Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone Roaming Charges further reduced in the EU

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mobile Phone Roaming Charges further reduced in the EU

Thanks to EU roaming rules, the cost of making and receiving calls when abroad in the EU is now substantially cheaper than in 2007, when the EU first started to tackle excessive roaming charges.
2014 approx 35% cheaper for call & text charges compared to 2012, mobile data is approx 70% cheaper compared to 2012.
http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/roaming-tariffs

Elsewhere in the World, just buy a local SIM for much cheaper calls to the UK.
And, if more than one of you, some US mobile to mobile calls on the same network are free, or at least they used to be.
And free incoming calls.
And switch off the UK Mobile Answerphone !!
Personally, I also use a US based charge card when abroad, (landline) works out at approx 1p per minute to call the UK, and many US local calls are free !!
8 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Mobile Phone Roaming Charges further reduced in the EU

Its only taken them 7 years
Wonder what is on store for us mere mortals in another 7 years ?Huh
WTF
Grafter

The problem with buying a local SIM of course, is that people can't easily reach you as you're on a different number.  Having roaming charges that don't break the bank is great - and we wouldn't have gotten them without the EU.
Don't know how things have changed in the last 15 years, but the situation in the US used to be that you incurred roaming charges whenever you went out of state - sometimes even just out of town.  Going from upstate from NY could incurr roaming charges depending on your network. 
I used to have a phone service when I was in Singapore that had very cheap international calls: you effectively called a local number and told them the number you wanted abroad, they then routed the call abroad.  You got charged for a local call plus a couple of cents.  I'm sure there are similar services here - though most people probably just use a skype-equivalent these days.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: WTF
The problem with buying a local SIM of course, is that people can't easily reach you as you're on a different number. 

Though it's not too difficult to send a text giving the new number before or after inserting the local SIM Wink
When in Ukraine I always get a local SIM but that is really just for contacting SWMBO if we go different directions for a while. I rarely, if ever, phone home. I'm on holiday so don't want to be bothered with 'home'  Roll eyes
For those instances my daughter wants a chat we stick to Yahoo - I'm not a lover of Skype or being on camera Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Though it's not too difficult to send a text giving the new number before or after inserting the local SIM Wink

I have a lot of contacts Wink
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I just swap out the sim card and carry on using Skype through mobile data plan .....that way it makes no difference where you are so long as you have data signal Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Mav
I'm not a lover of Skype

My daughter and her partner recently went on a short break to the Barcelona area.
The hotel provided a number of terminals for residents to hire.
In order to limit usage on their broadband connection the terminals were restricted to video only (no mikes or speakers) so we were reduced to hand signals and messages on bits of paper. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 123

That's a bit odd as the bandwidth needed for audio is nothing compared to that required for video. Are you sure it wasn't just to keep noise levels down?
I would have thought, if you are right, they would have been better off restricting to audio only.
Did they not supply a keyboard for typing messages, either?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

They did have a keyboard with some keys not working and a microphone was connected somewhere as we could hear muffled noises but couldn't make out speech but they couldn't locate it.
Very poor quality headphones were available to purchase for a stupid amount of money, this they found out towards the end of their mini break.
A decent audio link would have made them and the person sat beside me on my computer a whole lot happier.
It's a great pity the roaming charge reductions weren't in force then.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation