Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Router Help

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Modem Router Help

Hi All
I came across these posts on Force9s Discussion Forums, and I think that the members of the Community Site would be interested in them!
I know that Force9 will be moving these posts over to the Community Site in the next year or sow!   Wink
But I think that the members of: PlusNet, plusnet uk, Free-Online and Metronet will benefit from the information.   Smiley

Topic: DSL G624T
By: thecourts
Posted: 24 Nov 2006 08:50 am
Hi
Can anybody help, I've just got a new Dsl g624t Modem\Router and would like to know what the best settings are to get the best performance and reliability.
Thanks in advance.
Alan.

Topic: DSL G624T
By: thehudsons
Posted: 25 Nov 2006 11:49 pm
Should be automatic settings.
8 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Re: Modem Router Help

Topic: Configuring wireless on Orange Livebox - some helpful hints
By: martinunderwood
Posted: 07 Feb 2007 12:55 pm 

I was called to set up a customer's PC to talk to an Orange Livebox router. I had great problems with the PC's wireless adaptor failing to connect to the network until people put me straight on a couple of peculiarities of this router. I thought I'd share them with you in case you fall foul of them.
Firstly, although the config menus don't make any mention of MAC address filtering, the Livebox does actually seem to filter on MAC address: it refuses to talk to a MAC that it doesn't know about. The trick is to put the router into "pairing mode" which allows it temporarily to accept connections from any device and to learn those MAC addresses for future use. To do this, press the "1" button on the side of the router. This wireless light will flash at a rate of about once per second. Now get the PC to connect. You have 10 minutes to do this. Once you've connected, you will continue to have access even after the router has come out of pairing mode.
Secondly, the Livebox seems to support simultaneous WEP and WPA encryption. I found that PCs which use the Windows XP Zero Config Service fail to get an IP address whereas ones which use proprietary software are OK. This is resolved by setting the Livebox's encryption to "WPA only" rather than "WPA and WEP".
Hope these hints help you avoid tearing your hair out like I was!
By the way, if you have a lot of PCs to connect wirelessly, you might decide to change the WPA key (which Livebox calls a WEP key) to something a bit easier to type than the long string of hex digits that is the default key!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Topic: Is there a page that setails available router ports?
By: didit
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 09:36 pm
Hi all
I'm sure it has been posted before somewhere, but is there a opage on the WWW that lists the available ports in a router's configuration. I have had some attempts on port 4182 and can't for the life of me find out what protocol it is supposed to be.
Thanks
Mark

By: cfraser
Posted: 17 Oct 2006 08:31 am
Mark,
Pick from the list:
[url snip] Google UK
From a quick look it seems that 4182 is the request port used by various P2P services so attempts to connect on this port are probaby legitimate services trying to identify cooperating servers.
Hope this sets your mind at rest javascript:emoticon(' Smiley')
Colin

By: purleigh
Posted: 17 Oct 2006 08:45 am
I found the following at http://www.kaboodle.org/help_faqs.html
A9: What TCP/IP ports does Kaboodle use?
Currently, Kaboodle acccepts incoming connections on UDP port 4182 and makes outgoing connections on UDP port 4183 for its Gnutella-based Partner discovery. If Zebedee is installed, Kaboodle will make use of it on TCP port 11965 (Zeebedee's default port).
A10: Can I use Kaboodle from behind a firewall or proxy server?
Kaboodle's VPN functions can be used from behind a firewall or proxy server by opening TCP ports 4182, 4183 and, optionally, 11965 if Zebedee is installed on the firewall and, if necessary, port-forwarding it to the machine running Kaboodle.

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 02:01 pm
Thanks peeps. That's the problem with a dynamic IP, you don't know who had it before you and what they did with it.
Cheers
Mark

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 03:20 pm
Hmm, turns out to have nothing to do with p2p applications. I have found on the WWW an interesting thread about using the TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor that causes a router to see it's operation as a SYN flood on a different port each time. There is no info about how to stop it happening though which is a bit of a bummer.
I use this editor in my installation of Joomla. The weird thing is that it doesn't happen with my other site which also runs Joomla, only on a FreeVirtualServers website and only in IE6    Lips are sealed Lips are sealed.
(Scratches head and walks away)
Mark
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Topic: Win2k wireless internet access via Win XP ICS is broken
By: changi
Posted: 29 Aug 2006 11:04 pm
Wireless internet access from my Windows 2000 Pro laptop used to be a breeze when I had a Netgear DM602 DSL modem connected to my network. After 2 of these stopped working for no apparent reason I got a Safecom much cheapness (TM) modem which works perfectly. However this has no firewall and no Ethernet so I have to use the USB connection to an XP Pro desktop and share the internet connection.
Problem: When my laptop is connected by Ethernet through my network switch, everything works fine. When I connect using my wireless network (Avaya 802.11b card and Avaya Acess Point), the internet connection does not work, but network browsing does (although can be very slow). If I go through the network setup wizard on the desktop machine each time, it is fixed but next time I connect it is broken again.
Very strange and very annoying. Short of buying lots of new hardware, and ideas?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Thank you James_H
For the Note I have put these up so all of the Community can benefit from the information.    Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Topic: Netgear DG834GT Modem Router Config
By: nickicke
Posted: 20 Aug 2006 10:11 am
Hi
Anyone now how to config this router to work with force9??, i can get it up and connected but it keeps dropping the connection and i have to reboot the router to get it to reconnect again...not exactly sure what some of the settings should be. Hav reverted back to my voyager 105 or now
Ta
Nick

By: kathall
Posted: 22 Aug 2006 10:11 pm
Ive got a belkin router and thatt works fine, so I'm not sure dude.

By: pcsni
Posted: 23 Aug 2006 07:43 am
Hi there,
Whats happening when it drops the connection? Does the router remain synched, does the ADSL / Link light remain green and constant?
During initial config there is an option to test your settings, below the page where you configure you username and password. When you select "Test" does the screen throw up any errors.
Additionally there is a router status tab under the maintenance options. What does that display once connected?
Rising Star

[Edit] - Flipped post Dyslexia kicking in.  Sad
Don't import any more please.

Hi James_H
I am not going to import any more, as I have said I think that the members of the Community Site would be interested in them!    Wink
the originals will be imported soon anyway.

Hmmmmmmmm I wonder will that be this year or with in the next 5 years?  Wink
James
Grafter

Technically this year is within the next five years.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Technically this year is within the next five years.

Rolls over laughing  Cheesy