cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderation

Dusty
Grafter

Moderation

I find the moderation on these forums to be really lacking. Us as users have rules. Can we have a rule for moderators, and us as user see them .
Example : Posting in English Language only please thread. A moderator closes it but not before giving his opinion locking the thread and making sure no one has a right to reply to his comments. Surely good moderation  would be to give the reason why the thread is closed with out voicing an opinion and making sure no one can challenge his opinion on the subject, by closing the thread.
Plus i noticed that the said moderator answered some questions on behalf of plusnet. Was his points fact or not and should a moderator be taking on that roll in the first place ?
Plus, Why do we need forum bright sparks ? To me it encourages blind obedience and from what i can see unreasonable behavior in the pursuit of defending the isp that gave the title in the first place. Its like having a forum with a cast system and us  members are at the lower end of that cast . I think it breeds favoritism from moderators and a feeling of immunity from the persons who have the title.
53 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: Moderation

Personally, I thought that was good, balanced moderation which bought the debate to a timely close.
You do of course have a right to reply, like you just did.  Grin
Ian
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: Ianwild
Personally, I thought that was good, balanced moderation which bought the debate to a timely close.
Ian

I agree completely.
itsme
Grafter

As topics seem to be closed or moved on a members suggestion can I recommend that this topic is moved to Community Support. We then can discuss whether the Moderation is seen to be impartial in the eyes of the general members.
Dusty
Grafter

As this topic neither contributes ideas nor suggestions for development of the Community Site, can I suggest it is moved to Community Support or General Chit Chat as seen appropriate.
Can I suggest comments re: Forum Bright Sparks are kept to the existing debate on the topic here.

I would rather people reply to my comments in my thread, regardless if the word bright spark is used in another thread.
Is a bright spark a moderator ? Because i noticed a lot of Bright Sparks seem to push where and how and who and what should be posted in this forum.  that be the very example of what i was talking about in my opening post .
Edit due to a spilling mistake
Community Veteran

I was about to move the thread before someone suggested it to be done, so therefore I used my discretion to do so.
As this particular discussion does not warrant Community support, it will stay in General Chit Chat.
A Bright Spark is NOT a moderator, nor do they have access to any moderator areas.
Maybe it would be a good idea to read this thread
itsme
Grafter

Rogerloxton please answer the question raised by Dusty
Surely good moderation  would be to give the reason why the thread is closed with out voicing an opinion and making sure no one can challenge his opinion on the subject, by closing the thread.
Plus i noticed that the said moderator answered some questions on behalf of plusnet. Was his points fact or not and should a moderator be taking on that roll in the first place ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As Bright Sparks probably spend more time on these forums than the average user, they are probably more aware of the structure than anyone else and so more likely to flag these things up.
Whether a moderator agrees and takes action is up to them.
Especially as we are all so new to these forums I think it is important that we all take notice of the descriptions of the forums and flag up when topics are misplaced - otherwise I can see it descending in to total chaos if slip-ups are not corrected.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

So this topic about the forum Moderation should be in General Chit Chat? Sit well with the Jokes, trips to Prague and Guide Dogs topics.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: itsme
Rogerloxton please answer the question raised by Dusty
Surely good moderation  would be to give the reason why the thread is closed with out voicing an opinion and making sure no one can challenge his opinion on the subject, by closing the thread.

Was it not that answers which had already been given by Plusnet were repeated by the moderator? If so that would seem to me to be good moderating.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

To answer itsme and Dusty.
I am not employed by PlusNet, nor am I authorised to answer on their behalf.
However, where I am aware of their views from previous postings/other sources I will repeat them.

Dusty
Grafter

You never repeated anything, if you did feel free to point out what you repeated . I agree with Itsme . To put this topic with such threads as joke threads, is in fact a joke in its self .
I put the thread in the
Ideas, Suggestions & Wish lists!
Any ideas or suggestions you have on how we can improve the Community Site should be posted here.

Is it not a suggestion ideas then .
I truly think these forums are biased and run on a favouritism bases , its so clear to see, regardless what your views are regarding the polish forum .
Community Veteran

Quote from: Ianwild
Ian

I disagree because the thread was closed without giving a definitive answers to the suggestions I raised based on the inconsistencies of presentation of the various aspects of the Polish / English sections and the discrepancies in the forum rules.
Just to add insult to the sudden closure. Last night I lost all ADSL connection and when I tried to contact Plusnet two out of the three numbers were answered in Polish! The rep I finally spoke to explained the problem and I understand that problems happen, but I honestly thought I had kept dialing a wrong number or Plusnet had changed the numbers and I had missed the communication. It is for reasons like this that I feel that the presentation of the Polish sections needs to be improved and also why I feel that moderation was biased as posts that added nothing to the discussion, were allowed, insults were thrown in a nice general manner, but no action seems to have been taken by the moderation team to curb this.
[quote=rogerloxton]This topic will now be closed, and I hope that lessons will indeed be learned by all, in the fine art of toleration, and embracing change.
Yes, a lesson learned, but for me after reading your closing post it just added fuel to the fire as at no point did it address any of the points / suggestions I raised.
Dusty
Grafter

Have you noticed that, insults have been thrown by bright sparks but moderators seem unwilling to tag a post to their replies or quote from them . Instead they normally generalise or ignore it . 
Please remember this forum is for plusnet customers and not for a select few to use it as there own elitist knocking shop.
Me personally am happy with my plusnet connection, always have been . But iv nearly left twice due to the way these forums are run and the flippant manner iv been spoken too on here.
As a customer i find it very disingenuous that i come on a customers forum and have other customers acting like they rule the roost.
Then we have the ignore evade move or delete threads and posts. Anything negative towards plusnet and along comes a moderator to always defend plusnet, followed by a bright spark to back him up, surely i cant be the only one to notice?
Suggestions.  Moderators are not impartial, no matter how often they bang on they are and they should not be answering questions in  threads directed at plus net staff. Secondly, ditch this forum bright spark thing, it serves no purpose but to humour a select few. Plus whats this new one legend about ? is this another add on to make someone feel they are better than us ?
Having Bright Sparks constantly suggest this should be moved etc just goes to prove there is truth in what i say. They think they have special privileges over plusnet customer on here, do they ? it sure looks like it from where I'm sitting.
Dusty
Grafter

I think you are attaching too much importance to the rank of Bright Spark.

No, i think you and plusnet are attaching too much importance to the rank of Bright Spark, and dare i say it so do the bright Sparks them selves.
The other alternatives of course is to stop coming here if you don't like it.

I think that one is the old chestnut been played out many a time. I will keep coming here and will voice my opinion on matters i don't like, I'm sure that's the road you would like me to go. Secondly, are you saying i need to be a moderator here to see injustices and bad practice dealt with  Shocked
So my choices are leave or try and become a mod. Here is a novel idea, how about a customer voicing an opinion and someone actually listening, with out him having to leave or be a moderator.
This is rediculouse and clearly proves no one is listening or gives a hoot unless you have a title behind you.