Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mobile Phones in Cars.

Crashes involving a mobile have risen by 20 per cent in the last three years
Fatalities in which mobiles have played a part have risen by five in a year
The RAC says mobile phone should be as 'unacceptable as drink-driving'
Using a phone behind the wheel lands driver three points and a £100 fine

Personally I think the penalties are not tough enough.
So often seen these days
(Where are all the unmarked Police Cars ?)
I find even using Bluetoothed system with speaker in the Car is distracting, whilst driving, especially if you have to recall facts.
So I stop the call, and resume later...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2773028/Crashes-blamed-using-mobile-rise-20-just-three-years...
24 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Mobile Phones in Cars.

There is a clear message for all those who are guilty of driving whilst under the influence of a mobile phone
STOP USING the PHONE whilst DRIVING
I never answer a call or text or make calls or texts whilst driving, if the call is important, they can either wait for me to stop in a suitable place & call them back or they can simply call me again
Infinity
Pro

I think a suitable additional punishment would be to confiscate Phone & Car for a period, of say one month, if caught using a Handheld Mobile Phone whilst Driving.
Or until the case comes to Court, which of course may be much longer.
And..... more unmarked Police Cars.
TORPC
Grafter

Yep that sounds like a viable plan / option(s)
I know from reading the boards, that some will not aptly state, things like
Why don't they train them to use the phone whilst driving like the police do.
In their cases the article speaks volumes, & the reasons for not doing so are irrefutable
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: PlusComUK
I find even using Bluetoothed system with speaker in the Car is distracting, whilst driving, especially if you have to recall facts.

Ditto (except the stopping bit. On the rare occassion i am driving and get a call, i won't answer unless i have the BT ear piece. If I have that i'll either make it as fast as possible or stop the car or call and deal with them when safe.
I dislike using it while driving, it's too distracting. At the same time, so is talking to passengers - and trust me as a former cab driver, I SHOULD KNOW!
Talking to passengers while driving is dangerous too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: 7up

Ditto (except the stopping bit. On the rare occassion i am driving and get a call, i won't answer unless i have the BT ear piece. If I have that i'll either make it as fast as possible or stop the car or call and deal with them when safe.

The Phone is Bluetoothed through the radio, so when an incoming call presents itself, the Radio is bypassed, until the call is dropped.
I always answer, just in case it's Family, then politely decline if it's not.
If it is, it's no problem to say " please wait a minute whilst I stop the car safely"
I can have multiple Bluetoothed phones enabled at the same time.
It is nice to not need to remove the phones from Jacket pockets.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It is nice to not need to remove the phones from Jacket pockets.

See I wouldn't even bother trying if i didn't have bluetooth. If the phone rings in my pocket then in my pocket it stays.
My partners phone has BT but she has no earpiece / BT stereo. Her phone lives in her handbag and it stays there if she's driving. She's very realistic when it comes to driving safely.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Must be one of the most widely ignored of all motoring laws.
I mentioned it here...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131838.msg1150721.html#msg1150721
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131838.msg1151274.html#msg1151274
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Quote from: 7up
If the phone rings in my pocket then in my pocket it stays.

My phone lives in my jeans front pocket and is practically impossible to remove while seated in the car so I don't even try.
itsme
Grafter

There are a few drivers that believe stopping the car to take or make a call is not breaking the law, wrong if the engine is running it can also be against the law. To make sure that you are not breaking the law you need to think about parking the car not just stopping the car.

When you can use a phone in your vehicle
If you’re the driver, you can only use your phone in a vehicle if you:
1:  need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop
2:  are safely parked
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: itsme
There are a few drivers that believe stopping the car to take or make a call is not breaking the law, wrong if the engine is running it can also be against the law. To make sure that you are not breaking the law you need to think about parking the car not just stopping the car.

Agreed, but here's the quandary...
If I stop the Hybrid, by using the brake pedal, the Engine actually stops running, until I lift my foot off the brake pedal !!
I keep meaning to ask a Policeman.
However, this doesn't really relate to myself, as mentioned above, Bluetoothed.
And if it is Family, and I want to speak to them, as above, I actually park / stop the car and switch off the engine.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I have no problem controlling the car while using a mobile phone at 70mph on the M1. Voice calls and texting are not distracting.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

erm... forgot to mention ... as a passenger of course.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
My phone lives in my jeans front pocket and is practically impossible to remove while seated in the car so I don't even try.

Mine stays in the glove compartment - permanently, it's only there for emergency purposes. Upgraded recently to a Nokia 49 pence model c/o CPW, Home, office and local pub don't have mobile coverage Sad