cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Insurance Data

nadger
Rising Star

Motor Insurance Data

Just got Tax Disc Renewal Reminder and I see that from early 2011 the DVLA has increased powers to combat uninsured vehicles.
One link that is useful is www.askMID.com to check your vehicle is recorded as insured - mine is  Smiley
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Motor Insurance Data

Yes it's not good enough to have your insurance certificate in your hand when stopped by the police.
If it's not on the database then you're nicked...it has happened.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, I noted before on this forum that, I was stopped for speeding. The Police database found I was uninsured, but my certificate I had with me was fully valid. It was sorted out with the comment (and apology) from the officer "that the database is only as good as the person inputting the data"
The askMID was positive thanks.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
David_W
Rising Star

If you are uninsured you can't get a tax disc, the online service for the DVLA checks if your vehicle is insured and has a valid MOT (mine does for both!) though I really should send that form off, just in case!  If you're pulled though, don't the police give you the benefit of the doubt and phone up your insurance company to find out if you're on their system and listed as insured?
nadger
Rising Star

There's possibly a problem if one changes insurer especially using a broker where there could be a few days delay.
Community Veteran

Just checked and mine is fine.
We have a number plate recognition camera in the High Street so my car is checked a few times each day as I pass the camera. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nadger,
Thanks for that link, I assume it's the same one as the Police use.
I Never carry any documents with me so it's good to know if I get stopped the records are correct !

You can also check on your Road tax here and MOT here.
Your vehicle's MOT history can be found here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There is a series on Tv called "Road Wars"... Which often shows police catching drivers with no docs, and because of the ANPR camera/setup in the patrol car, they KNOW the "target" is not insured/no mot/no tax before the "target" even sees the blue lights in his mirror.....
It is quite "enlightening" some of the reasons/excuses given, to try to "fool" the police into thinking the database is wrong.... eventually the "miscreant" comes to the point of desperation, when the police say he is walking home, and they have seized his car.... !.... I do enjoy that moment..... immensley !  Grin
For some time now the police have the power to seize, immediately, any vehicle with no mot..... no tax.... no insurance...driver licence expired....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And have it crushed!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah Yes, Petlew..... but that is if the "miscreant" decides against paying all the charges, AND producing the correct up to date documents, after 14 days... off to the crusher it goes !  Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: nadger
One link that is useful is www.askMID.com to check your vehicle is recorded as insured - mine is  Smiley

It can take upto 48 hours for your vehicle to appear on the MID (Motor Insurance Database).
I'm still a bit miffed with askmid.com.. Last year I decided it would be a good idea to run a cron job every day to submit my registration, parse the result from the webpage and if the car for any reason showed up as not insured, my site could then send me a SMS alert early in the morning. After a few hours of debugging and testing I got it working. The next day askmid went offline. A few days later it came back.. with a captcha on the form - which rendered my new automated daily insurance check useless.
I also got stopped last year by a traffic plod for driving with no insurance. I'd just bought the car up north and had arranged the insurance earlier that day over the phone. I knew he'd be coming after me as I'd seen his plod car pull up next to mine at a service station just as I was going into the toilet. It pulled up but didn't stop.. it just very slowly continued past the car. When I came out of the toilet he was gone so I figured he was probably on a plod ramp somewhere and within minutes he was behind me. Plod pulled me over, got me in the back of his car and gave me a right grilling. By the time I'd had my say he was ordering me to get back in my car and to let him get on with his job or he'd nick me  Grin Sometimes it pays not only to be honest but overly honest... plus some  Wink Considering I'd done nothing wrong I felt it my my duty as an honest member of the public to be as honest as possible and then explain the reasons for everything which led to my honesty, choices made in life, the reason for buying the car, the reason i like the colour of it......  Cool Then I asked for a receipt for being stopped.. Poor old plod.. he was  bit  Shocked
Oddly considering it was a 4-500 mile journey I never got pulled once by any other rozzers on the way home and he'd just advised me I probably would as there was nothing he could do to stop other forces stopping me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I was tugged by the rozzers last year for driving with no insurance on the A303.
Humorously, it was a new (to me ) car, and the insurance had been in place for over a week.
Apparently, according to the officer in question, his ANPR had triggered but by the time he had managed to get behind me and pull me over, he had confirmation from a PNC check that the car was insured so he merrily sent me on my way anyway.
B.
Community Veteran

The ANPR camera has other uses as well.  Last week we had a burglary nearby and a neighbour gave a vehicle description, but no registration, to the Police.  They checked and no vehicle had triggered the ANPR but they were able to go through the records to see if the vehicle had passed the cameras. 

A couple of years ago I received a fine notification from the DVLA for non payment of road fund license. Huh
I visited our local DVLA office and showed them my current 12 months tax disc purchased 4 months before at this very same DVLA office. Angry
I later received a letter stating "under the circumstances no further action will be taken" with no apology. Roll eyes
I could have been pulled by the police for this 'offence' but thankfully I wasn't.
Ahhh...the blessings of a fully computerised system.