cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading Advert ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Misleading Advert ?

Take a close look at "cough medicine" adverts.... all claim to solve the problem, with their various concoctions.... and most of them use a "representative"  type of graphic, associated with ( usually) a pretty lady, disposing of the contents of a spoonful of the medicine.......  into her mouth.... ( switch to the video of what happens next )....
Ugh !... NO... ! not really...  
It appears that when the pretty lady has emptied the contents of the spoon into her mouth,... those contents then go down her windpipe and spread evenly through her lungs....
Surely this is a case of Misrepresentation... and misleading...  

.... If the cough mixture were to enter her ( or anyone taking it ) lungs.. she would be choking at the minimum.  A highly dangerous state of affairs.....  
I haven`t contacted the ASA yet.... just wondered if anyone else has the same thoughts as me  ? ?  
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Misleading Advert ?

So, I'm not supposed to inhale cough medicine?  Shocked
Fixes: 125

Isn't it supposed to depict how/where the medicine works rather than it's journey through the body?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@ Mav..... and that is the whole point of my posting..... 
You don`t put cough medicine down your windpipe..... it goes down your food pipe... the two are not connected... !  therefore... the graphics are misleading, as the "medicine" does not go into the lungs to clear the cough ... it goes into your gut, just the same as  a tot of whisky  or a bacon butty.... ... the adverts are showing that it travels down the windpipe into the lungs...
Fixes: 125

I see what you're getting at but just don't see it as particularly misleading Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
just wondered if anyone else has the same thoughts as me  ? ?  

Yes I have. I've frequently thought those adverts are misleading and frankly given that scientists carried out years of work into curing the common cold and gave up because it mutates and they realised they couldn't achieve it, i am miffed that these private companies still claim to have the medicines that cure it.
I've had man flu for about 2 weeks (yeah right through flaming xmas... and yeah my throat was flaming too). I don't normally believe in paracetamol but the missus said i should pop a couple twice a day... me being me said it wouldn't work (it never does) and eventually felt so rotten that i gave it a go. While it obviously didn't fight off my cold it did seem to stabilize my temperature so that i didn't keep getting too hot / cold and struggling to stay comfortable.
What really winds me up is the amount of snot that is generated... you either get it out via the nose or it goes down your throat... and somehow crawls back up and then into your lungs which is just as vile (and poses a risk to you if your lungs get too full).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

In the good old days us kids had Vick rubbed on our chests.
That did go in our lungs and it always made us feel better.
Or maybe it was our Mum fussing over us that did that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: billnotben
In the good old days us kids had Vick rubbed on

still use vick today, dab on the nostrils, soon cures all ills Roll eyes
Community Veteran

@ journeys...... does that work for "piles"  ?  Shocked
Community Veteran

@shutter, expect it does, but I've never needed to try Tongue
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Quote from: billnotben
In the good old days us kids had Vick rubbed on

still use vick today, dab on the nostrils, soon cures all ills Roll eyes

It may well work but i've always been suspicious as to what that stuff is doing to you internally.
It's easier just to cough up and spit out the phlegm and get it completely out of your lungs. Granted it doesn't look very nice but at least you're not inhaling chemicals to keep your lungs functional.
Community Veteran

We used to ban Vick on scout camps. Even the mere possession of a tub of Vick attracted additional chores/duties.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Might one ask why?
Community Veteran

It's a chemical... it stinks... and the long term effects on ones lungs are unproven.
Think of it as cigarette smoke.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Well you would have thought that in the 110 years it's been around if there were any adverse effects these would have been flagged up by now.