cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More jobs to be lost

JamesM
Grafter

More jobs to be lost

I just went down to my local Tesco and they have got this new system of paying. You walk in, pick up a scanner and as you walk around, you scan everything you are going to buy, and put it in your trolley. Then as you are leaving, you put the scanner back into a machine, this then tells you how much you owe, you pay and leave.
60 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: More jobs to be lost

Had them for a couple of years around here.... never use them.... hardly worth the effort, when I only by a packet of mints and a lottery ticket 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well the people who made Tesco so big by going there only have themselves to blame. In 10 years when they're all moaning about it all being machines etc..
I prefer to be served by a human to be honest. The automated tills are often slow to change screens and frequently reject coins for no apparent reason.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
James
Grafter

Waitrose have used these for over 10 years.
JamesM
Grafter

James
Grafter

Quote from: James
Waitrose have been doing this for at least 10 years
Fixes: 104

i think they're great..
Will Moderate For Thanks
JamesM
Grafter

Yes, I did read it the first time James, you don't have to quote your own post again.
Community Veteran

I've been using these for the past 6 months and they are great.
I don't have any error on scanning as I make sure I scan as I put stuff in the bags.
You pack your bags as you go - no last minute rush as the person on the checkout hurls the eggs and biscuits at you down the conveyor.
You can price check as you go - no getting home, checking your receipt and finding you've been ripped off as the shelf label is wrong.
When you hear the words "could all red card holders please go to the checkouts", you don't shake with fear at the 10-15 minute queues you'll know you face after the next aisle. When you finish, you pay and go !
The scanning devices will show you if there are any other offers associated with the product you've just put in your trolley.
I do however miss the checkout ladies - I'd got to know them quite well over the years Sad
James
Grafter

Quote from: JamesM
Yes, I did read it the first time James, you don't have to quote your own post again.

I was only clarifying that I knew what you were referring to in the first place Wink
Fixes: 125

I assume there's a way of cancelling a scanned item as you walk about and change your mind about purchases?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I've been using it in my local Tesco for over a year and find it quicker...especially last Christmas.
Trouble is more people are latching on to it so more check-outs will be needed.
I have Tesco bags and like the idea of being able to walk round the store and put shopping straight into my bags.
@Mav yes you can and I've done so quite a few times. Sometimes I pick an item and further down the aisle find a better deal, so I swap.
A down side is you get a running total on the hand-held scanner which can be scary.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
I assume there's a way of cancelling a scanned item as you walk about and change your mind about purchases?

Who cares? They make enough money anyway without having us do their job for them! I'd rather some of their big fat profits get spent on employing people to be honest rather than do their job for them scanning it all myself. Stuff that!
If I'm paying for a cashier I'd prefer to use the cashier. Scanning it myself won't get a cheaper price so why bother?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
James
Grafter

Quote from: Mav

Yep, you can unscan items.
JamesM
Grafter

I agree with you Sprite, as the title says, more jobs to be lost. I for one will not be using it. Allthough the last 2 times I have been to tesco, I have had to take a box off the top shelf, to replenish the stock on the shelves below so I could buy what I went in for. So in that respect, I am doing their job for them.