cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mosquitoes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mosquitoes

Is there any way to avoid mosquito bites when abroad ?
I am aware of the general advice found on the internet & the various medications available from the GP but do thing like taking yeast usually in the form of Beer or Marmite work.
I Seem to recall reading some article about it.
Any of you well seasoned travellers have any ideas ?
15 REPLIES
annerimmington
Grafter

Re: Mosquitoes

http://sharkarama.hubpages.com/hub/Mosquito-Repellents
I`ve heard good reports about citronella - you can buy citronella candles.....................has a  lemony scent.    Research being done on catnip (cat owners will know about that)..............it`s a quite pleasant smelling herb which sends them into ecstasy when they sniff it (cats that is, not mozzies) !!    Apparently mosquitos don`t like it.
Community Veteran

Vitamin B is recommended by a lot of people but tests have shown it is not effective.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

where I used to go to work in Southern Italy then had citronella burners around the outside of the outer eater establishments.
You can also get  BuzzOff repellant from Superdrugs, got one at home, no clue whats in it  http://www.superdrug.com/superdrug/superdrug-buzz-off-insect-repellent-travel-size-50ml/invt/154075/  the extra Contains 50% DEET.
Savlon do an after the event spray which contains pyrethrum
Community Veteran

Away for 3 weeks in April so will test some of these ideas out and let you know how I get on  Smiley
itsme
Grafter

There are clothing that will give you some protection. http://www.craghoppers.com/buy/nosilife-ferro-long-sleeved-shirt-187502
NosiLife uses a world exclusive, textile impregnation treatment to give synthetic fabrics permanent insect-repellency. Proven 90% protection from insects and mosquitos, that lasts a lifetime of wear.
Community Veteran

A good way of finding out what works is to ask the locals - they should know Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Good old DEET.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

In mosquito areas you should be aware of the possibility of West Nile Virus.  If you return home with any of the symptoms it is worth mentioning WNV to your GP as it sometimes goes incorrectly diagnosed as it is very rare in the UK.
West Nile
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you dont have to go that far http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16988183
Community Veteran

Not yet established if it is carrying the virus.  It's being checked out at present.
Community Veteran

When I was in the US, the locals advised a product called "Skin so Soft" by Avon. It is a skin moisturising lotion with a side benefit of deterring biting insects
The way I was told to use it was when showering pour a cap full on your self and let the water wash it over you. Worked for me and it was much cheaper than sprays etc.
Community Veteran

But can you buy it here ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

quick google says yes its on amazon and further down the search list they have there own .co.uk site
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
JayG
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

They rarely seem to bite during the heat of the day so the main risk is from late afternoon onwards.
I find that the gel-type mozzie repellants work pretty well on exposed flesh, but it's best to cover up as much as the temperatures allow, if only to save time and money.
You will also be at risk overnight when you get back to your accomodation - we always used to close the windows and use an aerosol spray before we went out, then either an old-fashioned coil or plug-in type of killer to provide protection overnight (obviously you will increase the risk if you open the windows but sometimes you just have to compromise between risk and comfort!)
The above regime always worked very well for me, and I certainly wouldn't want to risk experimenting with yeast extracts and suchlike because mozzies really, really like me!  Sad