cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phone advice

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mobile phone advice

This seems a good place to start, I’m a luddite when it comes to mobile phones, my current mobile phone is a PAYG £4.95 effort from Nokia that gets £10 airtime added every couple of years. Had no requirement until now
I’ll be living away for a month or so and require some form of communications. The house we’ve been offered has very patchy/non existent 2G coverage, but has WiFi.
So a mobile phone that
a) will take my current skype account via WiFi (voice only, video not a requirement)
b) will allow minimal internet surfing via WiFi
c) Select WiFi over 2G and 3G when available.
d) Unlocked
The phone will probably be ‘chucked’ in a draw when we return home, so cost is relevant.
Was advised by a lass at Carphone that the Samsung Galaxy Y would be suitable.
I need a second opinion, any thoughts would be appreciated
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Mobile phone advice

I don't know the Galaxy Y model but I do have a Galaxy S2 which is an excellent phone.  Does all I want.  Voted phone of the year last year.
Community Veteran

Why not buy something second-hand? I have a HTC Desire which should meet all your requirements and you can pick them up quite cheaply now.
Bob
Community Veteran

Worth checking on eBay.
Community Veteran

If you give us some idea of your max spend for the chuck in a draw phone it will help narrow down the choice.
Quote from: artmo
I don't know the Galaxy Y model but I do have a Galaxy S2 which is an excellent phone.

Yes the S2 is a great phone, got one myself, but they are a bit pricey for a phone that's going to end up in the back of a drawer.
Community Veteran

Have you updated it to ice cream sandwich yet?
Community Veteran

billnotben:- good question. Carphone are quoting an 'unlocked' Galaxy Y at £60 which is well within budget. Max spend say £120.
Swmbo needs to 'stay' in contact with ailing relative.
Thinking about it, doesn't really have to be 'unlocked' as will hardly every be used in network range, but will need "international roaming"
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you want it unlocked.  When abroad, get a sim from there, its a lot cheaper than the UK sim and also, you UK sim might not work there.
Tesco have some cheap unlocked ones, about £20 at the moment, they were only £9.50 when I got one,  I have several network sims.  Where I am at the moment  no O2 signal, my next trip no 3 signal,  you can get the sims for £1 and top them up with a small amount
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Carphone are quoting an 'unlocked' Galaxy Y at £60

Not on their website , they're not!, its £129.95 for a SIM free ( i.e unlocked ) phone. Its between £59.95 and £79.95 (dependent on network)  for a PAYG phone.
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/choose-tariff/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-Y/HANDSET
Edit:
The house we’ve been offered has very patchy/non existent 2G coverage, but has WiFi.

If the house has WIFI Have you thought about using a PlusNet PAYG voip account from a laptop/netbook ?

Community Veteran

Quote from: MisterW
If the house has WIFI Have you thought about using a PlusNet PAYG voip account from a laptop/netbook ?

@MisterW:- Thanks, does it matter if the ISP is not Plusnet for PlusNet PAYG voip account ?
Re: Carphone, your correct in that
Its between £59.95 and £79.95 (dependent on network)  for a PAYG phone
., but the phone delivered is not tied to a network, it just has a network SIM that can be switched.
Since discovered the Galaxy Y is not really powerful enough to run Skype. Hadn't planned on taking a laptop, but maybe the most cost effective option.
Community Veteran

Also be careful about buying cheap mobile phones from supermarkets.  Depending where you want to use them abroad they may not work.  Really needs to be tri-band to guarantee working in the US.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can do the top ups from £5 upwards, checked today
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

but the phone delivered is not tied to a network

Are you sure about that?. Normally PAYG phones bought with a network SIM are locked to that network. If you go that way , make sure you get confirmation that is not locked to a network.
Thanks, does it matter if the ISP is not Plusnet for PlusNet PAYG voip account ?

No, you can connect to your PlusNet voip account from anywhere. I regularly use mine from hotels etc when away on business. I even use it when I'm on holiday in Portugal.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
ice cream sandwich yet?

No not yet. I take it you have? Did it make much difference?
This is quite a good site to see what people think about their phones.
http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/
Community Veteran

No i haven't upgraded mine to Ice cream sandwich yet.  I have to send my phone back to Samsung for a minor repair and they are going to upgrade it for me.  They are also going to unlock the phone for me.
Anyone else upgraded to ICS yet?