Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phones !

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mobile Phones !

I want my mobile phones to Talk & Text, that is all.
I have other means of accessing the Internet etc.
My older basic mobiles, the main advantage is battery life, most give me around 300 hours on standby, or well over a day if used for conversations.
They are all tri-band or quad-band for travelling abroad, apart from Japan !!!
I have tried a more modern "fancy" phone, and also a Smartphone, but both basically remain plugged into their chargers, (for ease of charging, the charger being off most of the time, and only on during daytime) as their battery life is less than a day on standby, not helped by a poor signal when at home in Derbyshire, so the phones are always hunting for a signal, depleting the battery.
Less of a problem though when visiting Cities.
I see there is now a trend towards the older style retro phones, the main advantage being the longer battery life compared to modern Smartphones.
More rugged too....
Smartphones.... a muggers delight. They light up your face quite brightly when used in dark places !! (NickMe NickMe app)
I still have an old Nokia, that just sits there, ready to make calls on a certain network, for a specific purpose, that I charge once a fortnight !!
And also, an older Motorola, that I use exclusively for texts, as it will automatically resend texts until actually sent, and delivered, [ again down to poor signal strength at home] something I haven't found in any modern phones, unless you know different of course.
It's pointless to have to keep manually sending a text.
I do use Web texting quite a lot . Though with less feedback than using a phone I find.
(I wish I'd kept all my old mobiles now, they tend to be recycled when new ones arrive, lesson learnt)
And amazingly enough, I can still get replacement batteries for the older phones, they seem to last 2-3 years.

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Mobile Phones !

I still have my old SE W995 which in some ways is still better than my so called smart phone.
Fits in the hand and a joy to actually phone with. Easier to use as it has separate dedicated buttons for music and its 8meg camera.
And it does one thing that android phones still struggle to do. With a simple menu selection both sides of a phone conversation can be recorded in crystal clear clarity.
Now why do I mainly use my smart phone? Could it be to play games when I'm sat in my car getting bored?
Fixes: 124

Problem I see with many smart phones is the screen sizes getting larger. I went for the Galaxy 4 mini. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of its bigger brother but is easier to hold and does fit in my trouser pocket.
I don't use it much for either texts or calls (I have unlimited for both) but I do use the internet a fair bit when out and then there are the games... A great Scrabble game plus a few other word games, Cribbage and Sudoku. Then there are a few apps that are usefiul like a compass, maps and spirit level. I also use the alarm feature regularly. It also have all my OU books installed so I can catch up when waiting for SWMBO in the shops and I have forgotten my Nook.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I have a new Nokia Lumia windows phone to replace my ageing Nokia 5800 (which I was given by my brother in law 4 years ago).
My requirement were that it had to be cheap and have a decent satnav built in. I managed to grab a contract which was (after cashback) £6 a month with the phone for "free", unlimited texts, 250Mb data  and 500 minutes of talk time a month.
It seems to do the job - I'm not really into mobile phones and texting so still have 500 minutes of talk time and 243MB of data left with 10 days until it is all reset again  Grin
PowerLee
Rising Star

@ DomS - Window's phone 8.1 is coming end of June so you should get a nice update for your Lumia.
How do you find the Nokia Lumia / Windows phone to use as im tempted to join the Windows phone dark side.
Community Veteran

I find it "adequate" although contact management is a pain and trying to find a phone number to call someone is nigh on impossible unless you know exactly where to look.
It feels snappy enough, the available apps seem a bit on the sparse side compared to Android and Apple and watch out for the date / time bug !
Occasionally the phone will lose its time and date and reset to sometime in 2013 at which point any new texts or other messages will be received but mysteriously disappear ! On further investigation they end up at the start of a conversation rather than the end. The solution is to not use the automatic time/date and just manually set these.
I have the WP8 SDK here so I can write my own applications (which really appealed) but I haven't had the time to have a play with it yet.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Still have my Nokia 3510i
Read on the Mail the other day they are now fetching a few hundred quid  Shocked
Would be lucky to get £20 quid for mine hahaha lol!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up