cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Morrisons think it is OK for dogs to eat Christmas Pudding!

jmd
Grafter

Morrisons think it is OK for dogs to eat Christmas Pudding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=sUa4WWeFmPI&nomobile=1
Dried fruit such as currant/raisins are toxic for dogs.  I child seeing that advert may well think it is save to give such things to the family pets but they could kill them.
I sent an email to Morrissons complaining about this and got the following response -
"Good afternoon
Thank you for your email with regards to our Christmas television advert.
Our Morrisons Christmas desserts TV advertisement tells the story of one family and their challenge to provide festive dessert and pudding options that appeal to all ages and tastes.  We simply hoped to present a story that many viewers would relate to their own experiences of the festive season.
Veterinary advice was obtained prior to filming the advertisement and a veterinary surgeon was present throughout the filming process.  The dog featured in the TV advert was filmed with a synthetic substitute (pet friendly) cake and therefore was not put at any risk.
The veterinary advice sought prior to filming concluded that there would be minimal, if any, risk to a dog of a serious toxic reaction should a small amount, in relation to its body weight, of Christmas cake/pudding be consumed on a one-off basis. We were advised that the condition has only been confirmed in respect to raw fruits and that the dog in question would need to have eaten 1 – 2.5 lbs of raw raisins/grapes for risk of toxicity to be a concern.
With regards to whether viewers may be encouraged by the advert to feed their own pets Christmas pudding, it is maintained that responsible owners would recognise that their pets should only be fed a standard diet appropriate to the species of pet.  It is worth noting that the advert showed the dog rejecting the Christmas pudding and therefore does not convey the notion that pets wish to eat this type of food.
We do value your feedback and will of course bear it in mind when commissioning future advertising.  We will, however, continue to promote our Morrisons Christmas desserts television advertisement.
Kind regards,
Natalie Donovan
Customer Services Department
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC"

Dogs Today magazine are actively encouraging people to complain about this and if you are on Facebook you will find quite a bit of information from Vets etc about how dangerous dried fruit is.

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Morrisons think it is OK for dogs to eat Christmas Pudding!

If you contact the ASA they will investigate and if they agree with you they will instruct Morrison's to withdraw the advert.
Time is not on your side on this issue so I would suggest a phone call to the ASA first thing in the morning.
Fixes: 104

well rather a dog than me Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmdlp
it is maintained that responsible owners would recognise that their pets should only be fed a standard diet appropriate to the species of pet

That line is blatant hypocrisy. What about responsible advertisers.
jmd
Grafter

I and many others have already complained to ASA after seeing the campaign on facebook.
The latest comment from Dogs Today magazine "We sent Morrisons the email from the Veterinary Poisons Unit, the one that scientifically details the very real risks from eating Christmas puddings/Christmas cake etc. We hoped they'd be as concerned as we were at discovering the black and white facts about how very few raisins have proved to be a fatal dose. The spokesman said their phone already rings off the wall at Xmas without the advert tha
t the BVA President dubbed as "undermining" animal welfare.
Someone who wanted to only be known as "James" from Morrison's press office said he'd been watching our Facebook and Twitter feeds with interest..."
Morrissons will soon wish they had not done that advert I hope.