Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading broadband ads hiding true costs, Citizens Advice says

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Charity finds more than half of consumers unable to identify cheapest deal when comparing offers, potentially leaving them heavily out of pocket
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/dec/23/misleading-broadband-ads-hiding-true-costs-citizens-adv...
11 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Misleading broadband ads hiding true costs, Citizens Advice says

yet another agenda based mouthpiece of the corporate governance beast providing further unqualified anecdotal evidence that the general public are thicker than two stumpy planks by utilising a specially selected tiny group of people and extrapolating that as if it might be representative of the wider population.....
I can ask a bunch of 18 yr olds the same question and find that 85% of them would fail to understand the costs...... 

the real problem is not the adverts misleading people but the constant attempts to enforce state coddling of what are supposed to be educated adults through the spurious use of so called charitable groups advocating that "its for everyones good", broadband contracts are complicated because those self same groups advocated to have it as a separate billable entry to the basic phone service back In the day, now there pushing for the prices to be included as a single entry requiring more legislation to justify their existence .....
its long past time the liberal doogooders stopped meddling with stuff they don't understand and left it for hose that care to engage brain and stop looking at the shiny stuff then asking for a lawyer to get them some compo!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

Sorry but when they advertise a Broadband + Telephone package that include calls at £x you should not need to search around to find whether this include line rental and then search around to find how much the line rental is.
nanotm
Pro

you don't,
it is clearly stated in the signup process,
if your just curious about the price and perusing  then you can easily see the "standard line rental price" and then looking to the bottom of the advert shows you what this price is, nothing is ever "hidden" in the manner they suggest just look at standard line rental prices (every company has one) should that price be a single entry on the bill how do you know what package deal your on and if its cheaper to swap to a newer offer ?
if CAB wanted to do something positive then it should insist that the line rental prices stopped creeping upwards every year when infrastructure prices are sliding down year on year !
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

The survey asked consumers to compare two deals and work out the price of a broadband contract based on ads and marketing material on seven different providers’ websites.

Out of my own interest I checked the main five providers (See attachment)....
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Which proves that what the advertising standards really need to crack down on is the definition of "FREE".
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

A very quick change would be to enforce that all prices are the same size, colour and style of font as the word "free", ditto for duration of any single element and the total contract length.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
Which proves that what the advertising standards really need to crack down on is the definition of "FREE".

It doesn't exist... the customer still pays for it somehow..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

you get something for free as a bonus for getting something else you wanted......that its for a limited period of free doesn't mean its not "free", 99% of people who take out a broadband or fibre contract do so because they want the total product meaning there getting the total product for less than it would normally cost, and anyone who isn't working out the total cost of each product and comparing them like for like without any discount is doing it wrong.
Community Veteran

The Advertising Standards Agency failed when they allowed FTTC to be described as fibre broadband by ISPs. Now they try to make a stand on price description.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I must admit i was rather disappointed to find out our fibre wasn't actually fibre but instead to the cabinet... and then a short distance down copper at a slower than fibre rate.
But I can't complain seeing as it's a lot faster than the adsl we had at 6MB for the last 8 years! 30MB v 6MB... big difference!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just for fun ( aka insanity) I made a comparison cost chart. What surprised me was how suppliers' positions in the cumulative cost table were so constant. Doing that for real as a punter would be a challenge to many.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.