace normal Oil providing the cost was reduced ?
35 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Motor Oil

Can't say I understand any of the below except that big words are usually expensive.
Synthetic Base Stocks
Synthetic motor oils are man-made oils from the following classes of lubricants:
    Polyalphaolefin (PAO) = American Petroleum Institute (API) Group IV base oil
    Synthetic esters, etc. = API Group V base oils (non-PAO synthetics, including diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes, alkylated benzenes, etc.)
    Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Shell, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high-quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005, production of GTL (gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began, best of which perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III-base stocks are widely permitted to be marketed as synthetic motor oil with few exceptions where they are not allowed to be marketed as "synthetic" (for example, Germany).
Community Veteran

Mineral = Cheap - usually for old cars
Semi-Synthetic = expensive - usually for 1990-2002 cars and lower end newer cars
Fully Synthetic = Ouch - more usual to find in the higher end cars.
My wifes new Golf uses long life synthetic which weighs in at around £18 for a liter while my old Astra is grateful for anything it gets (usually semi synth) and I pay around £15 for 5 liters through Vauxhall trade club.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you dig into your car handbook you'll probably find a section listing the relevant codes for the oils to be used in your car.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: picbits
My wifes new Golf uses long life synthetic which weighs in at around £18 for a liter

Try here: http://www.vwspares.co.uk/quantum_oils.php
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Cheers but we have a fuel card which also covers oil so might as well get her company to pay for it from the service stations  Grin
Community Veteran

We have two Audis. Neither require any oil  to be added between variable services, for mine it is about 20,000 miles intervals. Both use fully synthetic oil.
@picbits, if your wife has to add oil oil regularly to her Golf between services there must be something wrong with it.
Community Veteran

We get a brand new Golf every 6 months and generally they don't require topping up but occasionally we seem to get one which likes a little tipple.
Community Veteran

I understand, new engines, particularly diesels do like a bit of extra oil. Once the get run in they use less oil.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Bragging time again...... My Skoda Fabia 1.9 sdi  ( now with 200k on the clock) does not , and has not, "used" any oil since I bought it second hand 10 years ago.... I do change the engine oil every 10,000 miles without fail.... ( also new filter )... I use the cheapest "compatible" oil, .. according to the handbook code ( ACA number I think ) and source it from supermarkets, or motor factors/motor accessory shops ( not Halfords )..
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My 2011 Peugeot uses oil and I have it in writing that up to 1litre/1200 miles is 'acceptable' (to Peugeot that is, not me!!).  I believe the modern Mini is similarly thirsty...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Two basic reasons an engine will "use" oil......
1..... worn piston rings and cylinder bores......usually comes with age, but caused by neglect... i.e. not changing the oil at prescribed mileages.
2.... lousy engineering/design/construction.... i.e. the tolerances/clearances in the bore are so great that oil WILL pass the piston rings and be burnt in the normal proces...
If a new(ish) car is using oil, or if the mfctr states that a certain amount is tolerable "usage"... then they are gulity of para 2 above... because para 1 is not applicable...
Community Veteran

Don't forget some cars suck the crankcase vapour through the throttlebody and burn it off to improve emissions - often you will get a bit of oil sucked up through this system as well.
Valve stem seals are another problem and show the issue normally by a big puff of smoke on startup.
Turbo seals can also wear causing smoke on idle and in extreme cases on diesel cars can cause the engine to go into catastrophic runaway
Oh and in my case, the car burns no oil but leaks a couple of spoon fulls of oil in between changes.
Fixes: 47

Put your registration in here on Halfords site.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Oh yes and for my Omega it recommends fully synthetic which is not what the handbook recommends and isn't what the garage puts in at a service