cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile signals - GRRRRR

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Mobile signals - GRRRRR

Well last week I got a nice new sim card with 3GB pre-loaded on it (for free! Smiley) (based on 3 mobile)

So put it in my dual sim phone along with the tesco one.

Got down to just outside Carlisle for a short break, no signal on the 3 side, down to Carlisle and I have a 4g connection. No wifi onsite either. Didn't have my EE sim with me as the 3Gb was overkill for 6 days ...

Last time at Sunderland, I had 4G on EE and 3G on 3 both usable.

Result was no internet for me for past 6 days, most of the time. Talk about withdrawal symptoms. Being so used to just Googling for something that interested me at the time, or a quick recipe or WHY. The lack of connection was a severe shock.

Ahh well know better next time, belt & braces time.

16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Mobile signals - GRRRRR

Yes, I know the feeling,.... it`s like you have run out of fuel in your car, and the can you kept in the boot for so many years, has evaporated..... just when you needed it ... 

Ah well... have to look for those internet cafe`s, or garden centre`s with FREE wifi...  ( very useful ).. ! !

Community Veteran

I managed to get internet when I was out and about, but when back in the caravan I had no access, this is where I normally use it.
So limited to checking emails and a few web pages on the phone when sitting in the sun.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

3 don't work well with dual sim phones unless the 3 sim is set as the main Internet connection. I had this and three told me that if the phone switched that sim to 2g when using the other network then they will disconnect it (eventually) as they only offer 3 and 4g. I moved my number to asda who only do 3g but they are the next cheapest payg and unlike 3 they allow tethering. 

NowI have tesco as my main aim and Asda as the backup instead of 3.

If you have 3 as the main data sim and turn it off when using the other one you should be OK. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

shutter wrote:

it`s like you have run out of fuel in your car, and the can you kept in the boot for so many years, has evaporated..... just when you needed it ...

Huh

Buuuuuut, the can in the boot is meant to be empty, so you can hop out, wander to the nearest petrol station, fill it up, wander back & get the car going again and drive to the petrol station to fill up again... Grin

As for signals inside of the tupperware trailer, have you thought about installing an external antenna? You can usually get ones which take the signal from outside and pipe it inside (without needing to connect to a device directly) to provide a somewhat more reliable signal, even just an antenna with a stripped-back coax cable poked inside the caravan would improve things... Smiley

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

As for signals inside of the tupperware trailer, have you thought about installing an external antenna? You can usually get ones which take the signal from outside and pipe it inside (without needing to connect to a device directly) to provide a somewhat more reliable signal, even just an antenna with a stripped-back coax cable poked inside the caravan would improve things... Smiley

I may be wrong but i don't think the caravan belongs to HB and that being the case he'd have no rght to go about carving it up.

You do however touch on another fairly good idea which is to put the internet device (phone, pi with a dongle etc) in a tupperware box and put that outside somewhere where it can get a signal with the wifi turned on.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My orchard is in a Mobile phone signal shadow. It is bliss.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

The van is mine, but there was NO signal within a mile of the camp site.
WRT dual sims, I have had no issues with 3 being the main (3/4g) sim and Tesco the 2g one. (or ee as the main)
When in Sunderland I used it happily for over a week with the phone acting as a tether.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

7up wrote:

I may be wrong but i don't think the caravan belongs to HB and that being the case he'd have no rght to go about carving it up.

You do however touch on another fairly good idea which is to put the internet device (phone, pi with a dongle etc) in a tupperware box and put that outside somewhere where it can get a signal with the wifi turned on.

6mm drillbit, silicone sealant and a cable entry plate, 5 minutes work... Grin

As for things outside in tupperware, that's what a lot of boaters do on the canals & rivers, with 3G & 4G data sticks, just put 'em in a tupperware container, strap it to the top of the TV aerial pole (demoting the aerial to a lower position), USB extension cable down into the boat and there be t'internet... Smiley

Community Veteran

Amazing to think that there is already talk of bye bye GSM.

3G still has a long way to go before there is anything like the same reliable coverage as GSM.

Community Veteran

You also need a device with an external ae connection. None of mine have that. (3g dongle/3g mifi device & 4G phone) Or as has been said put it in an external box.

I also don't tend to use the same sim card (for more than a month for data anyway). EE prepaid cards are cheap on ebay and I have several to use up on holiday. This means I need easy access to the device if it is to be external.

But none of this would have helped, with the exception of a high db yagi, when there was no signal close to the site.
I normally check the "availability" checker, but didn't this time.
Community Veteran

@billnotben Yep 3g is spotty bit like dab.

I had a dab signal in the van, spotty but usable. But the adverts for "a better service", etc just make me laugh.

In this area dab is extremely poor. If I drive up the A7 I even loose good old FM, using a dab adaptor I loose the signal more than have it.

Community Veteran

I drove to Norfolk a while back listening to internet radio. The number of times i was sat driving listening to silence of 5 minutes or more was clearly indicative ot the lack of coverage that still hasn't been addressed.

HB you mention needing access to an external device... get a flag pole lol.

Community Veteran

I already have a pole for the sat dish, don't want another pole. But even putting it on the top of the pole, I would still need to have access to the box to change the sim several times a year. Then have to run a cable to power it etc.
Community Veteran

Thats why I said flag pole... you know.. where you pull a rope and things go up or down.... Wink