Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone Unlocking

Community Veteran

Re: Mobile Phone Unlocking

Wow I bet that was a shock!
itsme
Grafter

Yes it was, no fatalities but same horrific injuries.
Did not put them of coach travel, believe they have been back twice to the USA covering many miles by coach. As they are at an age where medical travel insurance is not offered or cost more money than the holiday they limit their holidays to Europe now. At least in Europe the coaches have seat belts. If the Americian coach had them fitted the injuries would have been far less.
Community Veteran

Glad all is well.
Europe, of course, is much more civilised in many ways.
Community Veteran

I'd always assumed that all you had to do was produce your UK travel policy and all would be well.  It seems to vary depending on where you are.  Just spoken to a friend who was hospitalized last year in Pasadena and all that happened was the hospital phoned his insurer in the UK for approval to proceed.  The insurer then spoke to the hospital each day to renew their approval.  This is no different really to going  into a private hospital in the UK. 
Community Veteran

I had also assumed that too. I produced the insurance policy details and asked them to call the insurance company. They simply said they wouldn't do that. At that point I had given up, and just wanted treatment.
Needless to say they was a major row with the insurers when I got back. Interestingly the tapes of the calls I had made to them while in the US seeking advice, were "missing"
Point is what is says on the policy may be different to how it works in practice depending on where you are.
Community Veteran

They may have the best health care in the world but they certainly make you jump through hoops to get it.  In the past few weeks since I've been here there has been a major row in the newspapers because many primary care doctors and hospitals are demanding patients pay their deductible prior to treatment.  Many of course can't afford to do this which means non-emergency treatment could be refused.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 58

I had no problems with medical insurance in Sarasota, Florida. About 6 years ago I was taken by ambulance to the ER with a suspected heart attack. The ER staff were only interested in treating me and didnt care how was going to pay. The admin dept just asked for the travel insurance details and dealt directly with the insurance co. I never saw any bills. Well that's not quite true, I got a bill for the ambulance about 6 months later. The silly local county admin people had tried to interpret my UK postcode as a US zip code when sending out the invoice!! After some time in the US postal system eventually it got back to them stamped 'Not in US' and they realised and put it in the international mail with a demand for 'overdue payment'. I just contacted the insurance co and they said no problem, happens a lot, just send it to us and we'll deal with it. 
Community Veteran

*note to self, next time you get sick in the US.....make sure it's in Florida
As I now understand it the areas of the US that are used to overseas visitors tourists etc, e.g. Florida seem to offer better medical support than some of the places I go to like Redneckville Pennsylvania.
Community Veteran

I think you're right there Santiago.  I would imagine some hospitals in the holiday areas do well out of tourists.  I read that insurance companies are very wary of all the tests US hospitals work up.  They do this for revenue and also to protect themselves from malpractice suites.
Superuser
Superuser

*note to self, next time you get sick in the US.....make sure it's in Florida

Yes, and if its heart problems I can highly recommend Sarasota Memorial Hospital, in fact the cardiologist who treated me had just returned from the UK where he had been training some of our consultants. He diagnosed my problem and fixed it with angioplasty within 6 hours. It would have taken months of waiting back in the UK.
Community Veteran

Yes, Sarasota has got a good reputation.  The big hospital near me is Bayfront which is also the trauma centre for this part of Florida.  Not all hospitals have a good reputation.  I know people who live near Palms of Pasadena and they have instructions not to be taken there if they are taken ill.  I think their information is now out of date but that's the way they feel.
Community Veteran

@
MisterW
Noted
Glad you're ok
Bet it was a bugger going all that way to the outpatient appointments though.
Superuser
Superuser

@artmo,
Not all hospitals have a good reputation.

The strangest thing for a visitor is that the ambulance crew ask which hospital you wish to be taken to!!
Fortunately for me, one of our US friends out there knew the hospitals and told them, in no uncertain terms, Sarasota Memorial!! 
Community Veteran

Quote from: MisterW
Fortunately for me, one of our US friends out there knew the hospitals

That is the key to a successful outcome.
Community Veteran

They also produce a list of top hospitals.  Only thing to bear in mind is that a hospital may have a good rating for its heart department but not rate so highly in another specialty.