Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mist and Fog

Fixes: 47

Mist and Fog

Apparently this is a legal requirement.
Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

You wouldn't have thought so from the number of vehicles I saw today with no lights on at all in thick fog.
No doubt they didn't have a hand free as one was holding their mobile phone and the other was turning down the volume on the radio Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
22 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Mist and Fog

but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

So many ignore this part, too, which can be annoying/distracting when you have a bright red light in front of you.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah more cars should adopt the Volvo approach and automatically have the lights on when the engine is running (running/ sidelights) it would at least provide some indication that a car was on the road even if the muppet behind the wheel was busy eating food /having a shave/doing makeup etc and then no more forgetting to turn them on ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I understand they are giving away Fog Blankets for free in some areas of the UK
Fixes: 47

I've seen some cars with a single bright red light on the rear but no other lights on at all.
I say cars but they were 4 x 4 vehicles which are commercial vehicles so maybe it doesn't apply to non-domestic vehicles.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

What really annoys me is the three bright red lights of the car in front of me when waiting at traffic lights!  Angry
Don't cars have parking brakes anymore?
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I think drivers who drive without lights should be prosecuted. We had heavy mist/fog in Essex this morning and a few drivers didn't have any lights at all.
Fixes: 125

Plus those that still bomb down A roads and motorways where there is reduced visibility. They just don't seem to care that they cannot see far enough in front to be able to take avoiding action if the need be Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Preacherlady
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
What really annoys me is the three bright red lights of the car in front of me when waiting at traffic lights!  Angry

Guilty but I keep my foot on brakes at lights as am driving an automatic and it is advised that you do in the handbook!
Have not been out in car today but have seen on the previous foggy mornings car without lights while I have mine on!  I use a difficult junction at times and found it very irritating to suddenly see a car appear through gloom without lights just as you think road is clear to go!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: NedLudd

In order for the Automatic Engine Stop on my Hybrid !!!   to operate I have to keep my foot on the Brake, and this is probably so for some other cars too.
itsme
Grafter

Condsidration to other drivers, you will complain if the car in front had fog lights on. Fog and brakes lights are the same wattage.
beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: PlusComUK
In order for the Automatic Engine Stop on my Hybrid !!!   to operate I have to keep my foot on the Brake, and this is probably so for some other cars too.

Same on my Seat Leon - it's one of these dual clutch electronic shift autos, even if I'm not using the Start/Stop system I have to keep the foot brake pressed otherwise it will start fighting against the handbrake. Only option would be to shift to neutral at every stop.
nanotm
Pro

on my old metro 1.3l city it had a slide resistor on the brake peddle, the further you pushed down the brighter the brake lights got, damn thing needed replacement parts every other month, but i'm sure with a modern vehicle they could figure out a sensor based version of the same thing, after all the brake is applied and the car wont move with only a slight amount of pressure so no need for full brightness at the lights all the time, especially if it had a failure state that just switched full brightness on.
another old car I had Nissan cherry Europe, the rear fog lights would illuminate when you pushed the brake peddle all the way to the ground, found out when a plod told me about it after narrowly missing a couple of kids chasing a football ...... then again that car had some epic funny flashing stuff when you hit the 4 ways, all the lights would flash in opposition to the indicators only had it a couple of months before it went to the scrappy but hey for something that cost me less than £50 it did the job of getting from a to be without major troubles /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Another problem in this kind of weather is cyclists. Whilst driving this morning there was a cyclist without any lights and not wearing suitable clothing. A further 2 cyclists had no rear lights. Stupid Angry
Community Veteran

One shouild be allowed to sue cyclists for damaging the paintwork of one's Bentley if they ride in foggy conditions without lights or bright clothing.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.