cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderation

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Moderation

I'm fed up of reading all that drivel!  Better out of the way of here if you ask me.
A pointless crusade.
Highlighted
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
Edit: The problem with the TBB forums is that they are not properly moderated - I haven't seen a sign of a moderator on there all day!

Unfortunately there was never a replacement for Martin, when he died, and he was the best moderator I've ever seen.
Don is possibly on holiday or he would probably have locked that thread a lot earlier as it was in danger of vanishing etc etc.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

His last post was a few days ago so I guess he is on holiday.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 2

Quote from: LiamM
I'm fed up of reading all that drivel!  Better out of the way of here if you ask me.

Actually quite an enlightening thread, if read from the start right through to the end as far as it's currently got.
I have to say I found Dusty an okay-kind-of-guy - impassioned, certainly, but that's not a bad thing in itself.
I think - as per my post at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1284.msg11871#msg11871 - that there needs to be some discussion of "how" moderation is done here - particularly the request that moderators don't express personal views on the subject under discussion at the time of moderation - and also that it might be constructive for potential banning to be *visible* on a thread (rather than done by PM).
A simple post on a thread to the effect that "it is regretted that posters throwing insults such as the above will be banned for one month if this is repeated within 24 hours" (or some such).
That way it's impersonal and it's in full view of everyone so any progressions such as those outlined on the TBB thread would be unlikely in the extreme.
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Hi
I started to read the thread on the other board, but unlike Penny fell asleep half way through (well on the first page actually).
I'm sure you're right Penny, but in all honesty, I couldn't be bothered to go further.
If my kids behaved this way, they would, as Jelv suggests, "be sent to the naughty step".  The term "throwing teddy out of the pram" springs to mind.  I agree with Penny's suggestions about moderating.  The actual moderation should have nothing to do with the moderator's personal opinion.
I do of course recognise that they are entitled to their opinion as we all are, but those opinions should be divorced from anything to do with the moderation.
John
Highlighted
Grafter

You do make a valid point Penny but i believe the way the moderating is done here as it was on the original PN forums works and cant see any need for change just because of one or two antagonistic individuals which will still happen from time to time regardless
Im also of the opinion that a warning PM to be better than making it public as its more likely to add fuel to fire receiving a public slap on the wrist for all to see rather than a more personal private one
I don't think James has done himself any favours although he wasnt in the wrong by pursuing the matter elsewhere although i understand he has the right to voice his opinions anywhere he likes as we all have but in hindsight maybe it would of been better just left here - looking back you may agree or you may not James just my view of things
Quote from: LiamM
A pointless crusade.

I agree Liam better forgotten but im sure his crusade will go on for some time to come... anyone remember beechpark  Grin

Bill.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I had not realised till now that Dusty had been banned. I too only read the part of the first page and I properly guess what is on the remaining ones.
Also I would like to add my agreement to Pennys suggestion in that Moderators are quite welcome to post their views but should keep moderation posts separate to personal opinions.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Spider
Also I would like to add my agreement to Pennys suggestion in that Moderators are quite welcome to post their views but should keep moderation posts separate to personal opinions.

I think that's a great idea, and I will champion it to the other moderators.
The more astute members of the forum, will have already spotted that I change the way I sign off posts. In the familiar "Chilly" for personal posts, but use the formal "Jonathan" for moderating posts.
Chilly
Highlighted
Rising Star

In one way accepting the role of "moderator" deprives you of the right to post opinions willy nilly.
This may seem a harsh point of view but unfortunately you can't have it both ways so need to always give careful consideration to one's posts.
Lecture over  Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I agree with that, moderators have a right, to a personal option. But needs to be expressed with some care.
Chilly
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I think the vast majority of the critisim the mods have faced in this thread has been uncalled for. There are a few things that have happened over the years by moderators (myself included) that wernt always the best thing or right thing to do, but moderators are human and are just working to help people and correct problems and mistakes of other people.
It seems there are a lot of experts here who think they know better than the current moderators. I guess then that we should see a good turn out of nominees next time they are looking for an additional moderator?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: fa55
I think the vast majority of the critisim the mods have faced in this thread has been uncalled for.

I would be grateful if you could clarify which critism in this thread, although in a minority you feel is justified.
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Bill_M

I agree Liam better forgotten but im sure his crusade will go on for some time to come... anyone remember beechpark  Grin

Oooh.. Bill.  That makes me shudder.  I was a moderator of these parts (well, the PlusNet Forums) during the beechpark days and I remember speaking to an Eclipse networks engineer at midnight one night when he had posted some very insulting comments about me and the other mods alongside some very offensive pictures on his Eclipse webspace.
He kept signing up so many free accounts to spam the forums with his URL that we had to word censor as many combinations of it that we could think of and even had to turn off guest access for a while.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Actually I think it is a shame Dusty is banned.
I certainly don’t agree with 80% of what he says but the other 20% was interesting and of course it is good to have some differing opinions and perspectives. The truth is relative isn’t it? It is often the case that when folks look at the same thing one will swear it is black when the other sees white? I think there have been faults on both sides. I must say I was quite amazed to see that plusnet moderators continued the discussion on Dusty’s site after he was banned from the community forum.
Is his ban permanent?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

No his ban in not permanent.
Dusty will be invited to rejoin us, in due course.
We do ask that all members that have had their access suspended to acknowledge and agree to the forum rules before they are allowed to return.
Jonathan
aka Chilly