cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone Problem

penneck
Grafter

Mobile Phone Problem

My mobile phone may have died - ah! It is on the "3" PAYG phone service, and it was working okay, except that for the last week I haven't been able to access "Planet 3" to get at my account to check my balance. I tried contacting 3 via the web, but I couldn't remember my password. To get a password reminder, you have to give the last six digits of the number on the SIM card, but to get at the SIM card I have to take the battery out. No problem there you think. It was after I reassembled the phone - I cannot get any sign of life from the phone, though it does tell me the phone is charging when I plug the charger in.
Has the battery died? Is there some other thing I need to try before I bin the phone?
Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Mobile Phone Problem

Daft question..... have you put the sim card in the right way?  worth checking.... Undecided
Community Veteran

Can you turn on the phone when the charger is plugged in?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if its a nokia phone try holding the volume down button + power button down until the phone comes back to life (soft reset) other makes of phone have similar operations,
assuming its a smart phone and like most people you don't switch it off regularly it's probably crashed and needs the cache clearing out  Wink just like windows 95 used to do regularly if you didn't hit f5 on the desktop every 30 minutes (before they released a patch to fix the problem)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

When charging an iPhone with a dead battery it will be a short while (10 mins+) before the battery has enough 'grunt' to power the phone!  Shocked
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 125

Similar with my Galaxy S4 Mini. Sometimes I plug in it after it has turned itself off and it immediately shows as charging whereas other times it needs to be plugged in for some time before that happens. The only thing that seems to be consistent is if the phone has been off for some time then the charging isn't instant.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penneck
Grafter

Sorry for the delay in replying - busy times!
1. I have tried putting the sim card in all sorts of ways but can only get it in the correct way - the cut-off corner prevents it going in all the way if the wrong way, and if not in all the way, it gets in the way of fitting the battery.
2. I cannot turn the phone on when it is connected to the charger - the only sign of life is the phone telling me it is charging, or that it has finished charging.
3. Its a cheap ZTE phone, not a smart phone. I only use it when I need to, sometimes only once a month, other times several messages or phone calls over a few hours, but that has only happened once in the last few years, which is why bI am on PAYG
I have obtained the use of a voltmeter and checked the battery. Trying all three terminals in all combinations, I can find no sign of a voltage. Therefore, I have now assumed it is a dead battery and ordered a replacement - £3.49 inc delivery so it wont break the bank if it is the wrong answer.
Anyway, thanks to all for your support.
penneck
Grafter

New battery fitted and charged. Phone now works.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Simples !  Cheesy