Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More political shame...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

More political shame...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/meat-diseased-cattle-sold-defra-022232222.html#Dvwr5cR
Meat from cattle slaughtered after testing positive for bovine tuberculosis (bTB) is being sold for human consumption by Defra, the food and farming ministry has said.

Shameful.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: More political shame...

This is a case where the big supermarkets are protecting us  Crazy
From the Times which broke the story - paywalled
Besides Tesco, other major companies that reject the meat include Sainsbury’s, Burger King and McDonald’s. A spokesman for Sainsbury’s said: “While the FSA’s view is that there is little, if any, risk to human health from TB reactor cattle, our policy for many years has been to exclude these animals from our supply chain.” Waitrose said it too excluded such meat.
Community Veteran

Yeah but the trouble is the meat is sold to other companies who make insteant microwave meals etc.. and where do those end up on sale? supermarkets  Crazy
Community Veteran

A spokesman for Sainsbury’s said: “While the FSA’s view is that there is little, if any, risk to human health from TB reactor cattle, our policy for many years has been to exclude these animals from our supply chain.”

No Sprite! This statement makes it quite clear that their Supply Chain is clean!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

But how do they know what meat Rustlers use for instance? - They don't.
They may know what is in their own branded meats but it doesn't mean they know what is in other companies meat products.
As you may recall a while back, we were being sold beef that was horse. Many of you wouldn't have believed that either unless the press had exposed the scam.
They can say whatever they want but at the end of the day unless they watch every physical meat product being made with their own eyes, anything could be going into them.
Community Veteran

Because ALL of their suppliers will have warranted that their meat is also not from those sources!  They will also be subject to random checks by S & T staff.
I worked for nigh on 30 years in Supply Chain Management of the biggest food producer in the world!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Thanks NedLudd, spot on Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
Because ALL of their suppliers will have warranted that their meat is also not from those sources!

Wht like the european slaughter houses that certified their meat was beef? - None of which could explain how they managed to supply horse?
Processed food can't be trusted. If someone can somehow find a way to sneak in cheap meat they will. This has been proven recently and already there are those of you who choose to think it could never happen again.
Ned, please do tell me how the horse thing came about if its so impossible?
Community Veteran

No point in me continuing Sprite. Your mind is made up!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Well yeah it is.. it's called power, money and corruption!
Where people find an apportunity to make a profit at the expense of others, they'll use it regardless of the welfare of others. The recent horsemeat scandal just proves that it is still possible in todays age and that the food industry is not trustable.
Anyone remember the Tories saying mad cows were safe to eat? Ok we've not (so far) had a mass problem but there have been people who died from CJD and we were told there was absolutely no risk, not minimal, no risk.
Community Veteran

As usual you don't like facts to get in the way of a good rant.  To my knowledge nobody died as you stated.  Do you have any proof?
Community Veteran

I assume you're referring to my comments about mad cow disease? There were a few cases artmo yes. I can't remember the names but I can recall two different cases being in the media years ago.
Perhaps the WHO's own website would be proof enough for you artmo? - Found as the first result for "cjd deaths" on google:

On their webpage they continue to say about this:

Back to the bovine TB issue.. Yes I am having a rant.. I make no apologies for that but I honestly believe that the nations health should be put before profit. Is there anything wrong with that?
TB is a killer. Those animals are destroyed for this reason (or so we're told). It shouldn't be returned to the food chain. It's wrong.
I know you don't like me ranting artmo (even though you have a few grumbles here yourself lol) but this is something that I feel very strongly about. You should too. I know you're very pro-capitalism but even you must see that this is wrong surely?
Also one other thing..
Quote from: artmo
As usual you ... good rant. 

While I'm not going to take that seriously or even get mildly offended like I once might, I think you're being a little harsh considering I've tried to be very positive since coming out of hospital. I've been very reserved about posting anything that could be seen as negative and I even stayed out of the "I wish politicians would stop talking and do something....now!" thread - normally where you would find me having a right old moan and grumble. It's been what.. at least two months since I came back home so I feel that for you to say "As usual" is a bit harsh. I accept your apology. Have a nice day Smiley
Community Veteran

You need to look at the figures in perspective.  Whilst any death is regrettable the amount of deaths in your google crib is small in comparison to the total deaths.  To put it in perspective,  in 2011 alone 484,000 died in England and Wales.  How many were from CJD?
Yes, TB is a killer and it is for that reason that our food industry has made it clear that none of their products are affected.  What more do you want to hear from them? 
Community Veteran

True, yes it is a small proportion compared to the national death rate but it's still too many though isn't it? Ok, you could argue that we will all die of something and yes I agree but if there is even the smallest risk, it shouldn't be allowed as someone somewhere is almost certainly going to suffer for it.
The supermarkets may be saying they won't allow it in their stores but my point is, how can they say that their meaty products from joe blogg's meat supply co aren't TB infected? - While I'm sure they're testing their own meat products how can we be sure that they can be so confident about 3rd party products? - That is the point I'm trying to make.
As for what more I'd like to hear.. Well defra won't be selling dodgy meat to the food chain - that would be a good start!
Think I might turn veggie lol (since hospital I've given up on chocolate bars too!)
Community Veteran

Supermarkets don't actually make any food products - it's all bought in! There are odd cases of one of them controlling production, like Waitrose and beef, but that is an exception.
But, they do monitor all their suppliers very closely!
Geoff,
York.