Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MoT's in UK -v- Northern Ireland

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

MoT's in UK -v- Northern Ireland

I've just read this article on the BBC about motorists in Northern Ireland missing their MoT test, can I assume from this that the approach to these is different in Northern Ireland than it is in the rest of the UK?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Fixes: 888

Re: MoT's in UK -v- Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland, tests must be carried out at a specific MOT testing site operated by the DVA,

This has to be a big difference and I would welcome the tests been done here but someone without a vested interest in making money out of un-needed repairs.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Anonymous 

I read that article earlier and two things stuck me;

1.  The test cost given was £30.50 which seems at odds to the maximum I've seen at £50+ (in England at least).

2.  It infers there is a cost to the motorist for missing the test in NI, so does that mean they pay at booking time?  I've always paid when collecting the car.

Edit:  Correction, I didn't read that article, I read the shortened TV text version.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah! OK then so a specific testing site is not likely to be “Joe’s Garage", and the addition to the cost must be to pay the garage for their time @RobPN. Yeah @dvorak I like the idea myself, but to be fair to my local garage I've had many an MoT when there's nothing to be done in order to pass.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

You can get your MOT done at some "council" vehicle maintenance depot`s... (used to be bus depot`s ) where they have no "vested interest" in pass or failure because if you fail,  they are not allowed to do the work... so you must book it in to another garage for any work needed.

Do a google search for your town. city      "council MOT station"

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had mine done at my local bus depot for many years until they closed.

No "vested interest".

I could see that might not be exactly true if there was only one garage near the depot run by a depots relative,

After all this sort of thing happens all the time with mp's and councillors.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@billnotben 

Yeah, but..... you did not have to take it there. .. it "may" have been suggested as it was "close by".

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

True enough.

I miss the old depot. They were always friendly and any minor adjustments like headlight alignment or carb they just did it on the spot as part of the mot service.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

@dvorak wrote:

In Northern Ireland, tests must be carried out at a specific MOT testing site operated by the DVA,

This has to be a big difference and I would welcome the tests been done here but someone without a vested interest in making money out of un-needed repairs.

This is how the Spanish ITV works. You have to go to a registered ITV station and the car has to be as specified on the matriculation document. No extras or modifications, unless carried out by a garage and receipted, or added to the document. If the car fails, you have to take it away for repairs, they are not carried out on site. ITV is every 2 years. France has similar I believe.