cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone help, please

Fixes: 125

Mobile Phone help, please

My dad, who is 90 and in hospital for while would like a mobile phone to keep in touch as my mum can't get to visit as often as she'd like due to ill-health
He really needs large buttons, doesn't want anything complicated and wouldn't use texting or any of the other facilities. He'd need a phone where he could easily turn on the speaker to aid hearing.
Does anyone have any suggestion, please?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Mobile Phone help, please

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Mav try
http://www.matobmobile.co.uk/index.php?id=amplicom_m5000_mobile_phone_for_hard_of_hearing.
Was looking at them for MIL, havn't gone any futher than looking.
posted as Oldjim posted.........snap....same model
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

journey's link also included a Binatone in the right side of the window. My wife (disabled) has had one of these for years and found it excellent. Very basic, ear piece volume can be very loud if required, very easy to handle as is quite a lot bigger than most modern phones. 3 one-touch memory buttons very useful for those very important numbers, includes an aide-memoir on the back of the phone to show which number is allocated to which button, but also has the usual phonebook if required.
Only problem with it I've found is that I have not been able to locate a spare battery for it should the installed one finally die, either online or contacting Binatone. However after being charged many many times the battery supplied shows no sign of fatigue.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you should also check which networks are working inside the ward, some can be a bit flacky.
Try Tesco, they carry quiet a range and on different networks, got one for SWMBO - Nokia for about £30 on PAYG.
I have several cheap ones on different networks, where my Mum used to live orange OK, O2 no signal,  again near me in the middle of a small town at a pub, no signal

Thanks for the replies.
A Google search had brought up the site suggested but it's great to have your views/reviews, too.
The desktop charger suplied with both the Amplicom and the Binatone is good as dad will find plugging it in to charge very difficult at present.
The aide-memoire with the Binatone is a good idea as dad's memory is not so good.
Also, he hasn't used a phone for a number of years so ease of use is very important.
Couldn't see anything in Tesco's site but perhaps popping into the local 'Extra' branch might be worthwhile as with Carphonewarehouse.
Bit worried about which supplier is best. I am with T-Mobile and the signal is pretty poor from within the ward. My wife is with Virgin so I'll check hers tomorrow. Don't want to buy a SIM just to find it's useless!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

The Binatone is SIM free. my wife's is on Vodafone PAYG. user doesn't have to be involved in keeping topped up, you can do it from many bank ATM's.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
thisoldman
Grafter

mav    check out the rnid web site  rnid org uk
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I would also check with the hospital about use of mobiles in the wards. I know my local doesn't allow them (lots of Switch OFF Mobile signs)
Community Veteran

This is not universal though. In Watford General (stroke unit) the signs have been removed (or they were a bit over 18 months ago) most sensitive kit in wards is screened these days and is not upset by mobile phone use. My wife used hers quite regularly in front of staff, with no complaints. She wasn't the only one either.

David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: Mav
Bit worried about which supplier is best. I am with T-Mobile and the signal is pretty poor from within the ward. My wife is with Virgin so I'll check hers tomorrow. Don't want to buy a SIM just to find it's useless!

It'll be the same, Virgin is a virtual provider who piggyback on T-Mobile's network so if you can't get a T-Mobile signal, you can't get a Virgin signal.
I bought a phone for my mother (arrives today) on Vodafone, £10 a month for 75 minutes.  It's touch screen so ideally the dial buttons will take up the whole screen resulting in large buttons, it also has a slide out keyboard so I may end up using it more than her Cheesy

Quote from: Hairy
I would also check with the hospital about use of mobiles in the wards. I know my local doesn't allow them (lots of Switch OFF Mobile signs)

It was the nusres who suggested that we get him a mobile as there is no phone available for patients on the ward.

I think I will probably settle for the Binatone above. A Vodaphone SIM seems best.
Cheers all Smiley

Fixes: 47

Quote from: Mav
It was the nusres who suggested that we get him a mobile as there is no phone available for patients on the ward.

I was told by a hospital Consultant 5 years ago that mobile phones have no effect on hospital equipment and they use them regularly in theatre amongst other places. Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

On O2 PAYG you get 500 mins for free from your registered home location for £10 per month, which you can use for texting or internet, and you can change your home location after a month, so if he is long term in hospital and can get O2 that will be a lot cheaper, and when he comes out switch it to your home,  My one has a range of about 2 miles as home
Community Veteran

Another particularly good deal with O2 is their O2 Family bolt-on. One person (pay monthly or pay-as-you-go) pays £7.50 a month, and for that money a total of five designated O2 users get completely unlimited calls and texts between each other.