cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moon and Planet pic

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Moon and Planet pic

Can any astronomer identify the planet that has just appeared from behind the moon tonight and is now transiting away from it?
Pictures below taken at 17:40g.m.t (1 december 200Cool 10 miles north of Portsmouth
23 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Moon and Planet pic

http://www.astronomytoday.com/skyguide.html
November 3rd: the Moon and Jupiter. On the last night of November and the first of December it's well worth observing the conjunction of Moon, Venus and Jupiter.

Smiley
Community Veteran

Thanks for that..... glad I got the shots, even though not very good quality... Only had a couple of minutes to set up camera and tripod before the moon disappeared behind a tree..... and it was b******Y cold as well !
James
Grafter

It still is!!
pd
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
Thanks for that..... glad I got the shots, even though not very good quality... Only had a couple of minutes to set up camera and tripod before the moon disappeared behind a tree..... and it was b******Y cold as well !

Nice pics Shutter.  No chance here in N.Wales - total cloud cover, can't even see the moon - and yes, it is cold 4°C.
Fixes: 104

Yeah lovely shots, saves me going out in the cold  Grin
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Any photo data Shutter, aperture, speed etc
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

Yes, beautiful shots - most impressed. I'm just nipping out now to have a gawk..................
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Any photo data Shutter, aperture, speed etc

The funny answer .........

Shutter .........  thats me !   
Aperture  ............  thats a hole   
Speed..........  wish I had some... it was quick cos it was cold !

Here is the EXIF from the camera

shutter 1/4
f number 3.2
ISO 64
Exposure Program Normal
focal length 63.00mm
Exposure mode Auto
White balance Auto
---------------------------
shutter 1/128
f number 3.25
ISO 64
Exposure Program Normal
Focal length 63.00mm
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Auto
------------------------------------
Shutter 1/4
f number 8.0
ISO 64
Exposure program Aperture Priority
Focal length 63.00mm
Exposure Mode Auto
White balance Auto
Basically, I got a phone call........ go and look at the moon....... went out couldn`t see it for trees, then went down side driveway, saw the moon with just a little star on bottom right corner, looked really good... got camera & tripod set up, click six takes, and you see the best three !!.
Fixes: 47

13/11/2008 07:24
Canon EOS 400D
f/5
1/60 sec
ISO 400
18mm
Hand held.
The trouble with scenes like these is you could stand and take shot after shot as it just gets better up to a point.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yes, I love sunrise, and sunset.  The way the colours change, so slowly, yet subtly.    really the most beautiful time of day, depending on how you feel, it siginfies the end  of the day, or beginning of the day, the end of the night or the beginning of night. And all for free....  Smiley
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

To follow the sunrise, here's a sunset, looking over the Moray Firth, taken on Midsummer's Day 2004 from my track leading to the road.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

That`s a really good "burning sky"... well caught sir.  Must put my sunglasses on for that one  Cool
Loombucket
Grafter

Having a better than average astronomical telescope I checked up on this.  Utilising full magnification and a considerable degree of digital enhancement I was able to obtain a fairly clear image.
I think you'd all better have a rethink, guys.........

We are not alone......  Wink

Community Veteran

My bedroom's on the third floor of a block of maisonettes and faces west so I get quite a good view of sunsets, although there's another block the same height only a short distance a way so the lower portion of my view is always obstructed. Nevertheless, I've taken over 50 photos of sunsets out of my bedroom windows over the past few years, which you can see here if you want to take a look - they're in chronological order so the better ones are towards the bottom of the page (as my equipment and technique has improved over time). If you don't fancy trawling through loads though, this is one of my favourites: