Mobile Phones

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mobile Phones

26 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Mobile Phones

Why is it anti social behaviour? If the phone user speak at the same level as passengers having a conversation what is the difference? I believe other passengers get irritated as they can only hear one side of the conversation.
annerimmington
Grafter

I think chatting on mobile phones in confined areas where there are other people is SO anti-social .............for me it`s akin to chalk on a blackboard - most of the conversations you are privy to are so inane "I`m on the bus/train........where are you ?"  Last week I was sat in front of a very loud Asian woman who jabbered non-stop to someone ([probably in India) by the volume for what must have been 30 minutes.  Just as the rest of the bus breathed a sigh of relief, she phoned someone else and proceeded to have an argument with them.    A man sitting in front of me had obviously had enough and confronted her to either turn the volume down so the rest of the bus did not have to listen to her or conduct her calls in private...........good for him Smiley  (The woman did comply and we passengers were able to enjoy our journey in relative peace.
itsme
Grafter

So would you tell a couple having a similar conversations at the same volume to shut-up?
Still believe that the main problem with others using phones, either mobile or landline, is that others in the immediately area out of politeness believe they have to be quiet and they can only hear one half of the conversation.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Friend of mine commutes by train uses one of these:-
http://www.alimall.co.uk/electronics-led/security-surveillance/mobile-phone-signal-jammers.html
Recons it works within an 8 meter radius. Not sure of the legalities of using it in the UK though.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Completely illegal, and as posted in other places, it can stop essential services calls.
Much as I hate the idiots who walk down the other side of the road and I can hear every word they shout into that box.  I have been known to ask them if the other person can hear then if the switch their phone off.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

itsme
Grafter

Yes I do get irritated by some phone users, normally businessmen in airports. These tend to the ones that shout down the phone and in the most public areas. Or users using their phone at an inappropriate time like when being served in a shop.
But sometimes I do question why I should get irritated when the user of the phone is speaking at or below normal conversational levels.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: itsme
So would you tell a couple having a similar conversations at the same volume to shut-up?

It's been my experience that bus passengers speak louder on a mobile phone than they do in personal conversation with a fellow passenger.
I have two suggested reasons for this.
1) Because of the noise of the bus they have to raise their voice so the other person can hear them.
2) They temporarily forget where they are and speak as the normally do on a phone...e.g loudly.
I have a friend who, when on a telephone, all other conversation in the office stops as he drowns them out.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat

It's been my experience that bus passengers speak louder on a mobile phone than they do in personal conversation with a fellow passenger.

Very true that is. I used to use the trains quite frequently years ago and also noticed the same thing.
@itsme there is a difference between asking someone to shut up and keeping the volume down. I think most would take offence and go on the attack if told to shut it but being asked to turn it down a bit is within reason IMO.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

Happened to me once, though not a couple.  Myself and a friend were on a long bus ride, Newquay I think it was, and we were just chatting away about anything and everything, not loudly mind you.  This grumpy guy got on the bus and sat down in front of us and we continued chatting, I was slouched down so looked small and the guy basically told us to shut up, grumpy git.  We shut up for about 2 minutes then started chatting again.  Now the funny part.  We got to Newquay and the grumpy guy seemed like he wanted to make an issue of it, I wasn't watching (my back was to him) as I stood up to my full height (6'1) but my friend described the look on his face as he realised that I'd been slouching down in the seat and wasn't actually a tiny person.  This kindly looking old lady who was sitting across from us was smiling though, so I think she found it funny too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd imagine they would be illegal in the UK. I remember the in car MP3 players which transmit over FM being illegal too (as to transmit on FM you technically needed a license) and it was only a few years ago they were allowed.
Recently on the train home though, I don't seem to get the conversations as much, just people texting all the time with their keypad tones on (thanks Apple for having the option on by default on an iPhone!).
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I once sat in a packed train when a fellow sitting opposite was pleading with his girlfriend to be un-dumped. I cannot imagine the mentality of someone willing to have that sort of a conversation within earshot of anyone else.
I recall another occasion being on a train when a posh elderly chap nearby went down a few seats to tell a young woman that he didn't want to sit listening to her phone conversation. I was sitting the same distance away from her and she was not speaking more loudly than she would have been to a companion . When the train conductor came round the chap then had a lengthy conversation with him in a far louder voice than the "offending" lady. I gathered that the self-important gent was a lawyer.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Want to know a secret ?
When the Royals are out and about, there used to be a Special Branch / Royal Protection Officer with a discrete box .......... which blocked nearby mobile phones, as a security measure.
Sssssh, don't tell anyone.
itsme
Grafter

and it will block the security personal phones as well, so would you think they would do this? Also what happen when the Royals visit hospitals?