cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading advert...

Fixes: 124

Misleading advert...

Last week I received an email from Staples regarding 2 A3 canvas prints usually £35 each but £30 for both. I think £35 is a bit steep for 1 but £30 for two is good. My daughter wanted to do a couple of canvas prints for her mum so I took her to a local Staples yesterday.
She gave me the receipt afterwards which showed the original price of £21 each with a £12 discount for both. Although she never paid more that the £30 as advertised, so no further out of pocket, the bargain is not as good as what the advertisement led you to believe it would be. Would you complain to Staples or even report this to Trading Standards or just let it go?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Misleading advert...

Do you have the small print (there is a 1 next to the price)?

Yes, simply states it's an in-store offer only.
1. A3 Canvas Prints, 2 for £30 inc VAT, valid in store only.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Complain to the store and then the ASA.
There are clear and defined rules on discounting items and how long they should have been at their normal price before being discounted etc. Too many retailers break the rules - you think you are getting a good deal, but it's more a case of trying to trick you with marketing and 'full prices' which were only in place for a very very short time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's a good price, and I'm looking for some canvases BUT I won't go there!  I will not support con artists. Angry

Last year I ordered a customized size canvas from here. I ordered on a Sunday evening and the print was delivered two days later. Great quality and service.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You were sold canvas A3 print for £21 each
Did you order 2? If so that would come to £42 then with £12 discount that comes to £30 as advertised.
I don't see any problem, its just how their till system works probably.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up

Yes I did buy two for £30 but my issue is that the receipt states the original price as £42 for the pair and not £70 as claimed in the advert.
So, although I have not paid any more than what was expected the bargain doesn't seem so good and I feel that I have been mislead. There was nothing in store to show the true price of the canvases being at £21 just the adverts in the email that states:
Normally £35 each

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You got them for £30
Why are you complaining?  Cheesy
It makes no sense, its just a little error.  Maybe one is web and other is store price.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up

It's an in-store offer only as stated in the pic in the OP.
I simply do not like being mislead by anyone.
But I have too many other things going on right now to argue with/complain to them over it. So they will simply not get my custom again Angry

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

they mixed up there prices is all, in store price is £21 but online price is normally £35.
so yes they could be misleading people but at the same time they are doing the deal price as advertised, its rather a tricky one and could be put down to a miss print rather similar to the dodgy email LaSenza sent out last week advertising "Lux Panites" they sent out an email with the correct spelling and adjusted there webpage within 30 mins but the damage was already done Smiley (it was supposed to say "Lux Panties")
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

You could be right although I did receive two emails a week apart both offering the same discount so plenty of time to put things right.
Either way as we're not out of pocket no point taking it further.
Too many other more important things and issues to deal with Roll eyes