cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone Unlocking

Community Veteran

Re: Mobile Phone Unlocking

Santiago,  AT&T has the best coverage in the US and they are great to deal with.  I pay 10 cents a minute and I'm sure you will know you also get charged here for incoming calls unless they are from their network.
If you go into any AT&T shop they will sort you out a SIM.  From memory I think I paid $25 and got about $30 of calls included.  I top up online or by phone.  Try to avoid the resellers who have booths in shopping malls as better deals are available from AT&T shops.
I think this link will help you find out what you want to know but if not get back to me:
http://tinyurl.com/djtq4b ;
Community Veteran

Artmo, thanks  for the reply.
I have been into various AT&T (and Cingular now) stores in different cities and asked for a sim card only. The staff said they didn't sell a sim card only  and said they only sold phones packages that would include a sim card. The package offered to me was the Go Phone shown in the link you sent. Yet you say you were able to buy a sim card, I'm confused.
On the website there does not appear to be an option of being able to buy a sim card only. The only option is to buy a phone with a sim I think.
There are two pricing options for the pay as you go.
One is Pay As You Go which the calls are at 0.25 cents / min
The other is the Unlimited Talk where the calls are at 0.10 cents per min plus $1.00 daily access fee. I presume this the plan you have?
Are you able to keep the number permanently and use it it each time you go back to the US?. If so do you have to top every  so often  to keep the number active (as I do with Virgin mobile)?
Enjoy the beach over the weekend *jealous
Community Veteran

Hi Santiago,  Yes the plan I'm on is the second one you list the unlimited one.  When you top up your phone it stays active for a certain length of time dependent on the amount of top-up.  I top  up $100 and that gives me a year before they would deactivate. This way I also keep the same number permanently which is useful if you want to display it on a business card or internet.
I don't understand why you can't just buy a SIM.  I will call into my AT&T shop in the next few days and get back to you.
Yes, the weather is holding up well with temps in the mid 80s. We had a weather alert issued for tonight when they expect the overnight temperature to drop into the 60s!  Don't you just love the Americans Smiley
Community Veteran

OK  thanks for your help. It will interesting to find out what they say at AT&T.
With the Virgin phone I have to top up $20 every 90 days to keep the number active. I switch around the plan I use depending on whether I am in the US or the UK.
When in the US to get the calls at 0.10 cents I use a plan which I pay $6.99 per month. Then when I come back the UK I switch back the more expensive call plan at 0.18 cents per minute but with no monthly charge, so when I am here the cost is zero.
Now go to the beach you are missing the best part of the day
Community Veteran

Santiago, just visited my friendly AT&T shop and asked about buying a SIM.  Thinking I was wanting to buy one he produced a pack for me.  In telling him your problem he couldn't understand the problem and confirmed they do sell stand-alone SIMS.
Regarding top -ups this is the deal:
Refill amount      Expiration Period
$15                        30 days
$25                        90 days
$50                        90 days
$100                      1 year
I top up $100 each time and the first time you do this you get a $5 bonus. Second time $10, third time $15, fourth time $15 and fifth time on $20.
Hope this helps.  I wonder if there are different policies in different States.  I'm here in Florida.  Where do you visit?
Community Veteran

Excellent, thank you very much for doing that. I will get one when I come over.
Based in of Philadelphia I work mainly in the north  and down the east coast but not usually in Florida. I do go to Tampa occasionally although I never tried to get the sim card there.
I believe there are different policies in place for a some things depending where you are. Healthcare for visitors being one, nightmare!
Community Veteran

Yes it's strange how different things change depending which State you are in.  What healthcare issues are you referring to?
Community Veteran

Long story, I was in Philadelphia I got sick with a rally bad chest infection. I just could not get an appointment to see a doctor because I did not have "medical Insurance". I called lots of doctors offices they all said they same thing. I did have travel insurance arranged by the company but this did not mean anything to to them. In the end I was advised to go to the emergency room at the local hospital. Same thing there, showed them the travel insurance paperwork, not interested. They said I could get treatment up to the credit limit on my credit card. So that is what I had to do. When I came back I claimed the money from the insurance company.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Hmm. Something to note for possible future reference  Sad
Community Veteran

I carry insurance with me that has 5m GBP of medical cover.  I wonder what would happen  if I tried to use it. It's OK if you require minor treatment because you can pay and then claim it back once you are home but anything major could be a problem. I think I have a 20k limit on my credit card and that would not get you a lot of care in the US. 
I once took a friend to a doctor's surgery and as we entered the first thing the receptionist said was 'Good morning, and how would you like to settle your bill today?'
Community Veteran

In a conversation with an American colleague just after about my hospital visit, I mentioned being kept in overnight in hospital. He said it wouldn't happen as the credit limit on my card would not cover it. A friend recently was kept in overnight  for some tests, the bill was $26,000.
I would recommend calling your insurance companies and asking them how their cover works in practice. Use my case in the US as a scenario and ask them what they would do to help you. I think you might get a shock.

Edit: apologies to Samuria for changing his thread from "mobile phone unlocking" to "medical insurance"
Community Veteran

Does any know how to unlock a Sony Ericson J132 for free? (don't worry, this is an OT forum  Cheesy )
Fixes: 247

Have a look here... seems right up your street http://www.gsm-forum.eu/sony-ericsson/22819-se-j132-unlock-support-world-first.html

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Community Veteran

Thanks adie, I did stumble across that one a while back I think. I wonder if it's safe to register, I'll have to use a disposable address.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
In a conversation with an American colleague just after about my hospital visit, I mentioned being kept in overnight in hospital. He said it wouldn't happen as the credit limit on my card would not cover it. A friend recently was kept in overnight  for some tests, the bill was $26,000.
I would recommend calling your insurance companies and asking them how their cover works in practice. Use my case in the US as a scenario and ask them what they would do to help you. I think you might get a shock.

Edit: apologies to Samuria for changing his thread from "mobile phone unlocking" to "medical insurance"

My parents racked up a high medical bill including ambulance, helicopters and hospital stay, the travel insurance company dealt directly with the hospital. They were in a coach that flipped in the West USA, the first I heard about it was when I saw my father on the BBC evening news being interviewed laying on a gurney.