cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More from Big Brother, George Orwell had no idea it would be this bad

Community Veteran

More from Big Brother, George Orwell had no idea it would be this bad

A database to track and store the international travel records of millions of people is being compiled by the Government.
The intelligence centre will store names, addresses, telephone numbers, seat reservations, travel itineraries and credit card details for all 250 million journeys made in and out of the UK each year.
The computerised pattern of every individual's travel history will be kept for up to 10 years.
The government says the database is essential in the fight against crime, illegal immigration and terrorism.

Telegraph article
37 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: More from Big Brother, George Orwell had no idea it would be this bad

I'm not surprised as they want to record everything these days but again it won't stop the problem of illegal immigration.
On the other side of the coin, card or whatever, how do you obtain evidence to prosecute those who commit atroctities such as the London bombings.
Edit as was rambling on  a bit
Fixes: 47

At least I won't appear on it Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Information is already collected and stored if you have travelled to the US or Spain and the rest of the EU is to follow soon.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont know about recently, but the Caribineri in Italy in the early 90's certainly had that info, I went into the Bari station to try and find some distant relative in the region, once I had proved who I was, it  took them about 15 mins to tell me when they entered the country and where they were staying
Community Veteran

this is the good bit:
"The information will be kept for no more than 10 years. It will be protected in keeping with the Data Protection Act and appropriate security controls will ensure it is not used or accessed incorrectly."
'not used or accessed incorrectly'?  they'll give it away on cds, thumbdrives and laptops.
Community Veteran

Isn't this the sort of data, if they don't lose it, they would be sharing with the Americans and other security services
Community Veteran

They are going to have one hell of a data center as they are trying to capture every email and phone call as well. The country will become one big data center to keep up and we will move to the sea. What are they going to do with all the data as its almost unusable imagine everyone email for a year that will run into billions of records.
Do they expect terrorist to send plain text messages like we are going to bomb the bus at 12 O'Clock on Thursday? So with all this data how will it be of any use until after the event after all you can create new email accounts in seconds. Storing all the info about travel is great for terrorist they just hack in and have loads of details that would normally take months to find out.
The more data you store and the more people you employ to store the data the risk of someone stealing it goes up
Community Veteran

Maybe it's a subtle ploy by Brown to solve the unemployment problem by making everyone into a data controller Wink
Fixes: 125

Quote from: samuria
...they are trying to capture every email...

Now there's one good reason to increase the amount of spam Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Information is already collected and stored if you have travelled to the US ...

quite, on entry to the US at the moment they take electronic photos of your face and electronic scans of all fingers/thumbs ... so the US has this information but not the UK!
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
techguy
Grafter

As someone once corrected me on here and I've since read, they are not going to capture e-mail content (as practically how could they as data centres take a long time to plan and build and even if they used the containerised ones there would have to be a lot of them)
I suspect what they will do is pass a law which forces ISPs to run a black box server that does the logging inbetween the gateway (MX) and the POP3/IMAP servers that users interact with.
Bearing in mind that they want ideally to catch the terrorists before they commit acts of terrorism and identify those that maybe going to certain parts of the world for training, how else can they gather evidence in addition to that they can gain domestically?
Anyone here got any ideas?
Lurker
Grafter

/pedant mode
If a person is stopped from committing an act of terrorism, is that person a terrorist?
Before leaping to the first answer that comes to your head - consider replacing 'terrorist' with 'rapist' or 'murderer'
/end pedant mode.
Just a thought to liven up the grey matter on a Monday morning.
techguy
Grafter

Thing is James that with the brand of terrorists you have now who think nothing of blowing themselves up in the belief they are martyrs its a bit too late after the event don't you think?
Like I've said before, people post a topic on here saying hiow terrible something like this is but they don't suggest an alternative.
Sure I'd love to live in a world where everyone is nice to each other but sadly we don't.
Lurker
Grafter

But they aren't terrorists until they terrorise somebody, until that point they are just potential criminals. Wink
Mine was a question about language, rather than anything to do with the object of discussion.