cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More ebay fakes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

More ebay fakes

I ordered a 16Gb sdcard from ebay, got it today, and did a test on it .
Result:
  Data OK: 109.55 MB (224368 sectors)
Data LOST: 15.11 GB (31695104 sectors)
      Corrupted: 15.11 GB (31695104 sectors)
Slightly changed: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
    Overwritten: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
So a 128MB card masquerading as a 16Gb one.
I used f3 to test it.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: More ebay fakes

Yes I got one of those. Got a refund PDQ.  Wink
Community Veteran

I opened a case, and threatened to take it to the local TS. I still may offer it to them.
Was your seller hamzaaagela ?

Community Veteran

Never ever buy a memory card off eBay !
I've heard so many stories of fakes on there it's unreal.
Community Veteran

I guess they would say they're not liable as they only provide the buying/selling service.
Community Veteran

Well if you can afford to pay *2 or *3 and buy them locally then fine. But I don't have that luxury. I have had card from ebay before with no issues, it is usually the CH sellers you have to beware of - this was a UK seller.
I got an 8Gb off ebay for my pi, it worked fine for ONE DAY then failed. The seller sent me a replacement straight away, it is still working fine.
I always test them when I get them using f3 and a full test, can take an hour or so but the results are well worth the wait, see 1st post.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m a bit wary of "something that looks too good to be true"... and recently "almost" bought something from a geezer with the "Item Location" as Swansea.... then I saw that the delivery time was about 2 weeks royal mail.... Hmm.. dodgy.. to say the least...
another item I wanted to buy, would have cost me about £8 in postage, so I sent the seller a message asking if I could collect it, as the "Item Location" was PORTSMOUTH... i.e. just down the road.. and it would have been cheaper and quicker to collect... he declined to let me call and collect.. so again... Dodgy... and I did not buy the item...
just two small "pointers" to items coming from China/Hong Kong .... always worth checking out the feedback, even if it shows 100% as you can then delve a bit further into the sellers location... esp with a name like hamzaaagela  Undecided
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
I ordered a 16Gb sdcard from ebay, got it today, and did a test on it ...

A few years ago, Kingston were facing a real problem with fake Kingston branded memory cards and DDR on the market. All were originating from somewhere in China [Shenzen] and were built from outdated and surplus chips. Even when the capacity was as quoted, the timing was much slower. Those cards are still out their. Fake cards are also branded Corsair and SanDisk. I'm waiting for fake SSD packs to emerge.
Quote from: shutter
I`m a bit wary of "something that looks too good to be true"... and recently "almost" bought something from a geezer with the "Item Location" as Swansea.... then I saw that the delivery time was about 2 weeks royal mail.... Hmm.. dodgy.. to say the least...

That's what really pizzez me off about eBay - China is not the UK but chinese suppliers flood the listing with their stuff. Even the UK Only filter retains companies with two weeks by royal mail delivery. I've even noticed Chinese companies placing Union Flags in their product pictures. As a rule, I only buy from UK based suppliers who only ship to the UK and, who only accept PayPal.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
esp with a name like hamzaaagela  Undecided

Well it came by RM within 2 days, and we are a multicultural nation mate. He is based in Huddersfield btw, that well know suburb in China  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah... Point taken.....  Cheesy
Community Veteran

In the past I've noticed some items listed as being from the UK. When I've sent the seller a query the reply has been sent in very broken English and obviously from China.  I think some sellers now have an agent in the UK for speed of delivery and also to 'convince' buyers they are dealing with a UK based company.
Razer
Grafter

I have bought many, many items from China. In the cases of the probably less than 1% where there was a problem, I was refunded without question and without asking for such. I have had one instance of someone purporting to be UK based but I could tell they were not. When I got my item two days later I found that the item was posted from a warehouse at one of our airports, and could also tell it had previously been sent there from the Indian sub-continent. So UK suppliers can be UK suppliers, even if they are not in the UK.