Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Molton Keynes !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Molton Keynes !

Scam.

A fraudulent bank letter has been sent to homeowners, asking them to send back their debit cards as they are at risk of 'catching fire'.

The return address for 'Mr Smith', an alleged debit card safety manager at Barclays, is on Bangalore Lane, Bangalore, India.

"This is a matter of the uppermost emergency as your card could create a pocket fire at any given moment, burning your legs and stomach terribly. This is because of a fault in the factory process at our debit card factory in Molton Keynes(sic).

"Therefore, for your own safety and verification, please complete the bottom of this form, and return it with your debit card to the safety manager."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-warning-over-probably-wo...

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

Re: Molton Keynes !

Would have been even funnier if he'd spelt it 'Molten Keynes'Grin

I'm a bit confused as to why they need to issue a warning though - unless your IQ is <1, surely it is an obvious spam?

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah, and if it were true why not ask you to dispose of the card and they will send out another one. They don't need it back.

Reminds me of Impossible Mission (wasn't it?).

"This card will self distruct in 5 seconds" Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

WOW that's totally ludicrous and really beggars belief, I just hope no one is stupid enough to fall for this. If they do then how are they going to pay their subs to the Darwin Award Society as they evidently must be a member of!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

Of course what they haven't thought of is the potential for these cards to set fire to the local postal services along the way!

Crunchie
Rising Star

The thing is that it doesn't cost every much to print a letter like this and stick it into an envelope. Add in a list of stolen names and addresses and a few stamps.

If only one or two people get suckered and send in their debit cards, then the whole operation is a success because there's potentially many thousands of pounds to withdraw from those cards.

Pete
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1 wrote:

Would have been even funnier if he'd spelt it 'Molten Keynes'Grin

I like that. Thumbs Up

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Would be interesting to see how many people responded !  There is a problem today with people who have an IQ less than their shoe size, lets face it if less than 5% are hooked it is a nice payday.  If I was a bank i would be inclined not to cover any losses from such an obvious scam, treat it as though someone has written their PIN on the back of the card,  it is just as stupid.

Community Veteran

Yes, slightly OT but on the subject of scams:

My sister told me after the event, as I wasn't there. She got some call and allowed someone a remote session on my parents laptop.

Massive Roll eyes

I would have told them a more sweary version of "Get lost" (can't say it here of course!).

She got a telling off from me, and now I have to rebuild it as goodness knows what they did. Great.

Highlighted
Crunchie
Rising Star

But it's not as simple as people just being stupid.  There's an increasing number of older and more vulnerable people living alone who don't have the capability to decide what's a scam and what isn't.  Sometimes if something looks official enough, they'll just do as they're told (as they have done all their lives).

It's really quite worrying.

Pete
Crunchie
Rising Star

@Alex wrote:

She got a telling off from me, and now I have to rebuild it as goodness knows what they did. Great.

They've also looked at and stole some of the data on the PC while they "talked" your sister through the problem.  So, assume that her bank card numbers have been taken, and passwords.

Pete
Community Veteran

True @Crunchie 

My sister has a degree and is IT literate, so I was surprised when I found out after it happened.

A call out of the blue when there is nothing wrong with the PC (well not until this event anyway) is mind boggling how she even fell for it.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Now I find this out!

I posted my Saga card back yesterday. Sad

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

I carry my cards in my breast pocket and thought it was just heartburn, but reading this I might have narrowly escaped being incinerated.

It would be fun to obtain some fake debit cards to send to them.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

The answer to the question "Can people really be that stupid?" is always yes.

@TheTweetOfGod