Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile broadband

community
Grafter

Mobile broadband

I have a simple question.
I want to be able to surf the internet from a mobile, to supplement my PC when I haven't got access to my PC (on holiday e.g.)
which mobile phone has this available, probably only iPhones? (I am new to this)
I would like to have some recommendation for which phones to buy,please.
I object to long contracts.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Mobile broadband

There are a number of mobile phones that can do this, made by companies such as Apple (of course), Motorola, Palm, HTC and Nokia. These are all smartphones, so surfing the internet is just one of many features the phones will have… is there anything else you would want to achieve with the phone (aside from phone calls of course)? That might help us point you to a particularly suitable model or brand.
Fixes: 104

Lots and lots of phones have this, I was using the internet on my Nokia long before the iPhone hit the shelves.
Would you be holidaying in this country or abroad? Data rates whilst abroad are extortionate.
I have a phone with Android on - which is a phone OS built by Google based on Linux. It works well.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: adiewoo
Lots and lots of phones have this, I was using the internet on my Nokia long before the iPhone hit the shelves.

As was I, but I suspect what community wants is something fairly akin to desktop browsing (in terms of speed, features, ease of use etc.) – up until three years ago the internet on mobile phones was really just an ‘if needs must’ affair. So I think we should be focussing on smartphones, as they will actually provide a decent browsing experience, rather than simply any phone that can connect to the internet.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

T-Mobile MDA Vario III will do what you want, I have one but I am using Virgin Mobile on it.
community
Grafter

Wow, thanks for your prompt replies guys!
At the moment it looks like "smartphones" are the way to go....but I need to read up about these!
Keep it coming please
Mostly for use in UK but occasionally in europe  but not essential as I can always get the use of a cybernet booth in the  hotel we usually use.
Addnan
Grafter

I would have said go for iphone, but it looks like there isn't going to be flash on it ever. Apple seem to not like it.
I am not sure which phones have it, but there should be some smartphones that have flash, or going to get it.
Community Veteran

I'd recommend the iPhone too; it's great for web-browsing (despite the lack of Flash – Flash just annoys me anyway). It can be purchased on pay-as-you-go (i.e. no contract) from O2, Orange or Tesco, although I personally would vote for O2. It's not a cheap phone though – the cheapest model is about £340. What you could then do is, if you don't want to actually use Pay & Go, you could sign up to O2 Simplicity which is their SIM-free 1-month no-minimum-term contract. For example, for £20/month you could get something like 600 minutes a month, 1000 texts, and unlimited data.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Mostly for use in UK but occasionally in europe

Be VERY careful of data charges when roaming out of the UK, they can be extremely expensive. I believe the EU are trying to impose caps on data charges similar to the ones imposed a year or so ago on voice calls, but AFAIK they haven't actually done it yet.