cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phone unlocking

Steve
Pro

Mobile phone unlocking

My friend handed me a brand new basic smart phone. It is an Alcatel pixi 4. Not a bad phone considering it's new and was free. I had to unlock it and as sceptical as I was I got it unlocked from eBay for 99p. Was I lucky?
14 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Mobile phone unlocking

@Steve As it worked you got a really good deal Smiley

At the end of the day 99p was not a lot to gamble

Steve
Pro

@nadger We are really good friends. Always doing favours for each other. Was just surprised I got it unlocked for that price. Phone has been rebooted and unlocked for a couple days so looks like the seller advertised. Permanently unlocked 99p I can't complain.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Steve wrote:
My friend handed me a brand new basic smart phone. It is an Alcatel pixi 4

Having just googled it and seen the look and specs, thats far from basic.. it's similar spec to mine. Ok it's not up there with the top end smart phones like the iphone6 etc for ram and processor but it's still a functional device that is way better than many real basic phones.

My last one was a samsung galaxy young! That was proper basic with something like android 2 installed lol. Mind you it has to be said that its GPS navigating was top dollar compared to my current Medion phone. In the past i've actually used the samsung in the car via wifi to the medion because its navigation is so much easier to use.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Was just surprised I got it unlocked for that price.

For a phone that's unlockable by code, then that's not a unusual price!. I've unlocked 2 phones in the past , a Moto G and an EE Rook, both were about that price and unlocked successfully.

Steve
Pro

Until my friend gave me the Alcatel I was using a Samsung young 2. They are great Little phones mines has a version of KitKat @7up. This Alcatel has Marshmallow. As for iphones forget it. Always used android always will. Any more phones and I'll be opening up a mobile phone shop must have about five kickin about.
Community Veteran

Despite mine only being a 3G (I suspect yours is too?) they are great basic smarties lol. I'd get a GPS fix very quickly with it yet my medion is a bit slow.. and then it sees me wondering off the road across fields sometimes where the samsung will keep me glued on the tarmac.

The samsung was also a great little media player too. Very small, minimal battery usage and it could go on for hours. When I got the medion I ended up using the samsung literally to backup my contacts to via bluetooth (and awesomely the contact avatars are sent too). The only snag is the battery started to swell up and is now completely knackered and unusable. I'll have to get another at some point. Great little emergency backup phone though!

Steve
Pro

My Samsung Galaxy Young 2 network data was GSM/HSPA @7up. I thought the Alcatel my friend kindly gave me had 4G but its only 3G I think. Some pretty sweet features you ' might ' not find in other phones. Like setting times to switch it both on and off all by itself. Now that is smart. Not as smart as not shelling out £600 to 1,000 quid on a  phone that wont do much better. Better camera perhaps and smoother experience. but not much else.

Community Veteran

3/4G... still fast in my opinion lol. I was out today (rare event) and my 4G dropped to 3 and I didn't even notice much difference to be honest. The connection an only carry the data as quickly as the server at the other end can supply it anyway. If that website is written inefficiently then it can be quite a slow site on all connections no matter how quick their speed is.

The scheduled times on/off thing is a neat idea but i've never used it purely for the fact that i prefer my phone to be immediately available in case of emergency at night (eg needing to ring ambulance for the little one, partner or me). I've had several ambulance call outs at night over the last few years so know the importance of being able to grab a phone quickly.

Android is a great OS. Gets a bit sluggish sometimes (mind you I have got tons of stuff running on mine lol) but it's a decent enough system that does a good job for a cheaper price than IOS which is heavily locked down costs a gold bar.

Steve
Pro

@7up You probably already know this but you can't rely on mobile phone signal for emergencies. Do you not have a landline for that?

Community Veteran

Yes without a doubt but its better than no phone at all right?

Yes we have a landline but thats out on the base station charger thing. Mobiles tend to be much closer.

Mine is also dual sim just in case one network isn't available Cool smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just remember that when you dial an emergency number on a mobile, if your home network is not available, it'll use any available mobile network to route the call...

Community Veteran

To be fair i'd forgotten about that. Still the extra connection is still useful for other daily stuff.. regardless of emergency calls eg if the signal is low but the other network is better.

Steve
Pro

I didn't even know about that @twocvbloke. You learn something new everyday.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

To add to it, even a phone without a SIM card will make emergency calls, it's all part of an agreement by manufacturers and network providers around the world to provide emergency services regardless of who the phone is connected to... Smiley