cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile banking... (revisted)

Fixes: 125

Mobile banking... (revisted)

A search showed this was last mentioned in it's own thread back in 2011.
I've always shied away from using it but have found it a bit of a pain carrying the card reader with me when out (no handbag and never wear a jacket). My daughter used her NatWest app when out with me a couple of weeks ago to transfer £20 she owed (that was a shock in itself) and it was quick and easy.
I've downloaded the Barclays app (from a link they sent) and it installed OK. After the initial activation process which used the PinSentry reader a 5 digit passcode is set up and that is all that is required. There are limits to what can be done - you can only make payments to people already on your list, for example.
Since Friday it has been a very quick way of checking for payments received/sent as well as transferring between accounts but I am concerned over security. I'll only use it over my mobile suppliers network when away from home and never from free/open wi-fi. It did nag me a few times to install some security software on the phone but I turned that off. I couldn't find anything in the T^C that says you are not covered for fraudulent use if you don't have security software installed. My phone is only ever with me and I never lend it to anyone so just wondered what are the security implications of these mobile banking apps today?
Does anyone still use them - what security measures do you have in place?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Mobile banking... (revisted)

Having said what I did back then I now have the TSB app on my phone.
However I won't use it on a public Wi-Fi and it rarely gets used anyway.
I have Avast installed on my phone but wouldn't expect it to offer much in the way of protection for online banking.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Haven't used them (bank apps), but I do have Hornet AV and Malware bytes apps installed on my Android devices.
Fixes: 104

I use the TSB app, have a VPN if I'm out and about also Malwarebytes anti-malware installed.
Also very picky about which apps I install...
Will Moderate For Thanks
PowerLee
Rising Star

I use the Halifax mobile app,
I use it all the time either on my own home wifi or over the mobile data network, I would never use it on a public / unsecured wifi network.
The app seems secure with 2 step log in process & other built in secure measures if you try & set up a new payment option.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I use the RBS app, however it can be frustrating sometimes and not always up to scratch.
Very basic and can check balances, transfer money and get emergency cash etc...
I'd only use it on my home internet connection or on my cellular connection and have used it in StarBucks WiFi and didn't have any problems.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Fixes: 125

I had to give my daughter a stern talking to yesterday as she was trying to use her NatWest app to pay me back but had a little trouble till she realised she was connected to a local Wi-Fi network. Thankfully it seems she needed a password which, obviously, she didn't know. I told her to turn of Wi-Fi when trying to use any banking apps when out. I do hope that sank in as security seems to be the last thing on a 19-year-old's mind Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My daughter who is 20 uses the RBS app as well, but guess what! She uses it on the Uni WiFi (god knows how many hackers there will be on there)
They'll never listen
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up