Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone companies to merge

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Mobile Phone companies to merge

Here is the news linky
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iLWzIXHRPaFkN982yKm3-mSpWJVA
It is about the major players in the UK mobile phone market merging into one big operation taking about 37% of the market.....
they say it will be of benefit to the customers....... OH Yeah? 
Less competition, = less choice  = higher priced phone calls ?Huh
20 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Mobile Phone companies to merge

Not necessarily.
They're still have to compete with Vodafone and O2 and whoever else is left.  Given the mobile comms market is also under scrutiny, it would be ill advised to try and push their monopoly.
You saw what happened to Telefonica.
Community Veteran

I wonder if it will get past the competition authorities.
James
Grafter

CPW-TalkTalk-AOL-Tiscali-Pipex-Freedom2surf-Nildram-andsomeothersiveprobablyforgotten did, so I would have thought so unless there's something amiss.
Community Veteran

Interesting - but as James says - there are others - and in addition to Voda, O2  - there are the dedicated 3G operators like 3
Community Veteran

Orange, T-Mobile, O2, Vodafone and 3 are the only 'true' mobile operators though - the rest are just MVNOs.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
CPW-TalkTalk-AOL-Tiscali-Pipex-Freedom2surf-Nildram-andsomeothersiveprobablyforgotten did, so I would have thought so unless there's something amiss.

various figures have been put around as high as 40% of the market for the new combination.  I don't think CPW etc have that sort of market penetration.
Kazbah
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
Here is the news linky
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iLWzIXHRPaFkN982yKm3-mSpWJVA
It is about the major players in the UK mobile phone market merging into one big operation taking about 37% of the market.....
they say it will be of benefit to the customers....... OH Yeah? 
Less competition, = less choice  = higher priced phone calls ?Huh

Probably and a much higher contract price too, how else they going to reclaim their £600-£800 billionHuh
Well, i for one certainly hope this merge doesn't go ahead, i think its a disgrace. Orange where i live are completely astonishingly rubbish, signal is soooo poor its not worth using. I have bneen with T-Mobile for almost 6 years and I will be sorry to see them go. Signal may not be great where i live but its far better than Orange or No-range as I call them. I hate Orange with a passion and if it goes ahead I will cancel BOTH my contracts and go to O2 coz to be honest im not keen on Voda either. I reckon for a start there'll be a price hike and these competitive packages that T-Mobile have brought out lately (one of which I am on) will go down the pan. It won't be competitive or good, It'll be Orange and it'll be absolute rubbish. I so hope it flops BIG STYLE
Fixes: 102

I'll be leaving T too if it does go through, likewise can't stand orange.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Euge
Grafter

A spokeswoman confirmed there would be "efficiencies" that could be made across both businesses, including networks and IT, marketing and advertising, but said it was too early to give details of any impact on staff.
Orange employs 12,500 in the UK, while T-Mobile has a 6,500-strong UK workforce.

Some staff are going to get laid off  Undecided
Interested
Grafter

My experience of signal strength (indirectly) T-Mobile across the country is usually either very good or poor/zero with very little intermediate strength.
Previous work colleagues who travelled the UK said Orange was very good coverage in some areas but intermediate signal strenth was rare also.
I won't use vodaphone as i found them too expensive in the past and customer service poor.
Community Veteran

I heard the CEO of Orange on the radio earlier discussing "back office economies of scale in the combined company that will benefit the customer and sharehoders"
meaning reducing the number of people.
Community Veteran

I heard it is the CEO of Orange that will lead the new company.  T Mobile were good for one thing only - getting a good price to take to another supplier to match.
I'm with O2 and very pleased with them.  Great coverage and a good tariff.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Don't for get all the shops that will close.
[Edil]
I'm with T Mobile and Vergin Mobile, both are on the same network.
johpal
Grafter

If the companies do merge, may I suggest they move head office to Yorkshire and call themselves "T'Orange"?  Cheesy