cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Morse Code is Alive & Well !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Morse Code is Alive & Well !

Just had a quite exciting, and unique  QSO  ( chat )... with a "friend" using Morse Code .  We have been in contact many times before, recently he was in HAINAN, China, and then went to GUANGZHOU, China, and today he is on his way back to the USA...

He is on AMERICAN AIRLINES Flight 192, from Hong Kong, to Los Angeles..

howard qso on AAL 192  fr 24 tracking..png

. His plane was at 31, 000 feet and traveling at 529 knots..

He was using his Laptop, and took a picture of his seating position , showing the flight information screen on the top of the pic, and a capture of our QSO at the bottom of the screen...

howard qso on AAL 192  HK to LA  seat pic.png

enlarged version of his laptop screen....

howard qso on American AIrlines 182 HK to LA.png

This is confirmed by a pic of MY screen......

howard qso  my end..png

I think this must be a very unique communication, considering,... the original airlines used to carry a Wireless Operator, to keep in contact with the ground, and they used Morse...

I have an original morse key, as used by the Swedish Airline ABA from about 1945 to 1950,.  and was actually using this key to send morse to HOWARD on his flight,.

http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/2016/09/swedish-morse-key-torsion-bar-straight.html

Swedish Key on new base 1.JPG

We were in communication for about 1 hour... during which time, he encountered some turbulence, and I could see a couple of planes ahead of him, that had altered course, about where he reported the turbulence..

howard qso cpa 890 course change turbulence.pngAA192 is the flight behind CP890

(AA192 is the flight behing CP890) which changed course ......

As a matter of interest... ( to those who think texting is fast .... )... I was transmitting at about 25 words per minute, which is faster than a recent (?) challenge between a "texter" and a "morser"... where the "morser" won the challenge at just under 25 wpm... and the texter was still working on the last but one word, ! ! .

HOWARD, Was sending at a much slower rate, due to the fact he was using the "down arrow" key on the keyboard, which has a limit of about 15 words per minute...but it was amazing stuff, with no "lag" between us

Another piece of "modern tech"... being able to actually track the flight, and talk to it by Morse,...

Over the past 5 years... I have sat at my laptop, with my morse keys,  and "worked".... many people around the world,  notably, a guy on a Catamaran, off the coast of Spain, and recently in the Mediteranean Sea....  also a Japanese guy, who regularly travelled on the BULLET TRAIN, in Japan . And I have operated FROM a Canal Trip Boat, to both of these guys !... using a WIFI USB dongle...

AMAZING STUFF this internet...

Just thought you would like a "nice" story on General Chat, for a change from the "norm".... !  

Have a nice day... I AM ! ! !... :smiley::smiley::smiley:

12 REPLIES 12
198kHz
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 15

Re: Morse Code is Alive & Well !

Thanks for that @shutter.  An interesting meeting of old and new technologies. :smiley:

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a forum upgrade.
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Are you allowed to do that on a flight?  I thought all devices had to be in 'Airplane mode'.

When flights out of LHR are taking off on 09L, I can see them from my living room and if I'm on the computer I sometimes amuse myself by going to flightradar24 and clicking on them to see where they are heading.  They are only at about 2,000 - 3,000 ft. when they pass north of here but there is very little noise.

Community Veteran

@Jonpe  Well, I wouldn`t know. about that for "UK" Airlines...  obviously, being AMERICAN AIRLINES flight. it doesn`t seem to be a problem... ...but it seems a bit pointless for the Airline to provide Internet Access via Satellite, if you are not allowed to use it......

If you got yourself a little "airband" receiver... you would be able to hear the Air Traffic Control channels... and monitor the flights at the same time...

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Looks like you're having too much fun @shutter :grin:

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran

@shutter yes an interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I wonder what tbe initial reaation he received from other passengers and crew was.
Community Veteran

Probably the same as when I take my mini laptop to a Cafe, and sit there with my morse key, tapping away, chatting to someone, somewhere, "out there"...  when customers see me doing that, they try not to "stare"... but I can see they are sneakily trying to see what I am doing... 

At  one  cafe , I  was  actually  "reported" to  the  management  "Did you  know  there  is  a  Russian  Spy,  sending  morse  code,  upstairs??)  :shocked:

to which the manager replied..... "Yes, we do,.... he is quite harmless "  ! ! !...

( I was actually a member of staff there, so they knew all about my morse and contacts around the world )..

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

@shutter  As I read the first paragraph, my first thought was, "Wouldn't it be funny if you put on a Russian accent." :laugh:

Community Veteran

@Jonpe  Yeah, but...... kinda difficult to do in sending morse !..!  ! ! ! !.. :huh:

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

I meant that you could address the nosey people around you in a Russian accent!

198kHz
Aspiring Hero

...or use a Cyrillic keyboard. 

Community Veteran

@198kHz er.... see that pic of a "morse key"  ? ? ?     that is what is used to send the morse...  it is not "texting" on a keyboard of any kind....   see the video at the end of the text on this link...  Turn your speakers up... use the  [  ] (bottom right corner)  to go "full screen"

http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/2016/09/swedish-morse-key-torsion-bar-straight.html

However, There is a Russian version of Morse Code.... but I`m not able to work with that... ! !

Highlighted
198kHz
Aspiring Hero

@shutter wrote:

@198kHz er.... see that pic of a "morse key"  ? ? ?     that is what is used to send the morse...  it is not "texting" on a keyboard of any kind.... 

@shutter   er... yeah, obviously.  :rolleyes:

It was just a flight of fantasy about the reaction if your mini laptop in the café had such a keyboard.

73 de G6T**  :smiley: