Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

More than 300,000 disabled people to have benefits cut

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Independent"]
More than 300,000 disabled people to have benefits cut says Esther McVey
More than 300,000 disabled people will have their benefits cut when Disability Living Allowance is replace by a new benefit, Esther McVey, the minister for disabled people, announced today – but the change has been delayed for two years.
An initial 560,000 claimants will be reassessed by October 2015, and 330,000 or these are expected to either lose their benefit altogether or see their payments reduced, Ms McVey told the House of Commons today.
Ms McVey also announced that reassessments of the remaining claimants will not start until October 2015.
The delay would see most claimants being reassessed after the next General Election, meaning that any furore generated by the changes would be less likely to be an issue during the campaign.
Around 3.2 million people currently receive DLA which gives them between £20.55 and £131.50 a week towards the additional costs of living caused by being disabled. But it will be replaced in April by Personal Independence Payments (PIP).
Read More Here

Angry  Angry
13 REPLIES
Devonian
Grafter

Re: More than 300,000 disabled people to have benefits cut

My mother is one.
She is house bound virtually,  some days unable to leave her bed.
She has been this way, and getting steadily worse for 10 years, since breaking her back whilst doing the job she had done for 20 years.
She had previously never claimed any benefit, the same goes for my father, who fought in the Falklands, N.Ire, Malaysia to name a few, before taking over the family farm.
My mother has been on Disability for 10 years.
Her doctor has signed her off work for life and also provided evidence that she will never be able to work.
She had a medical with Atos last August... they found her fit for work, despite cancelling 2 appointments as she was in to much pain to continue the assessment.
Myself and my dad are handling her appeal, and last Thursday we had to go in front of a magistrate.
He was very sympathetic, calling the whole system a shamble, a let down, and an embarrassment.
He has ordered a private assessment to take place next week to see if there is any extra help mum can be given, and he will make his ruling based on that.
He kept apologising for all the stress she has been put through, and has asked for evidence of all expenses the process has cost us, and promised to compensate us.

Now, can you imagine any of the thousands of 'visitors' on disability going through the same? 
Nope.
If you are white, a tax payer, and English, you are screwed.

Community Veteran

Of course like any contreversial changes this change only applies to those of working age, to protect the older voters.
Curently PIP is in a sea of problems and there is unconfirmed rumours its going to be abandoned, but they only rumours, nothing concrete backing them up.  Currently PIP has wasted lots of money on contract disputes and the extra complications involved with PIP assessments.  There is already a large backlog.
But it seems this government has a huge determination to deny money to the vulnerable all in a bid to simply trash social security even if it wastes more money in the process.
Whats hit hard in PIP is mobility .  On DLA if you couldnt walk 50m safely, repeatedly then you qualified for HRM.  On PIP this was reduced to 20m (after consultation finished so done on the sly) without explanation as to why, 50m isnt as long as some people may think and if someone cannot walk that distance they are quite disabled, in addition although I am not sure I think they may have also applied the wheelchair rule they added to ESA, so if you can move 20m in a wheelchair you may not qualify.  But I am unsure on the latter. 50m will still get you lower payments but alot of other stuff is tied in with the higher rate such as blue badges, mobility cars, disabled housing etc.
PIP is the benefit that the prime minister was too ashamed off to put ex army personel through, they are excempt and will be tested for DLA like pensioners.  The fact they have had to excempt ex army and pensioners for obvious reasons effectively is proof alone PIP is designed to rip people off.
WTF
Grafter

Cutting government spending, rhetoric v reality  Sad
Still, look on the bright side: at least the very rich got their tax cut ..
nanotm
Pro

they revised the system and expect 300 thousand to get less or no dla once they get (for many there first) reviewed, its not so much about stiffing people as it is providing a better system,
@dev
I've been through the utter atrocity that is the ATOS ESA assessment 4 times and been to appeal 4 times and apart from the last one where I couldn't actually turn up due to being in hospital (so they upheld the original decision in accordance with the DWP policy) the original decision was overturned, a big part of the problem is that the DWP wont accept any medical paperwork that isn't generated by ATOS (or at least rubber stamped as verified by them) and ATOS are under no obligation to undertake proper investigation (never mind the useless oiks they employ for the medicals) or accept medical paperwork from anyone else (however the tribunals are required to accept it), I'm personally waiting for PIP to arrive because then it will be worthwhile me claiming that (as they will actually have to base decisions on medical evidence and not just some psychiatrists box ticking exercise) and not just to cover my NI stamp ....

PIP's major delays are down to the continual stream of legal challenges being lodged about it, it's UC that's under fire due to the IT issues although that too is also under legal review at the European court.......
the headline is rather misleading since what she actually said was the department expects that about half of the current recipients will be found to have less acute symptoms and as such either no longer qualify for payment or qualify for a lesser payment, however until they find a company to do the assessments there going to be struggling to administer the system unless they revert to using GP's to conduct the assessments based on medical history and current condition (hell they could even review the circumstances regularly when they perform medication reviews....)

lets not forget though that one of the major differences with PIP reviews is there not going to be offering an incentive to the company that gets the job to declare people fit just on volume of accurate assessments .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

@nanotm
This is my 1st post in this thread

Why drag me into this convo ?Huh
Quote from: nanotm
<snip>
@torpc

I've been through the utter atrocity that is the ATOS ESA assessment 4 times and been to appeal 4 times and apart from the last one where I couldn't actually turn up due to being in hospital (so they upheld the original decision in accordance with the DWP policy) the original decision was overturned, a big part of the problem is that the DWP wont accept any medical paperwork that isn't generated by ATOS (or at least rubber stamped as verified by them) and ATOS are under no obligation to undertake proper investigation (never mind the useless oiks they employ for the medicals) or accept medical paperwork from anyone else (however the tribunals are required to accept it), I'm personally waiting for PIP to arrive because then it will be worthwhile me claiming that (as they will actually have to base decisions on medical evidence and not just some psychiatrists box ticking exercise) and not just to cover my NI stamp ....

<snip>
nanotm
Pro

sorry fella,
for some reason my browser was showing the wrong name (probably a memory leek with so many tabs open) thanks for point out the error I've adjusted the post Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

NP
Tell that memory to stop trying to be a local version of wikileaks Tongue Cheesy
nanotm
Pro

meh its IE its never going to work properly Smiley
and I know its risk but its the only one that lets me use an English auto correct ......
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My son who is 15 (turning 16) has started to fill in some paperwork on his bank details. 
We currently receive DLA due to his deafness (severely deaf) and will start going to him when he turns 16 in November.
He will have to fill in another form for PIP sometime after his birthday - but he hopes the amount he is supposed to get doesn't get lowered.
I also receive DLA for my deafness and been told to do an ATOS assessment :/
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
nanotm
Pro

unfortunate that ATOS are still functioning in your area, they closed there assessment centres in a lot of places due to staffing shortages (because the rules got changed and optical nurses from north Africa no longer met the standard of professional qualification....) so even though they have sent out letters to lots of people they aren't actually doing them.....
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

So are you saying me and my son won't need an ATOS assessment?
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A reference would be useful otherwise I wouldn't rely on it as the ATOS website still lists a heck of a lot of them across the country http://www.atoshealthcare.com/claimants/locations_home
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
unfortunate that ATOS are still functioning in your area, they closed there assessment centres in [SNIP].....

sorry if you misunderstood my comment,
to avoid confusion,
ATOS are utterly shit,  they have closed many of there ESA assessment centres ahead of the early end of contract date due to staffing issues, they have however opened a lot of new centres (a large number of which are in physio centre's) for the PIP assessments
and its unfortunate that your area is not one of those where the closures have occurred