cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone Unlocking

Community Veteran

Mobile Phone Unlocking

I had the need to have a phone unlocked and needed a new charger. Locally £15 to unlock it and £15 for charger, another local dealer said £10 to unlock stuck his cables in and messed about for an hour and couldn't unlock it.
Ebay charger 99p £1.25 posatge unlocking from 99p paid £3.50 sent my IEM number 15 mins later an email type this in and bingo unlocked.
What a rip off there must be a lot to the O/S of a phone we never get to read about like its built in dos type commands
Samsung codes
*#1111# S/W Version
*#1234# Firmware Version
*#2222# H/W Version
*#8999*8376263# All Versions Together
*#8999*8378# Test Menu
*#4777*8665# GPSR Tool
*#8999*523# LCD Brightness
*#8999*377# Error LOG Menu
*#8999*327# EEP Menu
*#8999*667# Debug Mode
*#92782# PhoneModel (Wap)
#*5737425# JAVA Mode
*#2255# Call List
*#232337# Bluetooth MAC Adress
*#5282837# Java Version
44 REPLIES
scootie
Grafter

Re: Mobile Phone Unlocking

i unlocked my a tesco samsung. got the info off the web. i had to leave the back off tho so you could get at the sim card to pull out when you shuting the phone down for the the unlock code to work.
i rember in 2000 when the was a code to stop the sim clock or somthing and your top up call cred didnt go down Grin but they patched that in about 2002.
Community Veteran

I would like to unlock my wifes old Orange samsung but they want to charge £30. I have tried the unlock codes off the web and ebay but nothing works.
When I wanted my vodafone unlocked I called them and they gave me the code over the phone for free. Orange are carp
Community Veteran

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

or you could get one of these babies http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13480 costs about £3 and will work with most phones, and it is transferable (a couple of times)
Ok it doesn't "unlock" the phone but does let you use any sim
Got one to try, was trying to get a Nokia E65 off flea bay but costs got too high, so will keep it till I need another unlocked.
itsme
Grafter

It's worth checking with the operator before shelling out money for a third party unlock. Vodafone I believe except for some of the smart phones do not lock phones anymore and the older phones can be unlocked for free.
If your phone is within commitment, there will be an administration fee for unlocking it from the Vodafone network. Once out of commitment, it is often free of charge but you should contact Customer Service to check

I know that when I changed from Vodafone to O2 in December I requested the unlock code from Vodafone online and they sent this to me in the post 10 days later. But, as I needed to unlock it sooner as the phone needed to have a working Vodafone SIM card inserted I took it in to a local shop and they unlocked it without any questions and charge in less than a minute.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I had  phone on an Orange 18 MONTH contract (one of the cash back ones luckily) and when I was coming out of contract I asked for an unlock code, they said yes £30 please, I said get **££*£*. It wouldn't even accept an Orange payg  Crazy
Took it to a market trader, he mucked about then said he couldn't unlock it as it came up with a lock after he had finished, so fine I didn't have to pay, but I later remembered I had changed the secondary security code  Embarrassed so put in a tesco payg and entered the code and all was fine  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A thing to bear in mind with Vodafone.
They used to lock contract mobiles, but no longer do so (according to them).
I found a post on their forum which stated that they'd supply the unlock code for free if it was a contract phone, regardless of how old it is.
If it's a PAYG phone over 12 months old then the code is also free, otherwise £19.99 (I think).
You send a quick message on their 'contact us' bit of their website, state the model number and IMEI.
They've e-mailed me back with the code within a couple of days.
So far, I've unlocked 3 of their contract phones for free Smiley
Community Veteran

Yes, I have found Vodafone to be helpful with unlocking, never had a problem with them.
Orange are a real PITA. I took the phone to an Orange shop and asked them about unlocking the phone. They said they don't know how to do it and for me to contact Orange.
The question is who owns the phone when the contract is finished, is it Orange or my wife?
All I want to do is use an Orange PAYG sim in the phone and the option to use a foreign sim card when necessary.
I saw a guy in the shopping centre today advertising unlocking and he said he would do it for a tenner, better than thirty but still a considerable cost compared to Vodafone.
I am going to have a look at the links provided above, Thanks
Community Veteran

You own the phone, After contract is up.
I had no problem with my Nokia phone that was bought as part of a Voda contract about three years ago. About six months ago - I changed from contract to PAYG and moved it to Tesco/O2.
I wrote to Voda - they gave me the code to migrate,  - put in the new SIM - phoned Tesco and the phone was operational in about 30 minutes and original number restored within 24 hours.
Voda wrote a very nice letter saying to sorry to loose you sort of thing, and your welcome back any time, but n marketing bullshit.
I was happily with Voda for 18 years, but O2 put in a new mast about 1.5k away and gives much better signal in the home.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The phone and the contract (I believe) are independent of each other.
So you own the phone from day one, but commit to having a contract.
Bit like getting hardware from PlusNet for another 6 months contract, you still own the hardware.
Though, technically the SIM card is the property of the network Smiley
The whole justification for phone locking is so the networks don't lose the subsidy by having you switch to another network.
I can see how that happens on PAYG, but not sure how that would work with a contract.
Takes the urine really.
In an ideal world, where say, Ofcom did anything, then I think they should ban locking contract phones. In fact some European countries are stricter than us.
But they're too busy doing nothing about premium rate number and text scams Angry
Community Veteran

I looked at the website suggested by Samuria and tried the unlock codes but they didn't work for me. I spent quite a while searching for the solution without success.
There are lots of people with the same phone, Samsung U600 looking for unlock codes. They are all complaining the unlock codes that are avavailable just don't work on this phone.
Why is this info not available on the net, is it so the unlock guys can stay in business or what? Huh
I did actually get the phone to recognise my Tesco sim card. I turned on the phone with the Orange sim in the phone. Keeping the phone switched on I removed the Orange sim and put in a Tesco sim, the phone rebooted and recognised the Tesco sim.
However when I restart the phone I get the invalid sim card error so I don't think I have unblocked it, maybe just fooled it for a while.  Angry
Community Veteran

You should be able to get a Samsung unlocked on Ebay as mine was a Samsung silver and its one of the cheapest phones to unlock. Try ebay but message the seller first with the IMEI number and ask if they can unlock it before you pay get the number by typing *#06# on the phone. Getting the number from the phone may give a different number than whats inside the phone which is were the problem is.
I tried a few with my Samsung emailed them first they confirmed they could unlock it paid and got the number in 15 mins form 99p to £5
Community Veteran

I am with O2 and they don't lock their phones.  I am currently using my Nokia in the US with an in AT&T SIM in it.
Community Veteran

artmo
when I am in the US I use a Virginmoble prepaid phone, Audiovox8610 which I have had for years. It works ok and is cheap enough at 10 cents a minute.
The phones on virgin are carp, real kiddy phones and don't use sim cards. I would like to use my nokia in the US but have never found a sensible sim only deal there. I would appreciate some info on your AT&T sim, if you wouldn't mind.