Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More greed than need.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

More greed than need.

More greed than need as yet another couple grab those lottery millions and sure, they might give some of it away to their favourite football club or political party, but not without leaving themselves so short that they cannot buy that much needed mansion. 

Makes more sense to me to have a hundred winning a million rather than one winning a hundred. Crazy2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43889055

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: More greed than need.

Life changing for most of those who win that kind of money but looking at some past winners that change has not always been for the best.

No chance of me winning that amount or any amount as I simply do no do the lottery or gamble.

The real winners in the gambling industry are those that run the system such as the bookies, Vagas being a prime example, all the losers paid for those posh hotels.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman wrote:

Makes more sense to me to have a hundred winning a million rather than one winning a hundred. Crazy2

Thumbs Up

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Mayfly
Pro

I agree that a smaller cap (£20m?) and more benefit to others would be good but I wouldn't call those who win greedy. They buy their tickets and have the same chance as everyone else. I guess the lottery would say if prizes were capped to £1m they wouldn't sell the same amount of tickets.

Good luck to the winners I say, I don't begrudge them it at all.

And yes if I won £100m I would probably have a house built but many charities would benefit too. 

Steve
Seasoned Pro

It's a pretty dubious post @Minivanman unless I am reading it wrong.  I don't see anywhere in that link to BBC that they are going to blow it all. It's their money, their winnings and they can do what they like with it. Well done them!!

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Steve

Well of course well done them, but you don't think that's rather a ridiculous amount.

What would be the reaction and what would that make us as a species if the top prize was say a billion. There was no intent to make it personal to them only a desire to point out what it says about us as a society. As for blowing their money, I would think it difficult not to I mean, how much more can we buy than we need - and it was also a nod to another couple from Scotland who won far more than this pair around five or six years ago?

As said, far better that we have more prizes, and far better to give more a chance to make big bucks.

Share the luck, share the wealth. Thumbs Up   

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I can think of far worse things  that ' we as a species ' are doing wrong right now and winning a jackpot isn't one of them. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Then sorry @Steve, but whilst I agree I think you are missing the point but there you go, we all want more I guess and to misquote Orwell, “In order to hate greed, you have got to be part of it.”

So what are you going to do with your £100m when you win it? Wink

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I'm going to donate all of it to you @Minivanman Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

@Minivanman

What are you suggesting ? That I just keep one million and send the rest back ?

After buying the 2 cars I want I would be skint.

Cheesy

Community Veteran

@Steve wrote:

I'm going to donate all of it to you @Minivanman Thumbs Up

Careful @Steve people have joked about similar things and when they come to pass claim the statement was true.

@Minivanman.....Seems a decent chap so I think he would let you keep half or maybe just a million ?

Cheesy

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman Is definitely a nice chap @gleneagles I can personally vouch for that. Smiley

Fixes: 229

I agree, £121,000,000 is an awfully large amount and so much more than I would need so I'd give away the excess £1,000,000Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

I do not gamble, but also do not decry people, who have a mild flutter and some times win. Yes, there is great attraction in knowing mega sums can become yours, but the bait of such possible fortune has to have a warning attached: danger of a form of envy (impersonal of others who might win), and so addiction to the detriment of real persons near to one.

Money's only function is what one does with it, so I hope that any large winner uses it, not forgetting self and family, of course, to benefit community and other worthy causes. 

A terrible fear is that some may be unable to cope, leading to mental problems.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.