Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misnomer

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Misnomer

Are we being misled when it comes to the way fibre broadband is being offered?

Seems that the Advertising Standard Authority thinks we are and I have to say, I happen to agree with them for how can it be promoted as such when in some if not many cases the last leg of the journey of data to our home is not by fibre but by copper wire. Not unlike being sold a car that can go at a hundred miles on hour - but not on three wheels!

Time for plusnet to come clean and advertise it for what it often is, a hybrid service and not a current cake........ with no currents.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Misnomer

The ASA is to blame on this issue. I wrote to them five years ago warning BT's use of the term "Fibre" was misleading. Their response to me was that they'd already considered the issue and decided BT's use was okay.  I know many others made similar contact with the ASA. Gavin Patterson continued the misleading, including statements to MPs.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Hard to understand why they should be blamed besides which, its the ASA that's pushing for change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39490847

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I’m with you guys on this. If (I didn’t know better) and I was offered a Fibre service then in reality I would expect to get just that, along with a dedicated termination point in my house from that of the phone, as light and copper don’t mix.

However, if it were advertised and sold as ‘fibre supported’ broadband service then I’d expect something different. The same applies to Virgin as well as they deliver service via co-axial.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But PN do offer FTTP !

If you can't get FTTP is it the fault of PN or the responsibility of whoever owns the cable or puts cable into new buildings ie: BT.

I guess most people could get FTTP but they would have to have deep pockets to pay for changing the cable as BT are unlikely to pay.

Minivanman
Hero

@Mav

Happy to read this topic here Mav as it will get more readers, but why was it moved from 'Fibre Broadband' under your Services section?

Just curious. Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed they do @gleneagles but are missing the point?

I did say in my opening post  "....when in some if not many cases" Very few if any here will be unaware of what is provided, but the point being made is that plusnet and others are being a little disingenuous don't you think.   

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Minivanman wrote:

Are we being misled when it comes to the way fibre broadband is being offered?

Seems that the Advertising Standard Authority thinks we are ...

I agree, it's about time VDSL was advertised as what it actually is.

Minivanman wrote:

how can it be promoted as such when in some of if not many cases the last leg of the journey of data to our home is not by fibre but by copper wire.

I'd have to disagree slightly with the accuracy of that point as it's actually most cases, as AFAIK under 2% of the country is covered by FTTP. Roll eyes

nadger
Rising Star

Am I the only person who gets totally bored with ASA moaning about definition of fibre broadband?

maranello
Aspiring Pro

Minivanman wrote:

@Mav

Happy to read this topic here Mav as it will get more readers, but why was it moved from 'Fibre Broadband' under your Services section?

Just curious. Smiley

Putting it here allows free rein to make off topic comments.

For example

Time for plusnet to come clean and advertise it for what it often is, a hybrid service and not a current cake........ with no currents.

What about a superseded cake with no seeds?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Fixes: 123

@Minivanman

As your post was not requesting help with a Fibre connection the tone of your OP led me to feel it would be better served as an open discussion within General Chat rather than keeping it specific to Plusnet within Feedback as it appears to affect all ISPs.

But thanks for raisin the questionWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

Indeed they do @gleneagles but are missing the point?

I did say in my opening post  "....when in some if not many cases" Very few if any here will be unaware of what is provided, but the point being made is that plusnet and others are being a little disingenuous don't you think.   

Yes ok I accept what you say.

But is it really important ? If you said to broadand users the service will be provided by fibre/ copper cable I suspect many would not really be bothered, what people bother about is the speed and realibility of their broadband and expect a speed in line with what is advertised so the ASA would be far better concentrating on that aspect of advertising rather than the fibre/copper issue.

So to recap I agree with what you say but feel the ASA would be better concentrating on speed/cost issues of broadband.

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

... its the ASA that's pushing for change.

The management of the ASA resisted "pushing for change" for at least five years despite people telling them it was wrong.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

Hard to understand why they should be blamed besides which, its the ASA that's pushing for change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39490847

For allowing it in the first place, and for sticking with their stance even as late as last year.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/04/asa-uk-finally-opens-investigation-fibre-broadband-prom...

Minivanman
Hero

Fair enough, but an interesting subject to air all the same. :-)