Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phone scam?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mobile phone scam?

Well, I'm not sure it is...
Yesterday morning, my mobile rang (rare enough on a Saturday) I was immediately assailed by a torrent of invective f'ing and blinding, from some guy who was straining to tell me that he doesn't owe me £5000, my number has been passed onto the police, he was extremely difficult to make a lot of sense of but, I gather my number was on his screen (phone screen I guess, although he didn't say) my number had been "attached" to a document (he didn't say letter, email or text) with some kind of demand for money, which judging by this time he was disputing he owed, he went off again repeating my number had been passed to the police and rang off.
On my phone the call came up as "number withheld"
I called Vodafone (my account provider) who was able to trace the call and get the inbound number (but wouldn't give it to me) he was also able to accurately monitor my account to prove there was no activity recently that might be construed as anything to do with this, neither had I been charged for the call, I was thinking it might be some very clever reverse scam that would have me charged some enormous amount for simply answering the call.
Vodafone suggested that if the police did get involved their first port of call would be Vodafone to check for any activity on my account, they would be happy to point out there was nothing for them to investigate. So OK, general opinion was that some kind of error has occurred, but what I want to know is how my number has some how been included with a demand for money with (I gather) menaces.
Anybody else experienced anything like this?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Mobile phone scam?

I once had someone call me up and ask for "Jim". It turned out to be a wrong number. I too thought that it must be some sort of scam, perhaps linked to terrorism and the criminal underworld. I don't have that phone number anymore because I lost the phone when I was buying a print at a car boot sale. It's probably Al Quaeda.
pd
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew

.... but what I want to know is how my number has some how been included with a demand for money with (I gather) menaces.

Maybe the guy who called you mis-dialled
techguy
Grafter

Its more than likely a wrong number, I really wouldn't worry yourself, I occasionally get them (think my number must be similar to a cabbie in MK as it always seems to be cabbies)  Smiley
Community Veteran

That sounds like a wind up to me. Did you actually converse with this person or was it just a constant tirade, where you couldn't get a word in edgewise.
Community Veteran

Well you've done all you can at this stage in notifying your provider.  It's worth keeping a check online at your usage for a few weeks though, just in case.
techguy
Grafter

I thought these mobile scams revolved around reverse billed SMS (text messages) and the stuff about getting charged £150 when you answer a call was a myth.
To be honest I don't trust these mails that get sent round about scams as they usually only exist to push up mail traffic, or social engineering as its known
Fixes: 105

I had someone ring me on Friday and their opening statement tell me they had a pig for me.
It was a bit hard work, but eventually discovered this guy thought I was a butcher.
Your sounds as much as miss-dial as this Petlew
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

As others have said, I suspect this was someone misdialling, maybe under the influence of drink or drugs.
You did the right thing by phoning Voda - in my 17 years with them - I generally found their customer service reasonable and they have sorted similar things out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thanks for your comments guy's.
@santiago: yes, I was able when I could get a word in edgewise to speak to him...but he wasn't really taking a lot of notice of my point of view.
@ those who've asked, no it wasn't a wrong number for him, Vodafone confirmed that he used the number he had (mine) on a screen to auto call back and not physically dialled it.
All very odd.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
techguy
Grafter

Spoofed perhaps?
StickyMick
Grafter

Sure it wasn't one of your mates playing silly buggas?
I've had a few calls where someone fired off into a rant, and when I did get a word in to explain that I think they've got the wrong number, they've hung up without an apology. I even had one from some girl ranting about her boyfriend carrying on with her sister, apparently I was supposed to be him, until I told her to double check the number she'd dialed. Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My home phone number has the same digits as the local registry office, just with two number reversed, lucky only get about one call a month, most Birth and flustered dads
techguy
Grafter

our old number was one digit away from the adult education centre.

"Is that the adult education centre?"
"No"
" Do you have the number?"
"no but I do have a number for you, 192 (before you had 100+ directory enquiry providers), bye"