cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More problems at christmas

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

More problems at christmas

A Few weeks ago our cooker conked out, now the door on the fridge freezer will not close, by a fortunate stroke of luck we took out an extended warranty, something I would not normally do but it was a special price. Purchased from John Lewis.
Phoned the insurance company 0844 number and got the usual stuff of we are very busy please hold or call back. Got  through after 10 minutes and was given a reference  number & telephone number to contact.
Engineer visited and said it needs a new hinge but after taking the door off to look at the hinge it seems a new door is needed which has now been ordered.
I am not pleased that my phone call cost around 70 pence but as a new door plus fitters time will be around £200 according to the chap who came I am not going to complain about 70p.
Out of interest does anyone know the position regarding my house insurance, this claim has been made against a warranty but your house insurers always ask you to notify them of any claims made, does this class as a claim ? I ask because insurers will use every means possible not to pay out if you have with held or failed to notify them of any claims.
9 REPLIES
tinto
Grafter

Re: More problems at christmas

Your standard house contents insurance policy, if memory serves, covers theft, fire, flood, bits falling off aircraft, and may also cover accidental damage, subject to an additional premium.
I would hazard a guess that in this instance the retailer would be liable.  They're not supposed to sell fridges with doors that fall off after a few weeks, even without an extended warranty
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'd say its a claim yes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not an insurance claim, it's a transaction enacted under the terms of a contract between you and a company, called an extended warranty. Insurance claims do not cover wear and tear, which yours seems to be.
Community Veteran

@nozzer is right on this.  Nothing to do with your insurance company.
Community Veteran

Sorry, I think I have worded this post badly.
The claim is being met under the warranty (Provided by London General Insurance) no problem with that but what I was enquiring about is my normal household insurance which has nothing to do with any claim.
I simply wondered if I need to notify my house insurers as they always ask have you made any claims from an insurance company when renewing a policy ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I would suggest asking London General Insurance and not tell your company
Community Veteran

I Suspect they would play it safe and tell me to notify them.
This must be a situation which effects thousands of people a year who make claims under warranties.
Community Veteran

Asking L & G won't help as you are concerned about your household insurer's attitude.  To put your mind at rest you could ask them the question.  If they are not interested then you've not lost anything.  If they do need to be told you've done the right thing and they can't hold it against you at a later time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

except they will probably put your premium up next year