cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moral Question

nadger
Rising Star

Moral Question

I know someone who was walking through the rain, on Sunday, when they found a loose, and sodden, genuine £50 note at side of road.
I know what they did but what would you have done?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Moral Question

I know in these times many folks will stick it in their pocket. I'd be tempted but the paranoia would also get the better of me.
You can take it to the fuzz (so it'll still end up in your pocket or wallet) and hand it in as lost property and get a receipt for it. If its not claimed I think after three months they let you have it back.
Personally though I don't like £50 notes. I'd probably not even touch it as I'd get paranoid about it being fake.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 121

I agree with sprite. Except it wouldn't be paranoia that would get to me rather a sense of fair play.
If I lost 50 squid in the street, though, I doubt if I'd go to the police as 1) I'd probably feel a bit stupid at losing it in the first place and 2) I'd doubt if there were many people who would hand it in.
Quote from: Sprite
Personally though I don't like £50 notes. I'd probably not even touch it as I'd get paranoid about it being fake.

I would have thought you'd have more chance of seeing a forged £20 than a £50 Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

How would someone prove they were the rightful owner of the note unless they jotted down the serial numbers of all their notes Undecided
Personally it would go in my wallet in view of my previous sentence. Smiley
Correction: I'd take it to my bank and change it for 2 x £20 and 1 x £10 as no-one seems to accept a £50 note.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Was that the one for receiving or aiding and abetting  Lips are sealed

Smart Alec Tongue

Quote from: Strat
How would someone prove they were the rightful owner of the note unless they jotted down the serial numbers of all their notes Undecided

I suppose if you were able to give the location where it was lost that would be sufficient. After all nobody else would just give a location off the top of their head on the off-chance that someone handed in a fifty, would they Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Simple answer to that question.
Keep it for a week and if you come across no one who is going on about losing a £50 note then just put it in the nearest charity box !
This reminds me of a mate of mine who was working on his car and found a £10 note on his driveway, a little later he found another one then it dawned on him that there was a hole in his pocket and it was his own money .

Quote from: Mav
I suppose if you were able to give the location where it was lost that would be sufficient.

Assuming it wasn't a windy day Wink
I was once in Meadowhall one busy Saturday and saw a man come out of a shop with an armful of items and trying to sort his change.
He dropped a £20 note without noticing and walked off into the crowd.
I walked up to the note, picked it up and set off after the owner who I could see in the distance.
Try as I might I couldn't catch him up without literally pushing people out of my way and I eventually lost him. The note went in my pocket.
Now I know what you are thinking, either "you didn't try very hard" or "you didn't go after him at all" but my son was with me and it pays to set a good example. Smiley
Anyone who has been in Meadowhall on a Saturday afternoon near Christmas knows only too well the problem I had.
James
Grafter

Anyone who has been in Meadowhall on a Saturday afternoon near Christmas knows only too well the problem I had.

*Shudders at the thought*

strat's story reminded me of an incident in 2006 when I was in Kyiv with my wife and parents. SWMBO was off browsing with mum and I was walking about with dad. My Russian is pretty bad but my dad didn't have a clue.
Anyway, as we were walking along so a fellow in front of us dropped some bank notes. Didn't look like much, probably around 10 or 20 Hryvnia (1 or 2 squid). I told dad to just leave it and walk on but he insisted on picking it up and chased after him. His attempts in trying to explain why he accosted this fella going about his business were comedic to say the least and the fella (who spoke no English) had a look of fear wondering why he was being offered 20 Hryvnia by a much older man.
I took the money from dad, apologised as best as I could to the other fella and dragged dad away.

wacky17
Grafter

I really think it depends on where you live if you hand in the money found to your local police station. I once found a laptop under my parked car (strange i know) with the screen cracked but still working, so i handed it in. Weeks later i rang up to see if anyone claimed it. No had claimed it so i did but they said that the hard drive had to be removed because of data protection which is fair enough but after 2 more weeks thinking it was mine the police said that they had destroyed it (lie).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Not quite £50 I know, but I once found a £10 note on the floor going through London Bridge train station.
Of course I kept it, I think the police would have told me to stop wasting their time. I could have handed it to staff, but no doubt it would have ended up in their own pocket instead of mine.
I would only hand something in if it was a wallet, a bag, a phone or something which could be used to identify the original owner.

If I lost a £50 note in the street and went into our local Police Station to report it I would expect to be laughed out of the place Grin
nadger
Rising Star

The person who found the £50 note dried it and did all the security checks http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/current/security_50.htm
They then paid it into their dual fuel account at Post Office.
Can't say that I'd have gone to police station.