Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone Sat Navs illegal in Germany

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Mobile Phone Sat Navs illegal in Germany

12 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Mobile Phone Sat Navs illegal in Germany

glad I wasn't planning driving in germany again for a long time.
Hopefully not banned in tenerife as I plan to be there on Friday, assuming I get on the right plane  Grin
Will Moderate For Thanks
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The full text can be read here (in German) and here translated although you should be aware that Google's translator misinterprets the German for driving as 'tax' because the German for 'steering wheel' and 'tax' are the same.

That sounds logical.

nadger
Rising Star

Last summer I used sat nav I built into a phone in both France & Belgium - also used it in UK.
Phone ( Lobster 700TV) sits in cup holder with bluetooth gps receiver on dash board - alternatively SWMBO has it on her lap.
Unfortunately bluetooth on phone only works with active sim card in place - use one I picked up on eBay and don't even know the number without looking it up - original £2 credit is intact.
To be honest I don't really regard it as a mobile phone and certainly don't use one myself whilst driving - always had hands free kit when I worked.
firefly2
Grafter

did anyone see " send in the dogs " tonight.Huh police with dog used sat nav to take him to crime scene but it left him the wrong side of a load of bollards. he had to drive over the pavement. must say that i like my tom tom tho'. it saves me having to ring up my son to tell him that i am lost. Roll eyes got into the wrong lane once because of the cones and had to travel twenty miles up the m6 towards lancaster before i could turn around. was going to housing units at the time at failsworth. !!!!
Community Veteran

Who wants to go to Germany any way.
Surely using sat nav on a phone will be illegal here too as it is a held held device.
N/A

Not if its mounted in a bracket. Its only hand held if you need to hold it in your hand. If its in a bracket/holder then its OK AFAIK (in this country)
Community Veteran

mmm, I think I should get that clarified. I have tomtom on my phone but I don't have bracket, I just sit the phone in the cupholder (works for me!)
I will have to speak to local plod
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: firefly2
did anyone see " send in the dogs " tonight.Huh
I watched it and was not amused to see police driver having problems using his " talking broach" and steering vehicle which certainly wasn't under proper control.
Rest of us would have got a fine and points on our licence.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that the peculiar thing about British Law, the Mobile phone law quotes specific frequencies that are forbidden, it allows full use of other two way communications.  I.E. you can happily use a Citizens Band radio or Ham radio, hand held mike.
But I personally think that the Police mobile bolted on the lapel is even more dangerous than the Cell Phone.
Also, when they have an observer in the car why douse the driver have to use his comms
on the other Prog later Which was last Night Cars, Cops and Criminals,  Person stopped pulling trailer, not on driving licence, fined.  Just got my new photo ID card, it looked peculiar on the codes for what I could drive, As I had a HGC 1 until I retired, now can only drive a 3500 kg vehicle,  tried the info book, just 20 pages of stuff the the plain inglis should look at
N/A

Yeah - the photocard licence can be a bit baffling!
I'm also only licenced for up to 3500kg, I just missed the deadline for automatic 7500kg qualification as was the norm in the past.
As I understand it you have to take a test these days to add the trailer category to your licence.
Wonder how many people will get caught out towing trailers and caravans as camping and holidaying in this country take off due to the 'doom and gloom'/'credit crunch'/recession.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I've got the 7500Kg authorisation and trailers and minibuses etc - just for passing an ordinary car driving test.
I also benefit from not having my photo on the licence.
I remember driving a 7 ton lorry - with tail lift - (for the first and only time) when I moved house.
I took out some pedestrian railings when I turned at the end of the road, because you are sitting virtually over the front wheels.
You can't drive them like cars!

pierre_pierre
Grafter

True you have to take a trailer test if you are a Newbie, the cut off date is/was pre Jan 1997.  My problem is age related, I can get them back if my Doctor said "I am sound in body and mind" dont think any test involved in my case