cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone PUK

Fixes: 47

Mobile Phone PUK

Having watched Watchdog last night I decided, this morning to see about putting a passcode on my phone's SIM.
Going through the procedure it asked for my phone's PUK code which I didn't have to hand.
So I visited T-Mobile's site to get it.
Unfortunately everyone and their dog has jumped aboard the Black Friday bandwagon and www.t-mobile.co.uk would not load.
After 4 attempts my browser forced it's way through the crowd and I got my PUK code and finished what I was doing with my phone.
Argos has a bouncer at the door to their site allowing a limited number of people through at a time.
Roll on Saturday. Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Mobile Phone PUK

For the benefit of those who did not watch the program... could you give us a precis of it ?  Smiley
Might understand what your post is about then ! !  Cheesy
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Strat - Argos aren't the only ones - took me 65 minutes to get on Currys - at 0630 this morning!!  Huh
John

Sorry, you are quite correct shutter.
Basically if your mobile phone is stolen it can be used to make large numbers of calls to a costly premium rate number owned by the thief and you will be charged for these calls before you report the phone stolen.
The video on this page explains it http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/14XKQjHfLdbL73XgC98RdKg/mobile-phone-theft
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Aha.... thanks for the info...... the thief will not be interested in mine then.... it is PAYG and has about £6 left on it from the last top-up in February this year ! ! ! ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't see what the fuss is about Black friday for. I looked at the pc world site last night and most of their high prices had only been high for about a month before the sale - in other words they marked it all up to mark it back down again  Roll eyes
It's like criminals operating in this country.. the con is on and anyway you can fleece someone of their cash is acceptable.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Roll eyes
It was an interesting item in a programme that isn't always as good as it used to be.
@ Strat, one thing I didn't understand from the item was that if you lock your SIM does this mean that you have to unlock it every time you want to make a call?

The way mine is set up I have to 'unlock my SIM with a passcode.
Once the phone is unlocked it stays that way until the phone is rebooted.
I don't have a screen lock on at the moment.
Community Veteran

So does that mean if your phone is stolen once it has been re-booted you are still vulnerable to this trick Undecided

No.
Rebooting will lock the SIM and ask for the passcode but once unlocked if the phone is stolen the scam calls can be made.
If I let the phone go to sleep and then wake it up it's still unlocked.
In the unlikely event a thief nicks my phone and then immediately reboots it, he's locked out.
Community Veteran

This seems a weakness in this process. Most people would leave their phone switched on when it's in their pocket. So long as a thief doesn't attempt a re-boot  it isn't protected.
kmilburn
Grafter

Without the screen lock, you won't have any protection from the SIM lock until the phone's rebooted,  effectively rendering the SIM lock pointless.
Having a screen lock will usually prompt a thief to do a reboot, then restore the phone to factory settings to get round the screen lock,  but they'll still be stopped by the SIM lock.
Also with Android and IOS, you can encypt the phone, which will result in all personal data being irretrievably lost if they do a restore.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: kmilburn
Without the screen lock, you won't have any protection from the SIM lock until the phone's rebooted,  effectively rendering the SIM lock pointless.

The reason you lock the SIM is to stop the thief getting around the phone lock by putting it into another phone.
kmilburn
Grafter

That's one of the reasons for using the SIM lock, but that's only useful if they cannot use the SIM in the current phone,  which they could do easily without a screen lock.
They could even figure out that the SIM is locked, so they know not to reboot the phone or move the SIM to a different phone.

The moral of this story is keep your phone secure from thieves.
As I mentioned on another topic I see loads of people with phones stuck out of a back pocket begging to be stolen and that's just one example.
What planet do these people live on.