cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Rubbish.....

Community Veteran

More Rubbish.....

Binmen refused to collect bin three inches out of position
Binmen refused to collect a wheelie bin because a homeowner claims he left it three inches out of its required position.
Rob Owens, 49, who is a lorry driver, placed his bin on a patch of grass at the end of a path leading to his home because he was going away for a few days and did not want to block the path.
However, the binmen noticed it was three inches too far to the right and not squarely on the path, so refused to pick it up.
According to Worcester City Council, grey and green wheelie bins must be placed for collection at the end of paths leading to houses and not on grass verges.
Mr Owens, who lives in Worcester with his partner Anna Milner, 45, said: "I phoned the council and they told me it was because I'd left it in the wrong place.
"I just couldn't believe it. You would literally have to put your arm out a couple of inches to reach it.
"They're even on wheels. It's absolutely outrageous."

Telegraph Article
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: More Rubbish.....

I think we must be lucky in my area.  We never have a problem with our wheelie bin collections. Looking out last night I noticed that no two neighbours seemed to have their bin in the same location.  I think this is down to the control the council exert on the contractor.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The only control we seem to have here is that you must be able to shut the lid of the bin and no side bags, not yet enforced through all the district but soon will be.
on the recycle day, the sorting depot has now got a complex machine that separates every thing, so we put it in one bag, Tins, Aluminium, Paper, Cardboard, plastic bags, Plastic bottles.  the dont seem to mind though, this week put a pile of flat boxes 2M x 1 M and on top of that like a sledge the plastic bads of the other stuff the man grabbed one end and dragged it to the truck.
The do a second collection on the same day for Garden and Compost from kitchen.
Glass bottle we have to take to the collection points around the area.
Not yet sorted out electrical and batteries, take then to the large collection point, the man grabs the copper wire and dumps the rest in a skip, likewise the batteries, should be returned to source, not the big hole in the ground
Community Veteran

ain't we all becoming well trained little monkeys?  is it time for mass civil disobedience where we all wheel our bins in the direction of our local town halls to tell the other monkeys in there that we pay their wages, the wages of the contractor and who the hell do they think they are dictating to?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Round here, they've only just put them in.
Living at a flat, we have a communal paper/glass/tin one.
The council forgot that while placing bins is fine, they need to be emptied now and again Roll eyes
So they overflowed for two weeks.
Thankfully they don't seem to be scamming people via bin fines .. yet.
They're too busy putting humps down roads which don't need it, and not resurfacing roads which do.
scootie
Grafter

are blue box recycle bin if i forget to put it over a smallish fence weve got to keep the dogs in the young lad whos on the round comes all the way down are drive way and bends over the fence to get it.
i reckon if the councils health an saftey dude saw him do that they would have kittens
Fixes: 104

we don't have set places for putting them out and there certainly isn't any care taken putting them back, coming home just after they've finished is like a round of it's a knockout Crazy
Our rule is no side bags (apart from Christmas)  there have been a few occasions where my lid wasn't shut and it has been take fine.
Will Moderate For Thanks
jmd
Grafter

We don't have any set rules about where you place bins - as long as they are near road/on pavement.
However, when I come back in the binmen regularly leave my bin and my neighbours in the middle of my driveway................... so I have to stop car and move them before I can drive in! Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmdlp
binmen regularly leave my bin and my neighbours in the middle of my driveway.........

Ours often do the same and I actually think it's fair enough:
1. They're not leaving it blocking the footpath
2. It's gone back onto your premises
They don't seem fussy about exactly where it's placed either, as long as it's obviously "out for collection" and on or near the footpath/kerb.
Though TBH where they're left I reckon is probably down to what's convenient at the time given where the truck stops exactly.
I've no general complaints about our service. It's general rubbish (black wheelie bin) every 2 weeks and kitchen/garden waste (green wheelie) the alternate 2 weeks. Paper (box) fortnightly with the green collection and glass every 4 weeks (alternate black bin schedule).
Plus we have plenty of local recycling centres for all sorts of other stuff. Overall it works well.
They even supply little green boxes (with tight-fitting lids) to collect kitchen scraps before putting them in the green bin - though most of ours gets composted. Due to the processes they use it's possible to put kitchen waste in the green bins that you wouldn't normally compost at home which is a bonus - e.g. turkey carcasses at Xmas.
itsme
Grafter

Our wheelies are left anywhere on the public footpaths. Not sure what mothers with prams, people in wheelchairs and the blind do on collection day but I would not be surprised that they stay in that day unless they feel up to doing a salom course.
Community Veteran

Our local service is ok and there are no rules to where the bin has to be exactly as long as they can get it from the pavement or the end of the drive.
Everyone puts them neatly in place so that people can walk past etc but  Adie's comment was true for me also, when they have been it looks like it's a knockout with bins everywhere.
We now have three bins and a green box.
Once a fortnight, brown: garden waste, blue; plastic and glass (with a tray inside for newspapers and magazines) and a green box for cardboard
Alternate weeks, green; household waste.
If I have extra bags of garden waste, I take them out as the truck arrives and they will always throw it in the back for me but if you just leave the bag they won't take it. 
We had a note from the council telling us not to put yoghurt pots, butter containers and plastic food trays in the plastic reycling as it was the wrong kind of plastic.
Stewie
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
ain't we all becoming well trained little monkeys?  is it time for mass civil disobedience where we all wheel our bins in the direction of our local town halls to tell the other monkeys in there that we pay their wages, the wages of the contractor and who the hell do they think they are dictating to?

I seem to spend ages washing my rubbish!  For crying out loud.
I would like some kind of return for my efforts like in the old days when you got money back for returning glass bottles.
My only incentive for the effort  is I dont want to give the authorities an excuse to build an incinerator up wind. There is a modern one at our hospital and the smell - like weedkiller - makes you gag when waiting at the traffic lights nearby. And that does meet the regulations!
On the other hand I am grateful our rubbish and recycling is collected at all.
Community Veteran

Our council is not too bad - no extremes as reported here.
But there have been stories of some retired folk who are limited in their physical strength / mobility - not being able to move their bin to the end of their path - and not having rubbish collected.
When asked - the excuse was - we would have to do a risk assessment to see if we could safely have our refush collectors move the bin down the uneven garden path !!!!.
Now most bin men I have seen are very fit if not burly men who would be well able to cope.
I mean years ago they had to lift the old bins to shoulder height - to tip into the wagons.
Community Veteran

Judging by other comments our council seem good.  Our wheelie bins with normal waste are emptied weekly with garden waste, glass and paper being taken fortnightly.  They normally leave the bin roughly where they pick it up from.
I wonder, however, what happens to all the items collected.  As a lot of the waste no longer have any economic value to the councils who used to be able to sell such things as paper.  A lot of paper ended up in India but I understand this doesn't happen any more.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Referring to the OP (is that allowed?) I always feel that whenever something like this gets a lot of publicity, I suspect we only get half the story, that there is almost certainly a lot of history going on in the background.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.